FA Mystify vs. Headstage arrow: Synergy with Cowon J3 and my IEM's
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Redmetal1897

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

So I know nothing about amps but of course I would be willing to try anything to improve the sound (which is already fantastic). 

So I have the Ortofon eq-5's, Fischer Audio Silver Bullets and the Panasonic HJE 900's. For the SB's I have to pump the volume up fairly high on my J3 to get it loud enough, it still sounds great, but what I'm thinking would happen with an amp is that it would get more body instead of just sounding loud like it does with the J3. The Pana's are great on their own and the Orto's can tend to be a little harsh when I turn the sound up, so once again I'm hoping it will still have the body as opposed to become loud.

Does anyone have any experience using these two amps with the aforementioned gear? Which one has better synergy? A couple of months from now I will probably end up getting some full sized cans, probably the HD650's or a pair of Denons (undecided) so which amp would lend itself to these?

Thanks!

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 4
I can tell you that an Arrow will definitely add more body to the sound rather than just get louder. One thing I noticed when comparing the headphone out of my 5g ipod and the modded lineout was that I could actually get much more involving sound at lower volumes than I could ever get no matter how loud I cranked the HO of the ipod. The sound was much smoother and just seemed to really open up the potential of my UM3X's.

After my re-molds, my UM3X's tended to be slightly sibilant with the headphone out because the treble really opened up. After everything had burned it, I found that the sibilance was significantly decreased via the Arrow.

I believe this is the result of improved power handling and the Arrow's own sound signature.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Just a heads up , but mcgravity has a 2G arrow FS for 260$

In case Daanish or someone else wanna grab it.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back