F*&KING copyright protected cd's!!!
Jun 14, 2005 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
Man, I AM pissed.

As a long-standing supported of the recorded music industry, purchasing compact discs every Tuesday basically for most of my adult life, I can't stand these new copyright protected cd's, the ones with the MediaMax software on it. As you see on my long-standing signature below, I share none of my music, and all of my DAP's are filled with my cd's...

Here, I am all I want to do is copy a cd in WMA to my iRiver iHP-120...but this damn copyright protection will not allow me to get a clean copy of it. I know I have overridden this before somehow, I just forget, could someone remind me what to do? I'd appreciate it.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 46
you might be able to simply hold down the left shift key while you load the CD. This temporarily disables the "autorun" feature which is what's loading the copy-protection crap off the CD. I know this works on a certain type of protection, but definitely not all of them.

BTW, I agree with you on everything you posted above. Combine all that with Dual-Disc, and and you have an industry that is really gettting on my last nerve.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 46
Music of the future:

Frustrated teens making recordings of bathroom concerts for sharing over P2P.

Seriously...the way it is going I will actually listen to good bathroom operas and wannabe musicians and vocalists for free...rather than listen to some of these "celebrity musicians" who dish out crap that costs me money!

Concerts should be free...on-the-house...money made by people buying food and alcohol or some other more deesirable "service"
tongue.gif

I prefer a small concert over a mega sports stadium event. Just last year I was at a Cockney Rebel (Steve harley) concert...he was as good as ever...more fun per minute than any other artist I have seen up close. He would actually talk to the audience and stuff...pure mindless banter...just like his music
smily_headphones1.gif

Freedom!!

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 46
I've not encountered this. Please explain. You simply can't rip the CD at all? Are there any identifying labels so one can know a particular title is copy-protected? I would simply refuse to buy the CD if I knew ahead of time about it. (at least until one of our enterprising wise-guy programmers figured out the freeware decrypter program
icon10.gif
)

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 46
Just put it in and hold down shift so it can't load all its malware crap.

Then use Easy CD-DA Extractor to rip it.

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 46
I imagine eac+lame or cdex+lame would solve the problem in mp3. Unless you need wma strictly.

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 46
When I was in Canada this past weekend, I bought Coldplay’s new album “X&Y” and didn’t see EMI’s copy control logo on it. Apparently, EMI has instituted this copy protection on some of its CDs in Canada, Australia and Europe and this could be coming to the US soon.

copy_control_logo_.jpg

I vowed never to buy on of these CDs again after the trouble I went through last time trying to rip some music onto my MP3 player. Actually you can’t even call these compact discs since they don’t work in every player or computer. I promptly went to Best Buy last night and bought the American version of “X&Y” which has no copy protection and I am regifting the one I got from Canada.

Damn record companies!

Copy Protection Sucks

mad.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 46
Copyright protection is the way of the future. Get used to it. The record companies have lobbying power and money, and all we have are a few ingenious people trying to bypass whatever crap they decide to pull over us in order to stop their declining sales. I guess they never attributed the drop in sales to the decline in quality of their products. In the 70's we actually had good popular bands - Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, I could go on. In the 60's, rock music was rock music, and not this garbage that we have now. In the 90's we had grunge, not the best necessarily, but definitely not the dark ages that the 70's were. And now we have... what? Rap? Hip-hop? Sorry, that's been commercialized and is now a mockery of everything that it had once stood for. Nu-metal? Name me one good popular nu-metal band. Pop? R'n'B? You've got to be kidding.

The record industry needs to take a chance on some new talent instead of trying to put out the same garbage over and over and hope that it will sell as well as when it was still fresh and new. Instead, they try new schemes to wheedle money of their customers for the same junk over and over - and their schemes will work. They'll see to that.

Here's one big, massive cheer to everyone combatting the recording industry. I'm not a supporter of file sharing - I do want the artists to get paid, but I don't want to feed a massive, parasitic, bloated industry that does absolutely nothing for the state of popular music except making it worse.

I wish I could help out in the problem at hand, but I do mostly get music from independent labels - which is better anyway - and I don't have to put up with any of that copy protected crap.

Here's an idea: get a file-sharing program and see if you can find them in lossless.

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
So what am I missing -> I thought it was totally legal to copy a CD you purchased to your hard drive??
confused.gif

I lot of record companies such as EMI/Capital and BMG are now putting copy protection schemes on their CDs that make it hard to rip them from a CD Rom drive. For example, trying to rip CDs with EMI’s copy protection will create small popping sounds and hisses in your files. T

These CDs can still be copied analog using a cable. Legally, these can’t be called CDs because they don’t meet the sound quality standards of a CD, plus a lot of people report having trouble playing them in a car or other type of CD player. They must have clear warning on the case that the CD is copy protected.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 46
Copy protection is usually lazy enough to only deal with Windows. Picking another OS is another way around. Multiple CD drives and Knoppix might even work. OS X is usually free from it.

Jun 14, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 46
if you have an iRiver, could'nt you just record it directly throught the digital in? Thats what I would do on my MD. Was'nt there a big court case over those discs that in the end resulted in them no longer being allowed to call them CDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back