EZDAC is officially working!!!
Apr 13, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #62 of 69
It's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished building my ezDAC v.1.5. The toaster oven method really worked well for me, as I had so much trouble with hand soldering this guy. It sounds at least as good as the first version, maybe better - even after powering up for the first time. Now, I got to case it up...Stay tuned.

ezDAC v.1.5 with ezDual and SqueezeBox Duet Receiver
IMG_0007_lores.jpg

IMG_0008_lores.jpg

IMG_0006_lores.jpg

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you change for 1.5?

Besides the silkscreen/soldermask (which makes building easier), I redid many of the traces to make them shorter or more direct, added more decoupling capacitors, separated the regulators so that they can be powered individually (you can see I've jumpered them with the red wire), changed most of the smt components to 0805, and added pads for current regulating diodes. The circuit itself, is mostly unchanged, though. It's still CS8416->AD1896->PCM1794. I had a lot of help from some fellow DIYers on my ShinyMetal forum.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by multibit16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can see quite a few bits and pieces have been added
icon10.gif

245458821.jpg

Hi, you added your own PSUs, right - what pcbs are you using and how large an improvement do they make to the sound? Thanks.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #69 of 69
Hey all. It's been almost 13 years since this thread was active. Wow. Time flies. I'm curious if anyone could tell me (if they remember my ezDAC) what are the advances in DAC technology since the mid-2000s? One of these days I'd like to take up DIYing again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back