Eyeglasses: Having Trouble Finding Rimless Styles I Like
Oct 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't the money for LASIK/LASEK, and I just can't get the hang of inserting and removing contact lenses -- so I'm stuck with glasses.

I've been wearing the same frames for about eight years now - with the prescription only changed once. I definitely need a whole new pair!

My goal is to find either eyeglasses which harmonize with my facial features and personality, or to find eyeglasses which have the least visual impact possible - being as close to "invisible" as one can get. Let's focus on the latter for this thread, since I haven't a camera to show you my face (nor would you want to see it!)

I bought a half dozen pairs of pince-nez, thinking they were the ticket - but since optical shops don't carry new models of this style, I've had to get mine from eBay, without trying them on first. To date I have not found one that fit and did not come off as I made typical facial expressions - not to mention that no opticians in the area have any idea of how to work with them!

All the rimless eyeglasses that I find have intolerable nose bridges - where they extend into the field of view, and are much more ornate than I would like, looking like infant Eiffel Towers, or art nouveau sculpture. I prefer saddle bridges, for example, and don't like nosepads.

I'd like to find a pair of rimless that are as color-neutral as possible -- clear, silver or white gold. Cable temples instead of the big thick things that most have. As light as possible. And the capability to accept round/circular lenses instead of rectangular ones.

Know anything that fits the bill? I've searched and searched with no luck at all!

Thanks, bye!!!!

Oct 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 19
If you have "searched and searched" then you have probably come across Silhouette eyeglasses from Austria (Silhouette). I wear a pair of Silhouette's mostly because they are extremely light (heavy glasses give me a headache) but also because they are unobtrusive.

More to your point... They come in many different frame styles and colours. So you should be able to find something you can live with frame-wise. Also, the optometrist who sold me mine mentioned that the lenses are infinitely customizable. If you can't find a shape that suits your face, you can have your optometrist grind a custom pair for you.

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 19
Haha, I will not pierce my nose.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the tip though!

Yes, I have seen Silhouette. Unfortunately they have the problems I mentioned.
frown.gif
While their bridges are not so ornate as to be an issue in that regard, they still extend too far into the lens itself for my liking, and all have nosepads.

Thanks though!

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 19
That's a good point! Mine are pretty thick.
frown.gif

I think I would like a "top rimless" style...

The problem you see is that my eyebrows are quite thick, so any kind of frame with a substantial top to it - it just doesn't look right. Also difficult to know which shape to pick!

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 19
Try some of the online glasses sellers. I recently got a couple more pairs from Goggles4U and you can find other merchants listed through the Glassy Eyes blog. I'm posting from the phone and can't paste URLs, but a Google search should bring those right up.

I've picked up a half dozen pairs online so far and have been happy with them. The trick is knowing your PD. There are several ways to measure it yourself - Google that and you will find them. I measured mine by using a mirror and a pen to put a dot directly over my pupils on an old pair of glasses. Then I measured the distance between the two dots with a ruler. I don't know if that's as precise as the optician, however, the glasses I've received have been perfect. And for $30-$50 a pair, it's worth keeping a few extra pairs around.

As for a specific brand of rimless, I've been wearing Gold & Wood frames for the past five years. They've been terrific. The bridge is plain, however, it does extend into the field of view a little. The good news is that your brain eventually tunes them out. They bothered me at first and now I can't see them any more.

Which, by the way, is the same reason I don't believe in cables or burn-in. If my brain can filter out something that is actually there it can also add things that aren't there based on your expectations.

Anyhow, not to derail the thread, but I'd recommend a cheap online pair to see if you'll also tune out the bridge. Small investment and you might see it "disappear" after a few days.

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 19
Aw heck, go with the oh so geek style like Elvis Costello wears... Diana Krall likes 'em
wink.gif

No help, I know, I know...

Oct 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll keep looking. At least most of these online retailers let you send it back if you don't like it, unlike a lot of eBay sellers.

I was considering big black round Harold Lloyd style glasses, or maybe little thin round John Lennon style.
frown.gif
I don't know - I guess there's no way around just ordering a ton and experimenting.

Thanks again!

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have "searched and searched" then you have probably come across Silhouette eyeglasses from Austria (Silhouette). I wear a pair of Silhouette's mostly because they are extremely light (heavy glasses give me a headache) but also because they are unobtrusive.

More to your point... They come in many different frame styles and colours. So you should be able to find something you can live with frame-wise. Also, the optometrist who sold me mine mentioned that the lenses are infinitely customizable. If you can't find a shape that suits your face, you can have your optometrist grind a custom pair for you.

X2. I own two pairs and find them very comfortable.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 19
I've had glasses since like third grade. I went from full rim, to half rim, and now fully to rimless, with one eye being PRKed(horror story). I am currently wearing the rimless, and the point you made about the nose bridge being very noticeable is true at first but eventually you just learn to look past it and ignore it. It took me about two weeks to fully adjust and it sometimes still throws me off. I also see iRiver said that rimless don't look good with thicker lenses and I would have to say it really depends. I have no prescription in one eye and a prescription in the other so there is a large size discrepancy between lenses so now it looks a little odd but when they were the same they did not look too bad.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want something with a little personality, try Moscot. I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger on their "Glenn" model.

those are pretty awesome

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want something with a little personality, try Moscot. I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger on their "Glenn" model.

Those kinda remind me of the guy from Heroes.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 19
I wouldn't buy any frame without putting it on my face first... Too many variables.

I agree with Shark that you tend to forget about the bridge. After a few days, it just isn't there.

Weight is important, so the lens material is important. The lighter the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back