Extremely dissapointed with the hd595
Apr 18, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
You can see what I use, all amped with an SM3. I reckon my HD580s ae the least involving, more accurate is to say they're more laid-back.

I agree that the HD595 are a bit less laid-back than the line HD580-600-650, but less so than people often say. I think the HD595 is a laid-back headphone too, not forward at all. DT880 are more forward.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajan
Thanks, have a nice day too. I agree with you, they are versatile: they sound equally boring in all genres of music. Just my ears, perhaps. But i only have one pair.

Wow. I think I get it. You really don't like these cans, do you?
I won't try to talk you into liking them, but have you tried them with movies or gaming? I feel they excel in those areas but it sounds like you wouldn't like them for that either.
Are you sure you have the Sennheiser HD595s? jk

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 47
My HD595 opened up after a few days of normal use. These are my first serious full size headphones and I have nothing better to compare them except the portable headphones on my signature. But, I'm very pleased with them. They became very comfortable after around 3 days. At first the head pressure was a little annoying but with time it dissapeared. I like the cleanness of the sound. I use them connected to my studio monitors which I use with my desktop's onboard sound card.

Mine are the 50 ohm version which means they are easier to drive without headphone amps. Even when connected directly to my iriver ifp-790 mp3 player they sound prettey good.

The next step of upgrading will be to buy a new sound card. After some research I decided on e-mu 0404. After the sound card I think I will buy an headphone amplifier. I don't think the 595's will benefit a lot from an amp but I'm just preparing for the next step to the HD650's. I think I will spend some time with 595's and will then will try the HD650. Probably I will keep my HD595 for a while to compare their sound with the 650's properly.

I can't complain with my 595's which I bought for £99 on an online shop. They are also available on ebay for £90 (£80+ £10 shipping).

HD650's are available for £184 including shipping.

I'm one of these peope who can't sell their headphones. I always find some excuses to keep all headphones I purchased so far. I'm sure it won't be hard to find a good excuse for 595 either.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I won't try to talk you into liking them, but have you tried them with movies or gaming? I feel they excel in those areas but it sounds like you wouldn't like them for that either.

Yes, they are undoubtedly quality headphones you obviously just don't like. Or are defective.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog

Yes, i have tried it with my computer and with movies. In fact, i bought them to complement my DT880s: lower impedance, easier cans and so on. But the dissapointment has been total: i have already sold them.

I wanted these cans to please me, i have tried but it has been impossible. There's nothing personal against HD595's lovers, simply we have different sound preferences, i guess.

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 47
You might have burned them in, but how long did you actually wear them? The ear pads have to be broken in as well, and that has to be done through wearing the headphones.

I also noticed that you've already sold the other Sennheiser headphones. If you are comparing the HD595 to the other Senns by memory, your comparison might not be accurate. It's likely that you are more used to the DT880 now than when you had those other Senns (in other words, your ears are now further damaged by the DT880
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Anyway, people have different tastes for sure. There are others that like HD595 more than DT880 and HD600, and there are even people that like the Triport better than some high end cans.

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok
and there are even people that like the Triport better than some high end cans.

I think there are very few such people, but I believe I know what you mean.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajan
Cloudy? I supose it must be the famous(and probably infamous) veil. And the HD280 is way more powerful and aggressive than the HD595, and faster, too. To my ears HD595 sounds bland.

I just sold off some 555's because I had the same reaction as you. The 555's played my music well, and was pretty detailed. However, at the end of the night, I couldn't wait to get them off my head to go to sleep. I heard the music and it sounded good but it didn't have any passion. I then picked up a much cheaper set of Audio Technica phones, and now I hate to take them off at the end of the night. Except for the bass, I too enjoyed my 280s more. Just goes to show that everyone does indeed have their own tastes, so reading reviews and researching headphones without hearing doesn't mean too much. Ultimately it is your ears that are listening to them, and no one else.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towny
many people also think that an unamped HD595 sounds way better than an amped one... I just can say they sounds quite different, worse or better is IMHO just a matter of taste

From my experience the 595s improve quite well accross the board with the Aria amp as compared to unamped. So source & amp would make a difference.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #26 of 47
I agree that the hd580's are better, but I prefer the hd595 50 ohm for their versatility. I was a little disappointed with mine at first, but they have grown on me. I agree these headphones aren't necessarly fun, but I really enjoy how smoothly they present whatever music I throw at them.

If you really don't like them, sell them on the forum. Someone will eagerly buy them from you.
icon10.gif
No reason to keep cans you don't like.

I have yet to try the dt880, I would have bought them over the hd595 but I couldn't stand another coiled cord after having a pair of hd280's (Which I disliked extremely, the same way you dislike the hd595).

It's good to have some reviews that are critical of popular hi-fi equipment.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 47
It may be a thing of adjustment. Give yourself some time with these, but some people just plain out don't like the 595s. 580s may be in order? If you liked the 600s then the 595s are more of a downgrade, even the 580s are better (apparantly) then the 600s in some respects (even moreso if re-cabled).

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #29 of 47
cool, nice to hear a different review in a room full of believers. I personally will never change from my hd-600s. They are the best thing I have heard ever period. Seems like you have a different taste in music of sorts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back