Extremely dissapointed with the hd595
Apr 19, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #31 of 47
Karajan's thread is making me consider backing out of 595s as my first good can purchase. Tell me he's a troll, please? They can't possibly be that bad right?

I was considering 580s but I want to listen to varied music with a bit of a lively presentation albeit without excessive brightness, all out of an inexpensive portable amp. The 595s seemed perfect on paper for all of the above. What to do, what to do...

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle
Karajan's thread is making me consider backing out of 595s as my first good can purchase. Tell me he's a troll, please? They can't possibly be that bad right?

I was considering 580s but I want to listen to varied music with a bit of a lively presentation albeit without excessive brightness, all out of an inexpensive portable amp. The 595s seemed perfect on paper for all of the above. What to do, what to do...

The 595 is one of the most balanced can i've listened to. If you want a closed version of the 595, get the A900. They both sound similar except that the a900 isolates and the 595 has a bit more space.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

It obviously depends on the individual. To me, they sounded great straight from the box. Breaking in the earpads did nothing (I can't imagine why anyone would think it would *shrug*), burning it in did nothing (I don't believe it burn-in anyway...not even with my K701), and using an amp did nothing (tried the RSA Hornet, Xin SuperMacro-III, and HeadRoom Micro DM). Sounded great all around no matter what I did (or did not do) with it.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karajan
Yes, i have tried it with my computer and with movies. In fact, i bought them to complement my DT880s: lower impedance, easier cans and so on. But the dissapointment has been total: i have already sold them.

Just my opinion, but the DT880 is a tough act to follow. As much as they get slammed around here for too much treble, they're a very high end headphone and it's rare when I find others that can stand up to them (to my ears). So far it's been only the AKG K501 and Beyer DT250-80 that didn't totally disappoint me compared to the DT880, although IMO neither of these cans are as good as the 880. But at least they aren't shamed to be in the same room with them.

My HD580s were out the door fast when the DT880 arrived. Maybe it's the contrast in sonic signatures more than anything else, I dunno... the HD580 sounded muffled, claustrophobic and dull once I had the 880s for awhile, and I just couldn't stand them.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

I'm not going to call anyone a troll. (But I did stop taking the bait for a while.)
The HD595s are perfect for what you want. Having said that, there is a possibility that you won't like them. I think they're a headphone that all but the most demanding audiophile would enjoy. They do everything well.
Of course that's MY opinion.

Bellybutton

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I'm not going to call anyone a troll. (But I did stop taking the bait for a while.)
The HD595s are perfect for what you want. Having said that, there is a possibility that you won't like them. I think they're a headphone that all but the most demanding audiophile would enjoy. They do everything well.
Of course that's MY opinion.

Bellybutton

Haha, yeah-- I meant no offense to Karajan with the troll comment, but, man, those are strong statements. A month of research really suggested 595s were perfect for me. I have a bad source and little experience with good cans, so I doubt I'd immediately notice some esoteric "cloudiness." The problem with joining this forum: I'm a noob, have no experience, no cans, and already I'm worried about finding new ones.

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #37 of 47
I'm not out to hijack karajan's thread but it seems that you've done your homework. There's always someone who can't stand a particular headphone. The only way you'll ever know is to try it. IME the HD595s can take you pretty far. At least they can get you started and then you can decide how far you want to go.

how far=how much money you want to spend

Apr 19, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #38 of 47
I can 100% agree with the original poster, these phones are a joke imho. Always wondered why they have such a fanbase here on head-fi, but good to know atleast someone see's them in the same light i do
biggrin.gif
And yes mine were burned in and more than properly amped
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
... the DT880 is a tough act to follow...

, I too feel when comparing to DT880, HD595 is below par. I find the bass to be particularly unruly.

Apr 19, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #40 of 47
I like the 595's better than anything in their price range. I've had the AKG 501's and Grado 125's which are both "good" headphones but it just echos what several have already said...this is why there are so many different headphones...thank God for the FS forum.

~AZ~

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Haha, yeah-- I meant no offense to Karajan with the troll comment, but, man, those are strong statements. A month of research really suggested 595s were perfect for me. I have a bad source and little experience with good cans, so I doubt I'd immediately notice some esoteric "cloudiness." The problem with joining this forum: I'm a noob, have no experience, no cans, and already I'm worried about finding new ones.

You can also try the HD555 first. I've had them, liked them and upgraded to the HD595 afterwards. The difference between them is, IMHO, small... Besides, you won't lose a lot of money when selling the HD555 (upgrade to HD595 or anything else).

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok
The ear pads have to be broken in as well, and that has to be done through wearing the headphones.

=/

Seriously, what are the odds that any perceived change is due to the pads being broken in, as opposed to the brain adjusting to the sound?

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
=/

Seriously, what are the odds that any perceived change is due to the pads being broken in, as opposed to the brain adjusting to the sound?

=/ right back at you.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, the brain has to adjust to the sound as well, but that doesn't mean that the earpads don't need to be broken in.

For some other headphones it may not matter, but the earpads on my HD555 and HD595 softened significantly over time. I know for sure since my HD595 earpads started out much harder than the HD555 earpads, but now they are about the same.

My ears are now closer to the drivers than before, which I also know for sure since my ears are now touching the inside of the HD595 just a little bit. This never happened the first few days I used them. I had the same experience with the HD555 as well.

It's debatable whether the headphones would sound different just because your ears are closer to the drivers, but you can't be sure that it makes no difference. I was just saying that it's too early to sell the headphones before you know it's broken in for sure.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #45 of 47
I love my 595s, then again I also love my 880s and K701s too.
biggrin.gif

Not every can will be well received by everyone here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back