Extremely dissapointed with the hd595
Apr 18, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Karajan

Head-Fier
Hello people, although i am an enthused and interested reader of this much interesting forum, this is my first post in here. Well, let's begin..

Although I am not an uber audiophile at all, i think i have a pretty decent musical hearing and i have listened to and possessed for long periods of time a number of other hi-fi headphones( hd580, hd600, hd280, beyer dt880, grado sr60) and sorry but I have to say senn hd595 are the worst of them all. An extremely boring headphone. The bass maybe is there but muffled and cloudy; the sonic aggression is poorer than expected, even when speaking of Sennheiser cans; the soundstage is weird and not that large: indeed my ears feel it smaller than with the hd580, 600 and of course with the DT880 the highs are worst than hd600 and hd580(again, DT 880 excels) I have tested them with all types of music and a number of sources( from radio and I-pod to headphone amplifiers; from a tv jack to a denon CD player plugged to an integrated amplifier. I am not a believer in burn-in, but I have burned them for a whole week, just in case. And, sorry HD595 lovers, but i can't stand the sound. Boring, cloudy, and lacking of power and agression to say the least. Extremely dissapointing, period. What is all the fuss about these headphones? That's just a humble opinion and just a humble opinion, no ofense intended. And sorry for my somewhat weird English, this language is not my mother tongue, anb moreover i am not used to speak or write in English in my daily life.

Regards

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 47
The HD595's sound opens up with time (100 hours are necessary, but it keeps getting better).

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 47
Well, if he thinks they're worse than HD580s, DT880s, HD600...then lets assume that he has an amp capable of driving those cans to decent levels, OR that unamped, those sound better to him.

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 47
many people also think that an unamped HD595 sounds way better than an amped one... I just can say they sounds quite different, worse or better is IMHO just a matter of taste

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Well, if he thinks they're worse than HD580s, DT880s, HD600...then lets assume that he has an amp capable of driving those cans to decent levels, OR that unamped, those sound better to him.

good point

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Are they brand new? How many burn-in hours?

Yes, brand new. A full week of burning-in, 24 hours a day. But i don't believe in that, DT880 and HD580 and HD600 sounded fine without burning them, personal preferences amongs these three cans apart.HD280, perhaps due to its sealed condition, required a few hours( 8-10 hours) to become full-sounded.

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
What are you amping them with? "Built In" amps will not suffice to get the kind of sound you are looking for.

Little dot II.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 47
I'm not surprised that the HD595 sounds worse than the HD580/600/650 and DT880. I would expect it to. But I really don't understand the part about being boring when compared to these same headphones. But everyone has their opinion. That's fine.
There's a lot of cans on here that I don't care for that a lot of people have a very high opinion of. I can't stand the SR60 or SR80, I think the Koss PortaPros sound better, but that's my opinion. I don't care for the K701 at all, so I looked elsewhere. Everyone is not the same and I guess we're all looking for different things. That's why there's so many different headphones made.
But thanks for sharing your opinion. I love the HD595s for their versatility. You don't. Have a nice day.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 47
Compared to my K701, my HD595 has slightly less bass, less detail in the upper end of the frequency spectrum, and a shallower soundstage. I don't see how it is "cloudy, boring, or lacking in power," though. Different strokes, I guess.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
I'm not surprised that the HD595 sounds worse than the HD580/600/650 and DT880. I would expect it to. But I really don't understand the part about being boring when compared to these same headphones. But everyone has their opinion. That's fine.
There's a lot of cans on here that I don't care for that a lot of people have a very high opinion of. I can't stand the SR60 or SR80, I think the Koss PortaPros sound better, but that's my opinion. I don't care for the K701 at all, so I looked elsewhere. Everyone is not the same and I guess we're all looking for different things. That's why there's so many different headphones made.
But thanks for sharing your opinion. I love the HD595s for their versatility. You don't. Have a nice day.

Thanks, have a nice day too. I agree with you, they are versatile: they sound equally boring in all genres of music. Just my ears, perhaps. But i only have one pair.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
Compared to my K701, my HD595 has slightly less bass, less detail in the upper end of the frequency spectrume, and a shallower soundstage. I don't see how it is "cloudy, boring, or lacking in power," though. Different strokes, I guess.

Cloudy? I supose it must be the famous(and probably infamous) veil. And the HD280 is way more powerful and aggressive than the HD595, and faster, too. To my ears HD595 sounds bland.

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 47
You can see what I use, all amped with an SM3. I reckon my HD580s ae the least involving, more accurate is to say they're more laid-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back