External amp/dac setup compared to a equally priced sound card? ($200 price mark)
Aug 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sound N00b

Head-Fier
So I have an akg k712. I was running it with a sound blaster z card but that has since died and I have a really good excuse to upgrade now. I do about 60% gaming and 40% music listening. How does the sound quality of a setup like a jds atom+modi 3 compare to an equally expensive sound card such as something like a asus essence stx II. Is there any benefits other than the surround sound processing to a sound card? Why don't audiophiles typically go for sound cards even when some of them look like they have nice components in them? What route would you recommend?

Aug 22, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 2
Unless you need the features of a sound card and your willing to budget for an external DAC/amp, go external DAC/amp.
Computer's sometime can have electrical noise generated inside the computer case, which the sound card might pick up (analog part), which gives you noise in the audio.
Using external DAC/amp, the audio stays digital and only get changed to analog, outside the computer case.

I've never really had much noise issues, with using internal sound card,
but with external DAC/amps, you get a very black (quiet) background (no noise).

With external DAC/amps, they are easy to switch to other computers, PC, MACs, Linux, etx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back