eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2,851 of 2,970
Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. It makes me all warm, and fuzzy like... until I drop that needle, and it hits that cat hair... or dust clot... or POP from that scratch right where some sweet high note is.

When I get that temptation, I put on one of the CDs I had created from a favorite album and remember all that other great stuff about vinyl.

So, we have one more member... with several big guns out - Nate, Marc, Brian, Frank (coming, I know)... and a few others. Updates?

Need more impressions, good, bad and ugly - causing anyone to buy different phones or sources?

Finally starting to see a few more WTB for eXStatA in the FS forums as well. just remember, we are part of a fairly exclusive club. :)

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #2,853 of 2,970
I spent the evening listening to two of my favourite CDs and the sound is just amazing.

I can not compare the exstata to any other stax-amp because I have none and never owned one.

First CD to listen with new gear is always: Metallica - S&M
I know that CD since it came out and must have listened to it many hundred times with real concentration.
I did not expect it but again I hear new details, the overall sound is just perfect with my Lambda Pro (Also have a new 303 here for testing).

I think for the time beeing and much further on I am at the end of my way concerning headphones and headphoneamps.

Thanks you very much everybody here.

There's still a problem that troubles me very much - the volume pot has no effect!
(I just managed to listen yesterday because my cd player has variable outputs)

It is clearly in the signalway - I get a reading of 10,4KOhms between the jack and the input minus post, changing to near 0 Ohms when turned fully clockwise.
I have a 10K RK27 2gang, wiring is unbalanced then of cause.

Any ideas?

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #2,854 of 2,970
I've just uploaded a few pictures of my Build. YOu can see more in my Albumn but here are two.

paxeaxe23-albums-exstata-electrostatic-amplifier-picture5151-exstata-amp-1.jpg

paxeaxe23-albums-exstata-electrostatic-amplifier-picture5154-exstata-amp-5.jpg

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #2,855 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent the evening listening to two of my favourite CDs and the sound is just amazing.

I can not compare the exstata to any other stax-amp because I have none and never owned one.

First CD to listen with new gear is always: Metallica - S&M
I know that CD since it came out and must have listened to it many hundred times with real concentration.
I did not expect it but again I hear new details, the overall sound is just perfect with my Lambda Pro (Also have a new 303 here for testing).

I think for the time beeing and much further on I am at the end of my way concerning headphones and headphoneamps.

Thanks you very much everybody here.

There's still a problem that troubles me very much - the volume pot has no effect!
(I just managed to listen yesterday because my cd player has variable outputs)

It is clearly in the signalway - I get a reading of 10,4KOhms between the jack and the input minus post, changing to near 0 Ohms when turned fully clockwise.
I have a 10K RK27 2gang, wiring is unbalanced then of cause.

Any ideas?

We can be pretty sure that the pot is wired wrong. Post some pics and the other guys on this thread will be able to help you.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #2,856 of 2,970
Well, I am the last person on earth to comment about wiring pots... but, IMHO, the overall quality of builds on this design rank top of any DIY design. Good work guys - you should all be proud, and I am embarrassed enough to recase mine.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #2,857 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or a 'Colossus' TT w/highly modded RB-300, Zu DL103 and Pass DIY Pearl.
biggrin.gif

I was trying to keep Al on a budget.
wink.gif

My custom TT will be based on a broadcasting TT with the Pabst hysteresis motor, mounted separately, belt driving the milled and balanced platter in a custom plinth sitting in thrust bearings so it can't drift or float. The RB-250 is actually a better tone arm once modded, and prices out around the same or less than a new RB-301. The Zu DL103 is supposed to awesome and it will be my next high end cartridge once everything else is finished, but initially, I'll just keep my Grado Gold. As much as I dislike the cans, I love the sound sig of the Grado cartridges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. It makes me all warm, and fuzzy like... until I drop that needle, and it hits that cat hair... or dust clot... or POP from that scratch right where some sweet high note is.

When I get that temptation, I put on one of the CDs I had created from a favorite album and remember all that other great stuff about vinyl.

So, we have one more member... with several big guns out - Nate, Marc, Brian, Frank (coming, I know)... and a few others. Updates?

Need more impressions, good, bad and ugly - causing anyone to buy different phones or sources?

Finally starting to see a few more WTB for eXStatA in the FS forums as well. just remember, we are part of a fairly exclusive club. :)

Al, I play almost all used vinyl. I've had a few dogs, but usually they are just dirty as hell. A good cleaning, then Gruv Glide before spinning them and all is great. No pops unless it's a damaged record or one of my parents old Beatles or Beach Boys albums that are just worn out. Yeah, it's a lot of work if you buy 10-30 used albums at a pop, but for one, two, or three used records, it's an enjoyable part of the process to me. Kind of like panning for gold or cracking open geodes, but with much better odds of finding gems.

I have 3 eXStatas in the works. Two commissioned, one is mine. Work has ramped up to insane levels which is just awesome for my company and the economy, but doesn't leave me with much free time. I've been logging my usually 8-10 hours for work during "regular" hours for the boring hydraulics stuff, then doing more enjoyable, full custom stuff for my company at night during the week too. Should have things squared away soon and one NABU is on it's way back from Steve with an awesome front panel for one of the commissioned builds.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #2,858 of 2,970
Quote:

I get a reading of 10,4KOhms between the jack and the input minus post, changing to near 0 Ohms when turned fully clockwise.

That would suggest that the end of the potentiometer or the cursor is connected to the ground. Can you post a picture of the potentiometer (including wires) ?

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #2,859 of 2,970
Posting a picture is possible - but you'd see nothing since that place is very stuffed.

Indeed if I have the pot fully clockwise and measure directly between In ground and In minus theres 0 Ohms.

I'll just recheck my wiring, I just can not imagine where that connection to ground cames from.

I wired the pot after that picture:
How to Wire Panel Components

The ground pins of the pot are not connected at all.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #2,860 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ground pins of the pot are not connected at all.

You MUST connect the ground on the pot to the signal ground.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #2,861 of 2,970
I couldn't spend enough time with mine yet (current version of the hybrid) since it still needs casework and stuff but this amp sounds Very promising so far.
I only had a fully restored vintage SRA-3S to compare it with which I think is as good as the SRM-T1 (if not better) and this outperforms it by quite a margin, especially in the low end.

Once my system is fully ready (now this could take a while...) I will be able to do a full shoot-out against the SRM-717 so hopefully some objective comparisons can be made but for now I would that it definitely sounds very nice.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #2,862 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You MUST connect the ground on the pot to the signal ground.

Yeah, this is a voltage divider and it won't work without ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only had a fully restored vintage SRA-3S to compare it with which I think is as good as the SRM-T1 (if not better) and this outperforms it by quite a margin, especially in the low end.

I rebuilt a SRA-3S and it had far less control then a T1 (recapped as well) which causes the bass to be over blown but far from accurate. I do quite like the SRA-3S with the older cans but it isn't ideal for anything past the SR-5 IMO.

Ohh and since this is the Exstata thread, my P2P version is 95% done, just missing the input transistors since I don't want to risk any of my dual's. Some small changes to the components used but nothing major and I didn't use the KSC5042 since they are on their last legs (as in Fairchild will stop production soon) and the Sanyo parts are a better. Not sure what PSU I'll use but I've been thinking about doing a version of the T2DIY PSU since it is already all P2P. +/-350V is given since I have some spare 280V/140ma transformers.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #2,863 of 2,970
Quote:

Well, I am the last person on earth to comment about wiring pots... but, IMHO, the overall quality of builds on this design rank top of any DIY design. Good work guys - you should all be proud, and I am embarrassed enough to recase mine.

Pabbi:
I am getting brave enough and thinking about re casing mine (your SS Proto build). Any ideas on a suitable metal case? Dimensions would be appreciated!

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2,864 of 2,970
Paxeaxe23 has a really nice case above, but looks like the Italian case (Galaxy)? Since I do all 'custom' cases, other than the infamous NABU, I'd be at a loss to recommend something. I am sure others have input as to what some of the Hammond or one of the ParMetals 20 series (Par-Metal), though their rep has taken a hit over the years for spotty delivery, quality and customer service.

It looks like Chassis Boxes, Enclosures, Project Boxes. Aluminum Boxes and Plastic Boxes would be really close to you.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #2,865 of 2,970
Yes its the Galaxy case, I live in Germany so it was easy to order from Italy. I got it here modu

Quote:

Paxeaxe23 has a really nice case above, but looks like the Italian case (Galaxy)? Since I do all 'custom' cases, other than the infamous NABU, I'd be at a loss to recommend something. I am sure others have input as to what some of the Hammond or one of the ParMetals 20 series (Par-Metal), though their rep has taken a hit over the years for spotty delivery, quality and customer service.

It looks like Chassis Boxes, Enclosures, Project Boxes. Aluminum Boxes and Plastic Boxes would be really close to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back