eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Mar 26, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #2,806 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know of another source for the P-Channel PS mosfets 512-FQP3P50? Mouser is out of them until sometime in June. Digikey no go, too. Thanks for any info.
smile.gif
Tommy

I have used MTP2P50EG as a replacement - Mouser part 863-MTP2P50EG . It works perfectly, and has the same pin assignment.
Or you can try here P-Channel Power MOSFET 3P50 500V 2.7A 85W 9.5pF (x4) - eBay (item 220437061984 end time Apr-13-10 17:43:13 PDT)

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #2,807 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used MTP2P50EG as a replacement - Mouser part 863-MTP2P50EG . It works perfectly, and has the same pin assignment.
Or you can try here P-Channel Power MOSFET 3P50 500V 2.7A 85W 9.5pF (x4) - eBay (item 220437061984 end time Apr-13-10 17:43:13 PDT)

Thanks, Scooba. Those should work, like you said, as they have similar specs. Don't need 1 for my eXSTata, which is running fine, but I need one for that "other amp". It uses the same one in the - rail.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2,808 of 2,970
You're welcome, audionut
beerchug.gif

As for the eXStatA, I've managed to make a quick listening session last evening at home, and I was not very impressed. But I think that my 404LE's need some burn-in (they have under 40 hours) . I don't know how much they will change in sound, but I hope they will
icon10.gif
. For now, the sound is very fast and dynamic, but it lacks staging and depth .

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #2,809 of 2,970
At bit off topic, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotten a few questions about the volume board that Beefy used in his build. I'm considering making a few more boards, but would like a few beta builders who are comfortable with SMD and willing to actually build the board in a reasonable time frame and offer feedback. I won't be able to build this version any time soon and there are are a few changes this go around that need to be tested. I'd be willing to provide a preprogrammed microcontroller, two PGA chips, and the board itself. If anyone would like to help, please PM me. Thanks!

I got my board and chips yesterday. Thanks Marc!

So now I just need a bom and a schematic, and I'll get started. Are those coming from you Marc, or is this BoilermakerFan?

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #2,810 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're welcome, audionut
beerchug.gif

As for the eXStatA, I've managed to make a quick listening session last evening at home, and I was not very impressed. But I think that my 404LE's need some burn-in (they have under 40 hours) . I don't know how much they will change in sound, but I hope they will
icon10.gif
. For now, the sound is very fast and dynamic, but it lacks staging and depth .

Scooba, is this your first set of stats? Just curious, as my 404LE's have about the same amount of hours, and sound fantastic. Not sure how much stats need to burn in, compared to dynamics, but I do feel the amp needs a bit of time to settle in. Is yours the hybrid or SS?

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2,811 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At bit off topic, but...

I got my board and chips yesterday. Thanks Marc!

So now I just need a bom and a schematic, and I'll get started. Are those coming from you Marc, or is this BoilermakerFan?

Hopefully my board and chips show up today.

I have a partial BOM. I need to sort it out and make sure it's complete.

EDIT: My board and chip showed up. :)

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2,812 of 2,970
Quote:

Scooba, is this your first set of stats? Just curious, as my 404LE's have about the same amount of hours, and sound fantastic. Not sure how much stats need to burn in, compared to dynamics, but I do feel the amp needs a bit of time to settle in. Is yours the hybrid or SS?

I had for a while a SR404 + SRM-006T II combo, sold it some time ago and bought the SR404 Limited . I also have a SR303 + SRM313 combo, borrowed from a friend, for testing purposes .
I'll try to explain what seems odd to me: if I compare the sound of individual instruments, the eXStatA + SR-404LE is by far the most detailed, dynamic and fast combo I've ever heard. But the spatial positioning of the instruments and singers is very weird (the guitars from "Krushevo" record form MA seem clearly positioned behind me) , and not very clearly delimitated .
I'll make more tests, and I've already identified a potential issue: I've forgot to connect the ground from the power-line in to the star ground point .

To be continued
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #2,813 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully my board and chips show up today.

I have a partial BOM. I need to sort it out and make sure it's complete.

I updated an old project list, but since then there are some revisions with this new board I believe, i will wait for luvdunhill to reply. One item is also back ordered and haven't found a suitable replacement for sure yet.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=2782BA7937

EDIT: I also received my own board and chips! Thanks for the lightspeed shipping!
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #2,814 of 2,970
Quote:

Is yours the hybrid or SS?

I missed this question, sorry . My amp is the SS version.

I can say that the ground solved the staging/delimitation problem
smily_headphones1.gif
Beside that, it seems that I have used a higher value for the BIAS. I lowered it, and lost the bright top end. I definitely need a meter with higher impedance
frown.gif

At this point the sound is excellent: fast, detailed, dynamic, yet rich and smooth. The timbres and textures of the instruments are very well presented. This is the first combo I heard that has this kind of performance.
popcorn.gif

Thanks to Alex for the design and support, and to Scott for the boards
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2,815 of 2,970
Ok, I get 29 working builds.

Larry, did Bill get you sorted?

Beefy, any further enlightenment or mystery?

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #2,816 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Power supply still buzzes for a few seconds on startup, but works perfectly after that. One driver my Lambdas still does funny things occasionally, but I have a set of NOS drivers incoming to fix this.

On the balance of things, it could have been easier...... a perfect storm of silly little intermittent issues is never fun. But I'm still very happy with the results
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #2,817 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I get 29 working builds.

Larry, did Bill get you sorted?

Not yet. Bill has been very busy lately.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #2,819 of 2,970
Yeah, one of my power supplies lacks CRDs.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #2,820 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any builds here without a maxxed power supply?, i.e one with resistors instead of the CRDs in it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, one of my power supplies lacks CRDs.

Do you think maybe he wanted to also know more about how you liked it vs maxed, even if he didn't come right out and ask?
tongue.gif

At least I am curious.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back