eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Mar 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #2,761 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we get back to the builds and more impressions on the exstata now?

Let's try this, I don't really want to start deleting posts.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #2,762 of 2,970
Which proto was in Boston? And, when will Hop's Nugget Audio eXStatA get some love from the public at large?

Off topic, but yes, my Vulcan now has one of Kerry's BH 350v psu, so the cross pollinization continues. Evolution always finds the best answer.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #2,763 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which proto was in Boston? And, when will Hop's Nugget Audio eXStatA get some love from the public at large?

It was your prototype (jp#s). And Hop's amp is back on the bench so at least he'll get to hear it "soon". I think we're on front panel #6 design wise but I think we're done tweaking now and can move to production.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #2,764 of 2,970
Here's my eXStatA:
wilcox-albums-exstata-picture5055-exstata-1.jpg

wilcox-albums-exstata-picture5056-exstata-2.jpg

wilcox-albums-exstata-picture5057-exstata-3.jpg

Pretty much a standard build. I've got a GoldPoint attenuator and Luvdunhill
Stax jacks on the way for the next build!

Thanks to Alex for this wonderful design and thanks to Nate for the Alps.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2,765 of 2,970
Wilcox, Very nice looking build
atsmile.gif
Could you possibly give me the info or link for the case you used? Thanks, Tommy.

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2,766 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to see the comparison with a 350v psu - to wit, if anyone wants to let me buy a set of boards for the express purpose of bumping the psu to 350v, and modding the amp accordingly (if needed), ping me. There is one such effort afoot, albeit at a leisurely pace... :)

I was fairly sure Bill has a 350 or 400v PSU at home. I don't know more than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my eXStatA:
wilcox-albums-exstata-picture5055-exstata-1.jpg

Pretty much a standard build. I've got a GoldPoint attenuator and Luvdunhill
Stax jacks on the way for the next build!

Thanks to Alex for this wonderful design and thanks to Nate for the Alps.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nice build. How is the Alps working for you, and can you tell me what model and price it is?

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2,767 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilcox, Very nice looking build
atsmile.gif
Could you possibly give me the info or link for the case you used? Thanks, Tommy.

Thanks! It's a Hammond RMCV190313BK1 available from Mouser RMCV190313BK1 Hammond Racks & Cabinets
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice build. How is the Alps working for you, and can you tell me what model and price it is?

It's a 10K 4-gang RK27 that I purchased from Nate, since he had a spare. I believe he ordered them from a German seller on eBay and they go for ~$50.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #2,768 of 2,970
I have a working 350V supply also that I have for my KGSS. It would be easy to hook up to my exstata hybrid, but not sure if that's a good idea and whether it could possibly damage my amp. Maybe Alex or someone else could shed some light on whether this is ok to try and whether it might benefit from 350V rails vs the 300V originals.:bigsmile_face

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2,769 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well Larry, the Alps is working out very well! I purchased a GoldPoint 50K attenuator for the eXStatA, but I put the Alps in to just to get the amp up and running. I am happy enough with the excellent tracking of the pot and the great performance of the amp that I'm not even thinking about replacing the Alps with the GoldPoint at this point, but will save it for the next build.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2,770 of 2,970
I have a few more spots for people willing to try the balanced attenuator mentioned in this thread. It's mostly SMD, so fair warning there. For those willing to get cracking on it immediately, I'm discounting the parts by 50% and throwing in the board.

Also, for those waiting on jacks they'll go out on Monday. Sorry again for the delay.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #2,771 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few more spots for people willing to try the balanced attenuator mentioned in this thread. It's mostly SMD, so fair warning there. For those willing to get cracking on it immediately, I'm discounting the parts by 50% and throwing in the board.

Also, for those waiting on jacks they'll go out on Monday. Sorry again for the delay.

i'll go for one.
sent email

thanks

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #2,772 of 2,970
Has anybody measured the actual current draw of their amps?

I took my PSU out to switch in an extra pair of 91V zeners to drop the output voltage with no troubles*, and things are now sitting nicely at 295-300V. But in stress testing and checking, I noted again that my CCS current drops as low as 38mA on the negative rail and 32mA on the positive rail...... but the shunt transistor heatsinks are still stinking hot.

I would measure it myself, but don't have any way of securing the multimeter in series that will handle the voltage......

[size=xx-small]* But bloody hell, physical access was tough![/size]

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #2,773 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would measure it myself, but don't have any way of securing the multimeter in series that will handle the voltage......

perhaps measure the current draw on the primary side, then do a bit of math?

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2,774 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps measure the current draw on the primary side, then do a bit of math?

That wouldn't really help...... the current draw will be what I set it to at the CCS, and I'll still be none the wiser as to how much current goes through the amp versus the current that is shunted for regulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back