eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Feb 8, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #2,251 of 2,970
I'm also interested in trying my hand at this. I'm in love with my stats, and this would be a good complement to my setup. Where do we get in line for the boards?

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #2,252 of 2,970
WRT SR-40, that is what I use to test my builds, and had them at the DFW meet. Through the proto, I think I've taken it to about half attenuation without any issues, but haven't noticed anything nasty.

Cranked up Audioslave, AC/DC 'Powerage', and Velvet Revolver last night on the he60 - no clip. So, just Tool and Monster Magnet are my problem children, but not on every cut.

Now, to build the new mini-rack for the new source.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #2,253 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, to build the new mini-rack for the new source.

sweet, and sweet! what are your plans for the rack? is the dovetail jig involved?

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #2,254 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have SR-30 and SR-80 'trets but i haven't listened to them with the eXStata prototypes. I can give it a try.

It would be really sweet as I only have a SR-30 which is waiting for its exstata.

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #2,255 of 2,970
No, the dovetails are for the new Vulcan case... gotta resize that koa... :)

Actually, it really is a shame, as the surface now is granite, and I'm of two minds - either find scrap granite (the sink or stove cutouts from countertops are GREAT for this, and many are to be found on CL), or go old school. Taking inspiration from Nate, so, getting some 8/4 mahogany or walnut for the base, and using 7/8 allthread 12" rods, attach a matching 1" shelf, neting 8.5" clearance.

Total size is 21" x 16", the same base as now. The nuts and bolts were ~$25, and the wood will be about $50ish. Now there is a guy locally that has some 11/4 21" x 60" Mesquite that would be a killer - tools, back, you name it. There are some really nice flame maple boards on the bay, but maybe WoodWorld will have something more fun, like cocobolo, bocote or even some more birdseye maple. Depending on material, this will add about 30-40lbs of mass to the structure.

The only DIY sickness more intoxocating than electronics is the woodshop, not to mention shopping for exotic lumber.

Which reminds me, Dr Wood was gonna instruct me in the ways of a failproof box joint (nudging me toward dovetail nirvana)... perhaps he realized the futility.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #2,256 of 2,970
Quote:

Which reminds me, Dr Wood was gonna instruct me in the ways of a failproof box joint (nudging me toward dovetail nirvana)... perhaps he realized the futility.

nah, I reminded him of a project that he's been working on for me for... 2 years almost to the day
smily_headphones1.gif
That should keep him busy for a little while. After cutting him a sizable check for a large lot of solid Maple lumber, we'll see how it turns out
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2,257 of 2,970
Man, this talk of granite, maple, and walnut has to stop! I can't think of a better combo than maple, walnut, and green granite.

I need to finish other projects including the eXstatas before I even think about building a DIY rack and turntable. But no, I also had to see the turntable.it site on 6moons with their relatively simple to mill tone arm design. Then wualta had to mention modding platters from old idler wheel mastering TTs in the ortho forum a few weeks ago... All the missing pieces are in place, except the final design. The TT was the last remaining piece to design for my DIY or highly modded system.

Hey Pabbi, how about Mopani for the shelves? That has got to be the heaviest 2x6x6 block of wood I've picked up! Might be too heavy even for ortho cups. I'll definitely have to use it for the inner plinth on my TT.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #2,258 of 2,970
Just got back from the wood store with 70 lbs of jatoba... for.the.win. Almost as heavy as rosewood, but nowhere near as oily. Pictures this evening.

If the sound doesn't motivate people, maybe the pretty wood cases will...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #2,259 of 2,970
Quote:

Just got back from the wood store with 70 lbs of jatoba... for.the.win. Almost as heavy as rosewood, but nowhere near as oily. Pictures this evening.

If the sound doesn't motivate people, maybe the pretty wood cases will...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jatoba is 56 pounds per cubic foot, S.A. Rosewood is 44 pounds per cubic foot. Mopani is 77 pounds per cubic foot...
very_evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: The Madrone and rosewood are for dry wood at 12% M.C. I didn't see if the Jatoba was green or 12%.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #2,260 of 2,970
Quote:

What I detest is using an ALPS rk27, regardless of the number of decks. This amp deserves better.

OT & no need to dive in, but I guess you'd detest most all of my builds
smily_headphones1.gif

In particular, the balanced/4-ch b22 I've stumbled into completing... Can't yet bring myself to spend $250 USD or so on balanced volume control (yet)
smily_headphones1.gif

But attenuation is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #2,261 of 2,970
I'll try to phrase in a more positive manner - the first upgrade opportunity in any build is when you have used a rk27. Just a preference that I have developed after using a dozen rk27 flavors over the years.

Anyone with more impressions? Nick, get your he60 bits?

If I calc right, my mini rack will be .7 ft³, so with thread and bolts, it will be a svelt 45lbs... OY!

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #2,262 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by bidoux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be really sweet as I only have a SR-30 whiwh is waiting for its exstata.

I have used the SR-60 with the amp, it is fine.
i did notice lower sound pressure with the SR-60 compared to the SR-X

you should be fine

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #2,263 of 2,970
Quote:

I'll try to phrase in a more positive manner - the first upgrade opportunity in any build is when you have used a rk27. Just a preference that I have developed after using a dozen rk27 flavors over the years.

It is unfortunate that the Rk27 is one of the only sub $100 pots available in 4 channel configuration that is "easy" to get a hold of as a normal consumer.

I really love the feel of an analog pot with some heavy weight on it. A joshua tree or optivol are other options, but still end up costing more in money and time.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #2,264 of 2,970
Yes, sad that Khozmo could not get their act together. The market for really good attenuators really is hungry for a nice solution.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2,265 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is unfortunate that the Rk27 is one of the only sub $100 pots available in 4 channel configuration that is "easy" to get a hold of as a normal consumer.

The Attenuator talk thread might be a good place to bring this.. But yes, after some recent googling (& nearly trying RelVol3 before hearing about possible click/mute issues), I've sortof come around to using 4-ch RK27 w/possible/pricey upgrade to HeadAmp offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back