eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Feb 1, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #2,209 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may want to give this one a shot. When is the next PCB group buy?

This is not determined yet - I think there will be another group buy but not in the coming two or three months if I got runeight right.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,210 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking that the majority of builders electrocuted themselves.

No risk, I havn't even ordered the parts yet.
smile.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2,213 of 2,970
I just matched the J-FETs for my sand build. Out of a batch of 60 I found 21 with an Idss > 10 mA and out of these I could gather three quads. So statistically the recommended 20 J-FETs for one quad should turn out, but I wouldn't be sure if always.

My three quads have Idss values of 10.0/10.0/10.2/10.5 12.4/12.5/12.6/13.0 13.9/14.1/14.3/14.3 mA.

So which quad is to prefer? The higher Idss the better? Or better be close from above to the specified 10 mA minimum? Or the middle one as compromise?

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #2,215 of 2,970
The highest looks the best. Also, 0.1-0.2mA is probably within the realm of error, even if you have the most accurate meter in the world. For example, if you pick the JFETs up with your fingers and place them in a test jig, you may notice slightly different readings then if you used a pair of pliers.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #2,216 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking that the majority of builders electrocuted themselves.

The PS caps carry quite a punch....

I can't get enough of this setup. It's going to be at the Boston/MA meet in early March for more diverse impressions, potentially next to n_maher's.

I do however think the driver is loose in my Lambdas. I'm gonna have to look into that.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2,217 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, 0.1-0.2mA is probably within the realm of error, even if you have the most accurate meter in the world. For example, if you pick the JFETs up with your fingers and place them in a test jig, you may notice slightly different readings then if you used a pair of pliers.

I don't expect the absolute error of my measurement to be within 0.1-0.2 mA, but worse. Relative to each other what is important here I believe to be within about 0.1 mA. Quick measurement was only done as first step to sort out the low Idss j-fets. As second step for the matching I waited for the multimeter reading to be stable up to the third digit what happened after approx. one minute. So my fingers' temperature shouldn't have been of any influence any more.

So I will go with my high-Idss j-fets.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #2,218 of 2,970
The longer you leave them in the test circuit, the more they will settle/drop. Mine usually drop .1mA within the first 30 seconds, and then possibly another .1 in the next minute or two. I have not seen one yet that dropped any more after 5 minutes.
Given my meter(low end Fluke) and the circuit used(voltage drop across 10R, using 12V PS), max resolution is .1mA.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #2,220 of 2,970
I'm currently building the a hybrid version of the eXStata but still haven't decided on a volume control. The Lightspeed Passive Attenuator here DIY Lightspeed Passive Attenuator (audio optocouplers) sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it will suit the eXStata - the criteria for using it are:
Low output impedance sources and high impedance amplifiers:
1: Low source impedence (cd player) <50ohms
2: High input impedence (amplifier) > 50k.

Will this suit the eXStata?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back