eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Jan 22, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #2,131 of 2,970
I thought you where speaking of options in the same price range :wink:

Even the quad alps pot is already quite expensive for me (will be the most expensive single part in my amp
dt880smile.png
)

Something different now:
I just got a call from the company how did the transformer for me and it turned
out that there was a misunderstanding and the transformer I ordered only has
one secondary 250V output - not as needed two. But it has the 6,3V winding and 40VA ...

So - what should I do now ...
I could simply add a second transformer mit only one 250V output.
What VA-rating should that second one have?

The other option would be to simply order a new one with all
correct values and sell the "wrong" one.

What would be better - technically?

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2,132 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the quad alps pot is already quite expensive for me (will be the most expensive single part in my amp
dt880smile.png
)

I posted this before...
DUAL MONO VOLUME
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ320456036248
It took me 2 nights to build. Recommended if you like to solder (just under 200 points). Not sure how it sounds yet but I expect better than a pot.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #2,133 of 2,970
Quote:

Something different now:
one secondary 250V output - not as needed two. But it has the 6,3V winding and 40VA ...

You can buy a dupe of the one you bought and wire like this (ignore the not used windings on the secondaries). Wire 2 6S4A heaters off of each transformer. Work with the winder for total assurance.
eXStatA with Triads
or ask the winder to build one like the Hammond 270AX (I would ask for a 4A capable 6.3 winding for cooler operation).
I think the decision is just a matter of cost and space.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #2,134 of 2,970
Quote:

dt880smile.png
)

Something different now:

A simple shunted pot should be fine. A 50K pot with two 47K resistors for each leg. Simple, and cheap.

They won't hold off shipment and send the correct transformer? Or did you not order it as (2) 250V or 500VCT? If you ordered it as (2) 250V secondaries, they should replace it with the correct transformer.

You should be able to sell the incorrect one as it is a nice transformer for a HV Aikido preamp build. The 250V will rectify to 354V just like the eXStata, and regulate down to 350V-351V and each tube in an Aikido would see 175V which is a pretty nice spot for 6922 series tubes and others. Heck, you could order an Aikido preamp kit and use it in your system if you have a speaker system. The gain would be too high for an eXStata, even on SE inputs. That's actually what I'm doing with a 500VCT custom, except I have to use FW rectification since mine is a CT transformer.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #2,135 of 2,970
Taking a current version and proto to the DFW meet today for impressions and comparisons, against the following:

BHSE
BH
KGSS (max version)
SRM T1 (the original comparitive target)
Stax 313
Vulcan - BH derivative (BIG maybe)

So, anyone esle have impressions, or updates? Jeez, I feel so isolated.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #2,136 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm trying, honest!
smily_headphones1.gif

I drilled my base plate last weekend, and everything is mounted on it and wired up. Still waiting for some dimensions and info before I place my FPE order. I can't do any serious listening until I get those panels, because I just don't have anywhere to sit and listen to an open chassis
frown.gif

I also want to do some work on my Lambdas...... cable, pads, foam etc. before they are ready for prime time listening.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #2,137 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taking a current version and proto to the DFW meet today for impressions and comparisons, against the following:

BHSE
BH
KGSS (max version)
SRM T1 (the original comparitive target)
Stax 313
Vulcan - BH derivative (BIG maybe)

I continue to listen to mine every day and I'm loving it. I'm quite happy with the combo of the SR-404LE and the eXStatA. Listening to the bass continues to blow me away. I feel lucky to own one of these.
smile.gif

Thus far I've been using the GE grey plate quad I got from you, but I also have a set of RCA's with black plates. I think I'm going to swap them out and see if I can tell a difference, now that I'm pretty familiar with the sound. I'm a little skeptical that I'm going to notice a difference, based on the circuit, but why not try since I have them.

It'll be interesting to see what folks think at the meet...

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #2,138 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thus far I've been using the GE grey plate quad I got from you, but I also have a set of RCA's with black plates. I think I'm going to swap them out and see if I can tell a difference, now that I'm pretty familiar with the sound. I'm a little skeptical that I'm going to notice a difference, based on the circuit, but why not try since I have them.

Yes, Please do and report back!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2,139 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by macm75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Please do and report back!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought I remembered early on that there is really no opportunity for tube rolling here because of the circuit design?

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #2,140 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I remembered early on that there is really no opportunity for tube rolling here because of the circuit design?

Yeah, like that is going to stop the diehards......
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #2,142 of 2,970
Hi all,

I'm very interested in this project but am a relative newbie to the world of DIY -- would this build be prohibitively difficult for a beginner? I'd have some help from an EE friend, but would want to rely on that sparingly. Any advice welcome and thanks,

o

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #2,144 of 2,970
Hey all,

I just got my boards up and running, but I'm running into a problem:

One of my boards has huge DC offsets, with Out- at +47V and Out+ at -23V. The inputs were tied together to ground. No smoke, double-checked connections, and the rails are at +/- 300V.

The other board is just fine, with offsets in the 100mV range.

Anything I can check?

Thanks,
cyanoacry

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2,145 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very interested in this project but am a relative newbie to the world of DIY -- would this build be prohibitively difficult for a beginner? I'd have some help from an EE friend, but would want to rely on that sparingly. Any advice welcome and thanks,

I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. It isn't difficult per se, but there are a LOT of potential gotchas from the shunt power supply, high voltages, matching JFETs, etc. An EE friend isn't going to help with these key construction issues, unless they build it for you.

Start with something simpler, and work your way up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back