eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Jan 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #2,116 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by paxeaxe23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I haven't found much information on the PSU but I live in Germany where we have 240v supply.

@paxeaxe23

You have different options for a transformer. I live across the border from you and we have 230VAC. I'm successfully using the 369JX from Hammond. Alternatively you can look up the R-Cores on ebay. Although with import duty and postage they cost almost the same as the 369JX. Or you could have it custom built.

If you haven't done your mouser order yet, they have one 369JX in stock. Also, if you need a matched quad of J271, pm me.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2,117 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've double-checked my Mouser projects, and they are good to go for the power supply and solid state amps. Can't help with the tube amp, unfortunately
wink.gif

Some items are currently OOS...... insulating pads for double-mount devices can be solved with extra whole kits, and the big 1kV cap for the high-bias should be in stock in a couple of days. The only real problem item is the load resistors, which are currently out of stock until May
frown.gif

So for anybody who wants them and missed the previous post, here they are:
Exstata PS (maxed/CRD version)
Exstata SS

[EDIT] Oh, just one more thing I should point out. There are extra 91 and 100V zeners to allow for 282/291/300V zener strings in the PS. This was because I wasn't 100% sure about how my custom transformer would work out, and wanted to be able to tweak up or down as necessary. Thankfully, the transformer and default 291V was perfect for me, but they are really handy spares to have.

Your the man Beefy, thanks!

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #2,118 of 2,970
My Boards arrived today.
smily_headphones1.gif
Great Work! Thanks Alex!

Most of the parts are already here, but I won't have much time in the next weeks. I think I can start building in February, until then I should be able to get the remaining stuff.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #2,119 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by paxeaxe23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the meantime I have a question about the power supply. So far I haven't found much information on the PSU but I live in Germany where we have 240v supply.

I live in France and we have around 220V but I thought the transformer for the solid state version was dual primairy (correct me if I'm wrong).
You could do the exact same build and add a 220 --> 130 transformer but it is a lot of transformers...

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #2,120 of 2,970
My boards also arrived today - they look really great.
Also 2 sets of tubes arrived today.

All the other parts are still missing but I can not start building before february anyway.

I am also a bit confused about the transformer ...
Shematic on the website says 240V input on the PS, but the boards are labeled 250V.

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #2,122 of 2,970
I have used basically that one (except motorized), but *think* it was 50k. It is certainly acceptable, though there are better options, at a price.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #2,124 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also a bit confused about the transformer ...
Shematic on the website says 240V input on the PS, but the boards are labeled 250V.

You must be referring to the wiring diagram, which does show a 240-0-240 transformer. I think this is because in the prototype phase of the project, it was originally 240, but it should be 250.

The actual power supply schematic is correct, which shows 250-0-250.

If you are building a hybrid, and you use a 300 series Hammond transformer, they have wires to allow inputs of 220vac or 240vac. I used the 369JX, and a 300v zener string in my power supply. It works perfectly.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #2,126 of 2,970
Actually the 480VCT transformer is ideal with the 291V standard Zener. You will need the 300V Zener string with a 500VCT transformer.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2,127 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pabbi1, what other options would you propose?

In dual pots, TKD 2p2511 or Noble, or steppers, the usual Asian origin, or pricey as in Goldpoint (who also have quad).

In quad, I have used DACT (~$175 from Headamp once upon a time), the Asian steppers, or the 41 step from Acoustic-Dimension, high-end audio and components for tube audio , which I have in the current eXStatA, though did NOT have to pay the price listed (gracias, Marc).

Attenuation and I have a rather sordid past, as there has been a different selection on almost every project, and as they say, water finds it's own level.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #2,128 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In dual pots, TKD 2p2511 or Noble, or steppers, the usual Asian origin, or pricey as in Goldpoint (who also have quad).

In quad, I have used DACT (~$175 from Headamp once upon a time), the Asian steppers, or the 41 step from Acoustic-Dimension, high-end audio and components for tube audio , which I have in the current eXStatA, though did NOT have to pay the price listed (gracias, Marc).

Attenuation and I have a rather sordid past, as there has been a different selection on almost every project, and as they say, water finds it's own level.

Attenuator Fetishes...

They only worsen if not immediately addressed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back