eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 31, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #1,846 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed! And thanks for not letting the entire DIY world know I forgot to bolt down the PS to the standofs, and it came loose and nearly electrocuted you!
redface.gif

Thought you'd like to hear it. Just to tide you over...
icon10.gif

Well, I didn't want to make you look bad, so I kept my mouth shut.
tongue.gif

Fortunately you didn't send 600v through the case, and I was not in any danger. But when the headphones get no bias because the PS is floating around inside and ripping out wires, then there is no sound.
ph34r.gif

I'm just glad I was able to figure out which wires go where, after you wouldn't pick up your phone.
angry_face.gif

-----

While we're being so open and honest - I do find the amp doesn't sound nearly as good single ended as it does balanced (regardless of the switches in the rear), and in SE mode the right channel is slightly louder than the left, while in balanced mode they are perfectly matched. This may have happened when the PS came lose, I don't know.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #1,848 of 2,970
I am currently looking for a fitting transformer.

Since I'm living in Germany and have 220V coming from the "wall" the 269JX doesn't work here.
I'd need the 369AX - which costs about twice as much (85$).

Although I've been following this thread I don't remember somebody mentioning more alternatives for the hybrid?
Could I simply use two transformers - one with 250V and one with 6,3V for the heaters?

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #1,849 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could I simply use two transformers - one with 250V and one with 6,3V for the heaters?

You mean one 500VCT or two identical 250V. That and a 6.3V@>3A would be fine.
Be sure to check your German ebay, old radio shops, or custom transformer buiders too. Matter of fact, I would stay very clear of the Hammond given the report they get hot with the hybrid amp.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,851 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanoacry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi runeight,

I'd like to grab a set of SS boards. Could you add me to the list?

Thanks!
cyanoacry

On the list.
smily_headphones1.gif

There are two SS boards remaining.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #1,852 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by acmemr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would only say: Me too.
bigsmile_face.gif

acmemr, I missed your post, so you're on the list now too.

That leaves one SS board unspoken for.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #1,853 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
acmemr, I missed your post, so you're on the list now too.

That leaves one SS board unspoken for.

I'll take the last SS board set! Let me know where to forward the payment.

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #1,855 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently looking for a fitting transformer.

Since I'm living in Germany and have 220V coming from the "wall" the 269JX doesn't work here.
I'd need the 369AX - which costs about twice as much (85$).

Although I've been following this thread I don't remember somebody mentioning more alternatives for the hybrid?

Yes, as macm75 points out, you can use two 250V transformers in series to make one 250-0-250 transformer and then a separate 6.3V heater transformer.

There is information on the website about using the HV Triad transformers in series for just his purpose. Although the triads haven't had much discussion, they work perfectly alright and can be wired for 220V line.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #1,858 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, that makes 10 of each spoken for.

List is attached and let me know if any of you change your minds.
smily_headphones1.gif

hi there,

i'm interested in a tube version.........guess i'm on a waiting list if anyone changes their mind

i have a stax lambda pro with an srm-t1s driver........driver input is xlr output of wadia 27ix fed aes/ubu by tact rcs2.0s digital room correction unit in feedthrough mode (no room equalization) but set to upscale to 96khz.........for some crazy synergy, the wadia sings with 96khz input over aes/ebu, all other inputs collapse the soundstage (even 96khz over spdif!)........it was like a new DAC when i found the aes/ebu/96khz setting.......and i'd love to know why
beyersmile.png

been listening to stax since i first got a pair of old ones in college long long ago............this unit sounds very exciting...............have to blame my first ever canjam in NJ this year for getting me back on the headphone upgrade trail...........i was positive going in that that would not happen
atsmile.gif

happy new year everyone

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #1,859 of 2,970
followup: just discovered this 100+ page thread...........are there any key posts that summarize project?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back