Explosions in the Sky
Sep 10, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 50
GY!BE, EITS, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros are the post-rock giants. If you like EITS, the rest might also be to your liking. Also if you like these bands, I'd recommend heading over to Progarchives' post-rock listing. Good to see some prog bands getting exposure.
lambda.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #20 of 50
I prefer "Set fire to flames" personally... theres more music although they do tend to tune their instruments alot. "Sing Reign Rebuilder" is a brilliant album, very moody and haunting = very good!

And If i could recommend an album to those of you who like explosions more than godspeed it would be Yndi Halda's - "Enjoy eternal bliss" its simply stunning and it comes out in November.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
Brilliant just the reply I needed squall. I've been eyeing that particular album for ages on Amazon and its turned up today. But at £15 I think I'll wait a while
plainface.gif

Yeah I paid a similar price, unless you look at some stores in the states I don't think you'll find it much lower...seems like they aren't making them anymore. Their second album is a bit easier to get hold of but is more spacey with less music, but the music that is there is good.

I'd say hangedup are pretty damn good too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 50
I've really liked EITS ever since I saw them open for Trail of Dead a few years back. At first I didn't want to like them since they seemed to sound a lot like Mogwai, but it was obvious by halfway through their first song that they are the real deal.

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
I prefer "Set fire to flames" personally... theres more music although they do tend to tune their instruments alot. "Sing Reign Rebuilder" is a brilliant album, very moody and haunting = very good!

And If i could recommend an album to those of you who like explosions more than godspeed it would be Yndi Halda's - "Enjoy eternal bliss" its simply stunning and it comes out in November.
smily_headphones1.gif

Set Fire to Flames is good stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #25 of 50
SFtF is.....God, i can't think of an adjective.

Signs Reign Rebuilder is pretty good in a haunting way, but Telegraphs in Negative/Mouths Trapped in Static just plain freaks me out. I cant listen to it and do anything else.

Sep 12, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #28 of 50
I'll check have to check them out since I'm a huge GYBE fan.

Along similar lines I'd recommed Mono, in particular the album You Are There. A friend recommended it a while back and I can't stop listening to it.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #29 of 50
EITS are a great band, I highly recommend The Earth Is Not A Dead Cold Place....

Other must-have albums in the same genre:

Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
- Like EITS with a string section but the music is darker, gloomier, more multi-layered.

Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky - Mono (the Japanese band, NOT the Electronica duo).
- Like GY!BE but much LOUDER (read: more distorted ROCK guitars). This album worth it for ONE track alone, "Halcyon". Probably one of the saddest most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Come On Die Young - Mogwai
- These guys are legends in this "genre" of course - different sounding from the above bands though - the music is less dramatic, less layered and a maybe a bit repetetive - but this gives it it's "listenability", and hypnotic feel. Live, they rock! Some vocals on this album.

The Sea And The Bells - Rachel's
- This is more "classical-music" influenced than anything else. It's like GY!BE without electric guitars. Beautiful nonetheless.

Further - Flying Saucer Attack
- This is a one-man project I believe. It fits in well with all the above but is very minimal - mostly guitars with tons of feedback, echo and some whispered vocals.

Eluvium - Talk Amongst The Trees
- Another one man project - similar to Flying Saucer Attack but without vocals and mostly keyboards. More new-agey than anything here but still great music. At first listen the whole album blends in and sounds "samey" but you have to really listen a few times to find all the subtle differences in sound, space, "melody".

E Luxo So - Labradford
- Very minimilist, keyboard-centric, ambient music. Not as gripping or up-front as the other albums listed here, probably the most low-key but still a good listen.

In my opinion, all these artists owe SOME debt to Sonic Youth - one of the first and certainly the most enduring of all experimental/avante-garde rock bands. 1987's "Sister", 1995's "Washing Machine", and 2000's "NYC Ghosts And Flowers" are all great albums. But they also released a series of albums under the name SYR on their own label which have more in common with the music above. If interested pick up SYR 1, 2 or 3!

Also, there are other awesome bands that fall under the "post-rock" genre and these are also mostly instrumental albums but with less of a classical/chamber music bent and more of a rock, jazz or ambient (or in most cases, both!) sound:

TNT - Tortoise
Millions Now Living Will Never Die - Tortoise
The Red Line - Trans Am (Awesome blend of ambient/progressive rock. A must buy if you're a fan of drummers - this guy can play!)
Futureworld - Trans Am (as above, but the ambient pieces have more of a techno feel and the rock songs are even heavier)

And one more: If you're a fan of the Cocteau Twins, Robin Guthrie's latest solo album "Continental" is a must buy. It's like Cocteau Twins without vocals, but the more I listen the more I feel this stuff fits right in with what Mogwai is doing so it deserves a place in your "post-rock" library
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 50
Anyone heard the Japanese band ENVY?

From what I've read, they're more in the Isis/Neurosis camp. But it seems their lastest release is being called "post-rock" by various reviewers. I'm very curious. Apparently their singer was on a track on the last Mogwai album.

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back