Explosions in the Sky
Sep 9, 2006 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
Mkay, get ready to live...Everyone that reads this thread needs to at least go give Explosions in the Sky a quick listen via iTunes preview, amazon, whatever...just don't miss out.

Their music is some of the most moving and powerful pieces I have ever heard. And with the proper head-fi setup...you're in for a real treat.

No lyrics, just a aural journey.

It is technically classified as 'post-rock' genre, but I recommend them to anyone and everyone I know. I would most recommend their 'The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place' album as it is my personal favorite. Also check out the soundtrack from 'Friday Night Lights' as the entire album is from Explosions in the Sky...even though they didn't do all the music for the movie, the powers that be decided that their music was too good not to devote the entire album to.

Anyways, enough from me...you guys go take a listen and let me know what you think.

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 50
I've listened to "Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever" and I remember enjoying it very much. Great artists. Probably the best out of the Post-Rock genre.

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 50
Sep 10, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 50
Listening to "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place" on the D-1000 is the musical equivalent of a one night stand with Kate Moss. Amazing, confusing, thrilling, happy, monumental....but leavs you wanting more at the end.

Oh yeah, and there's no cocaine involved with EITS.

They're my favorite band, and anyone who hasn't seen them live....hasn't lived.
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 50
I just picked up 'The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place' and am enjoying it as we speak. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 50
Thanks for the tip on the free EP. Sounds great. Reminds me of Cul de Sac a bit so far.. (check out Cul de Sac folks if you haven't already..)

-jar

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 50
we had a thread like this about a year ago where several similar bands surfaced:

Explosions In The Sky
Goodspeed You Black Emporer!
A Silver Mount Zion Orchestra

So check out these others too
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 50
"Explosions in the sky" are incredible... but "Godspeed You Black Emperor!" is something else!

I'm glad your liking them though, I might have a listen to them tonight!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 50
Currently listening the mp3 from their website. Song Your Hand In Mine from The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place.

Incredibly beautifull stuff!
eek.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 50
There is an American movie called "Friday Night Lights." EITS did the soundtrack and there are some really wonderful scenes where the music truly steals the show.

It is worth seeing for those moments. Also, I like the movie despite the fact that I'm not interested in American HS football.

Most of the material is from "the earth is not a cold dead place."

Sep 10, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 50
Jeez. I'm a Jackass. The OP mentions Friday Night Lights in the first post!

In any case, I second the OP's motion. The music makes that movie, in the same way the music makes "Lost in Translation." Check out FNL just to see the images combined with the soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back