Explain the use and benefits of tube amps?
Apr 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #91 of 98
Dont agree.   The topic says "explain the benefit and use of tube amps" and the discussion is certainly relevant to that.

Also, more pertinently to your subsequent questions, the discussion useless b/c it gives context to both asking for and receiving advice.   You cannot really have a recommendation for an amp without:
1/ Defining "better" in terms of expectations
2/ Understanding the pros and cons of tube amps, especially inexpensive ones

As is, I for one to do not have enough info to really give a meaningful answer to your question.  If you want a tube amp for the sake of a tube amp, buy whichever one you get.  If you want it for a specific reason, what is that?  That will affect what your recommendations are.  The bulk of this thread covers that in enough detail.

Thank you for the reply, I guess what I was getting at was that most of the above information was a little over my head and generally I do know the sound of tubes (warm, full bodied, maybe slightly less accurate low end) and I'm not too worried about the sound, I just want something that people have a common agreement to be a good "begginer" tube amp. As for lorspeaker, I'll for sure check it out,oops very intriguing and I like the ease of swapping tubes. This is a great start, keep the suggestions coming please.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #92 of 98
  Hey guys,

I'm looking at a Schiit Vali/Modi combo to drive some new cans I got. The problem is that I don't know anything at all about tube amps and how they're different from a regular amp. Can someone give me a tutorial on tube amps? 

Might want to go to a few meets..take your headphones,& your music.
I would try out  at least 3 tube amps.

My personnel preference was always Schiit amps/Dacs.,and I used their products for about 2 years,until I got the Stax setup
Quality vs Price IMHO,schiit is one of the best..tech support is outstanding.
Be prepared to look at quality products ,that range in price ,from $99- to -$2K

Warning:
Don't rush into tube rolling ,until you know exactly what changes each tube you purchase,gives you the result,,you are searching for

Also,place an add in the buy/sell forum,you can find some great bargains,and,most head-fiers will work with you on price.
Almost 75% of my gear has been purchased via,the B/S forum,and never had a problem

Good Luck,
Mike

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #93 of 98
^^ Good point about how tubes sound different.  The sound of a single-ended-triode design is something completely different from, say, a Dynaco ST-70 (I had rebuilt one back in the 90s, using Ned @ Triode Electronics's updated circuitry but it never did it for me), which is different from the current crop of tube-driver/MOSFET-output designs that seem to be prevalent, atleast in the headphone world... and then there are the OTL designs.

Yet that myth of "tube sound" persists as if it were some sort of a single, universal characteristic.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #94 of 98
For some reason, in the past, I feared that tube amps would become extinct...that would be so tragic.  I have now realised, and have come to the conclusion that tube amps will NEVER die.  There are far too many passionate enthusiasts for tube amps for them to ever become extinct.  I think the best introduction to tube amps is in headphones - that's how I got suckered in.

I think there is a universal 'tube' sound...but it has nothing to do with 'warmth' and everything to do with 'natural sound'.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #95 of 98
  For some reason, in the past, I feared that tube amps would become extinct...that would be so tragic.  I have now realised, and have come to the conclusion that tube amps will NEVER die.  There are far too many passionate enthusiasts for tube amps for them to ever become extinct.  I think the best introduction to tube amps is in headphones - that's how I got suckered in.

I think there is a universal 'tube' sound...but it has nothing to do with 'warmth' and everything to do with 'natural sound'.

I feel the same way about the universal tube sound. I never thought it had anything to do with warmth, I've heard enough bright, dark, neutral, and warm tube amps/tubes to know warmth is not the tube sound but rather some inherent naturalness is the tube sound like you say.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #96 of 98
Im gonna throw my hat here into the rink and say that this conversation has become completely off topic. I believe the initial request was suggestions for cheap (~200$) tube amps that would sound good and be a good fit for beginners.

Try the Chi-fi tube amps, then buy some better tubes and roll 'em. If you want to mod, new high-end capacitors will be a wise choice.

Capacitors are what usually fail on modern electronics, flat screen tv, monitors, tube amps, etc.

I own a Mercator 6J1 Chinese headphone tube amp with Chinese tubes, upgrade the tubes for better sound; those tubes, stock, are under $1 each. It can also be used as a preamp.

180CNY, $30 USD.

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #97 of 98
Try the Chi-fi tube amps, then buy some better tubes and roll 'em. If you want to mod, new high-end capacitors will be a wise choice.

Capacitors are what usually fail on modern electronics, flat screen tv, monitors, tube amps, etc.

I own a Mercator 6J1 Chinese headphone tube amp with Chinese tubes, upgrade the tubes for better sound; those tubes, stock, are under $1 each. It can also be used as a preamp.

180CNY, $30 USD.

Hmmm, thats really going bargain bin, which honestly isnt a bad idea, gives me quite a bit of money to play with tubes, Im also thinking of picking up a little dot mk1+ for cheap as well 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back