EXPERTS: What amp should I get for my JVC FX-700's?
May 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CareyPrice31

Montreal Canadiens
Before I get started, I would like to say that I am a huge "noob" when it comes to the IEM world. You guys have been great with me and I hope to continue to get amazing help.

I will me driving my FX-700's using my iPhone, but I want to know if I should get a portable amp. I have some extra cash and I am not sure what I should get and if it's worth it.

My budget is <150

May 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 10
It really doesn't need a amp, but if you can find a $20 Fiio E5 portable amp, it will match up nicely with the FX700. I would ditch the cheap stereo connection cable, however, that comes with the Fiio. Go to Radio Shack and by a nicer 1 foot stereo connector cable (same stereo mini-plug on each end) and use that to connect your digital audio player device to your portable amp. The cheap amp sounds really nice with the FX700.

Now if you have an extra $150 lying around, go ahead and order the Radius DDM IEM. With those two earphones, I believe you will be ahead of the curb for a long time with all of your earphone audio needs. Checkout the appreciation thread to learn more about those earphones, which I believe are the best bang for the buck IEMs that have come out so far this year.

May 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, I think the amp actually makes a decent amount of difference in SQ - I would recommend the Headstage arrow since it seems to be the best bang for the buck(you could prob get it used for around 200 if anyone is willing to sell). Don't forget you need an LOD though and that could be quite a bit of your budget (30-150) unless you already have one :)

May 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 10
I ordered the Fiio from eBay.

I hope it's reputable, the eBay is shipping from China but has 100% feedback. What do you think? Also, what's a mini-lug? 3.5mm plug?

Cost me $25.00

Also, why is the Radius DDM good?
Quote:
It really doesn't need a amp, but if you can find a $20 Fiio E5 portable amp, it will match up nicely with the FX700. I would ditch the cheap stereo connection cable, however, that comes with the Fiio. Go to Radio Shack and by a nicer 1 foot stereo connector cable (same stereo mini-plug on each end) and use that to connect your digital audio player device to your portable amp. The cheap amp sounds really nice with the FX700.

Now if you have an extra $150 lying around, go ahead and order the Radius DDM IEM. With those two earphones, I believe you will be ahead of the curb for a long time with all of your earphone audio needs. Checkout the appreciation thread to learn more about those earphones, which I believe are the best bang for the buck IEMs that have come out so far this year.

May 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, I can't vouch for the vendor on ebay, but with 100 percent positive feedback I think you should be okay. The price definitely sounds right.

And yes, a 3.5mm double-ended stereo connection cord. you should be all set. There should be one (two actually) when you get the Fiio if you want to wait. That way you will have an idea of what I'm talking about. You will want a better one (it will be thicker too) from Radio Shack. It should hit your wallet for about $3 to $4 - unless they have a price jump. Happy listening.

May 19, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Oh, read the last two pages of the Radius appreciation thread. I've typed extensively my first impression (just received mine yesterday) on the Radius. Don't want to re-type all of that here. Look at the last two to three pages, or actually read the whole appreciation thread.

May 19, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Oh, read the last two pages of the Radius appreciation thread. I've typed extensively my first impression (just received mine yesterday) on the Radius. Don't want to re-type all of that here. Look at the last two to three pages, or actually read the whole appreciation thread.

So Eric, seeing you with so many IEMs, I never really got the chance to ask you about what kind of amps and players you use. So do you like listening amped or unamped?

May 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 10
koonhua, just the Fiio E5, E1 and uDAC. Players are mostly Apple 120/160 gb Classics, 16 gb nano, 1gb shuffle, and 16gb Sony S545. haven't invested in a high amp yet. Don't know if I will. By the way, nozzle on Radius is like a mixture of Monster Turbine and FX700 (long stem, but a bit shorter indention than Fx700). So any tips that fit the IE8, Copper or FX700 will fit the DDM with no issue. but you can't push the tips all the way down so the sound part is showing like you can with the FX700. Even if you could, the Radius won't sound right in that manner.

May 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 10

Are my FX-700 better than the Radius?
Quote:
koonhua, just the Fiio E5, E1 and uDAC. Players are mostly Apple 120/160 gb Classics, 16 gb nano, 1gb shuffle, and 16gb Sony S545. haven't invested in a high amp yet. Don't know if I will. By the way, nozzle on Radius is like a mixture of Monster Turbine and FX700 (long stem, but a bit shorter indention than Fx700). So any tips that fit the IE8, Copper or FX700 will fit the DDM with no issue. but you can't push the tips all the way down so the sound part is showing like you can with the FX700. Even if you could, the Radius won't sound right in that manner.

May 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back