Experiences with Bryston BHA-1 headamp?
Jan 17, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #32 of 157
Ready to roll.

Very nice equipment! Bryston does a nice job designing its equipment. They use beefy power supplies, nicely spec'ed components, are intelligently laid out and are robust. Hence, little reason to update. If your DAC will allow it, I'd use one set of outputs each for the stereo and headphone amps. In this way, you are using the Benchmark as a preamp for both the power amp and headphone amp. If not, go from the DAC to the BHA-1, then balanced out to your power amp (the balanced outputs are variable, so the BHA-1 can serve as a preamp). If I may make a suggestion (and maybe this is your plan), I'd separate the equipment some to reduce potential interaction and allow for heat dissipation. If you've got room to spread them out horizontally, that'd be best. If not, give everything room to breathe.

Enjoy!

Joe.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #33 of 157
Very nice equipment! Bryston does a nice job designing its equipment. They use beefy power supplies, nicely spec'ed components, are intelligently laid out and are robust. Hence, little reason to update. If your DAC will allow it, I'd use one set of outputs each for the stereo and headphone amps. In this way, you are using the Benchmark as a preamp for both the power amp and headphone amp. If not, go from the DAC to the BHA-1, then balanced out to your power amp (the balanced outputs are variable, so the BHA-1 can serve as a preamp). If I may make a suggestion (and maybe this is your plan), I'd separate the equipment some to reduce potential interaction and allow for heat dissipation. If you've got room to spread them out horizontally, that'd be best. If not, give everything room to breathe.

Enjoy!

Joe.
Thanks, great ideas. Yes I'm using the bha1 as a preamp for the amp. I'm in a cold basement so heat is never an issue!

Apr 19, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #35 of 157
Curious about this, worries about volume (hearing loss)

I can play my jotunheim at 3 o'clock.

And if this amp maxes out at 11. Seems like maybe the ragnarok or a wells milo might be better?

Apr 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #37 of 157
What would be a far better amp from our beloved Bryston that will worth to spend money on it?
Honestly, for a solid state...I don't think there are many, if any except for side grades...it is the one amp that is still with me, and it is like the saying goes, wire with gain. It has a lot more wattage than it is rated for as well, as I am right this moment using my power-hungry HE-6 on it.

Apr 20, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 157
I wonder how the existing Violectrics stack up. I have a V280 and it's a honker of an amp. Violectric has a new amp coming out also. I have not seen nor heard the Bryston though I would like to.

Apr 20, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #39 of 157
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #42 of 157
Tempting, but the comments on the volume control are a bit of a worry.

what are your concerns? the volume control is very solid and of high quality -- works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back