Experiences with Bryston BHA-1 headamp?
Aug 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #151 of 157
I'm having the opposite gain problem on my newly acquired 2017 bha-1. Not a problem technically, I just want to keep the amp on low gain because I've read it has lower noise that way. Along with using the lower 1V recommended output for headphones from a Wiim pro plus, and not wanting to go over 90% volume on my phone, to also eliminate any extra possible distortion. With 90% on phone, 1V output from Wiim, and bha-1 on low gain, I have the volume around the 2:00 position for my HD600's. But 95% of the time I don't need it louder than that, just on the very quiet recordings. I also have a balanced headphone cable coming that should solve this. It sounds amazing though, didn't want to turn it off last night and went to bed very late. That never happened with my RME adi-2 dac fs and LCD-3F combo.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #152 of 157
I'm having the opposite gain problem on my newly acquired 2017 bha-1. Not a problem technically, I just want to keep the amp on low gain because I've read it has lower noise that way. Along with using the lower 1V recommended output for headphones from a Wiim pro plus, and not wanting to go over 90% volume on my phone, to also eliminate any extra possible distortion. With 90% on phone, 1V output from Wiim, and bha-1 on low gain, I have the volume around the 2:00 position for my HD600's. But 95% of the time I don't need it louder than that, just on the very quiet recordings. I also have a balanced headphone cable coming that should solve this. It sounds amazing though, didn't want to turn it off last night and went to bed very late. That never happened with my RME adi-2 dac fs and LCD-3F combo.
The balanced cable allowed me to drop my phone volume from 90% down to about 65-70%. It may have also slightly added to detail, and did improve instrument separation. Loving this system.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #153 of 157
About to jump right back into the hobby. BHA-1 is right on my "entry" list as I can use this as a pre for a speaker setup as well. I'm gonna have to go through the Audio Circle thread first.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #155 of 157
Well, this is one of the quietest SS circuits you'll encounter. High gain shouldn't cause any problem. I've had it near max with the Susvara (it actually works, though not ideal), on high gain - noise is simply not an issue. But as others have indicated, if you can do balanced, you'll have more silent, clean power on hand. Adam Tanner once described their circuit design to me, and how they avoided compromise in getting the most power and clean gain from that class A circuit... including that there is no point on that pot at which you will encounter any increase in distortion unless you're dealing with some electrical mismatch.

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #156 of 157
Any info on the possible revisions of this amp? Seem to be a few between 2012 and its discontinuation.
Well, I have it from the voice of authority that rumors of a flagship headphone amp are unfounded. They are pleased with their BHA-1 - which has NOT been discontinued, is still very much in production, and has undergone minimal revisions since 2012 - as I understand it, just the in fusion of balanced output.

I'm told they've discussed making a more powerful flagship headphone amp, but they don't want to go to class AB OR go to a larger chassis. They would want to approach it from the ground-up and it's not a priority at this time. "A long way out, and no way to tell where we land on this".

Dan

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #157 of 157
Well, this is one of the quietest SS circuits you'll encounter. High gain shouldn't cause any problem. I've had it near max with the Susvara (it actually works, though not ideal), on high gain - noise is simply not an issue. But as others have indicated, if you can do balanced, you'll have more silent, clean power on hand. Adam Tanner once described their circuit design to me, and how they avoided compromise in getting the most power and clean gain from that class A circuit... including that there is no point on that pot at which you will encounter any increase in distortion unless you're dealing with some electrical mismatch.
Thanks, good to know it's that well designed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back