Experiences with big spiders
Mar 30, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #136 of 182
oh grooosss, there should be a warning on that! lol

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #138 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, that brown recluse bite picture I linked to seems to have died, so I have hosted it on image shack. Check it out now:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6...erbitedol0.jpg

WOW
blink.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #139 of 182
So after reading this thread, anybody look around for spiders before you turn off the light to go to bed?

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #140 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TLondon%202%20063.jpg

Ok so not a spider per se, but that should be enough to make the arachnaphobes crawl under their seats!

very_evil_smiley.gif

I've actually eaten these on a few occasions. My dad brought one back from Alaska. It was superb
wink.gif
Ours was about 3/4 the size of that though...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SpiderPug!

SpiderPug.JPG

!!! Freaked me out at for about a split second, then realised what it was
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread is addicting, i want to see some pictures of poisonous spider wounds. I don't know why... I think i am sadistic.

btw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc take a look

Can't possibly be true! LOL It's just taking the piss
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, that brown recluse bite picture I linked to seems to have died, so I have hosted it on image shack. Check it out now:
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6...erbitedol0.jpg

Never seen a bite so horrible, but not the worst wound. Some of the shark bites and skin diseases are much worse. Looks like they tried stitching it, but then it swelled up due to uncontrolled inflammation so much the stitches just came apart... There's also a fair bit of necrosis going on. He must've had the antivenom (if there is one at all) quite late. Poor chap...
Quote:

Originally Posted by strungoutt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly.... There was like 15 or so pictures showing the progression of that bite somewhere. Ill have to see if I can find it.

Please find the progression! This sort of thing interests me.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #143 of 182
Quite informative. Click on the link about Philip Anderson chap who's some expert of Brown Recluse bites. Apparently, loxoscelism is rare and there is no concrete evidence showing that it actually happens. Most of "victims" survive and heal fully (ie minimal scarring) without medical treatment. That's comforting. Whatever the guy did to get his hand to look like that is beyond me. He probably got it infected, but an infection alone won't cause such profound necrosis...

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #144 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite informative. Click on the link about Philip Anderson chap who's some expert of Brown Recluse bites. Apparently, loxoscelism is rare and there is no concrete evidence showing that it actually happens. Most of "victims" survive and heal fully (ie minimal scarring) without medical treatment. That's comforting. Whatever the guy did to get his hand to look like that is beyond me. He probably got it infected, but an infection alone won't cause such profound necrosis...

I got bitten by a brown recluse on my upper right hip when I was about 12. It happened in the local mountains, and fortunately, I was staying with friends, whose father is a pathologist. He knew what it was and didn't seem particularly worried.

It really wasn't that bad. I didn't feel the bite and it was mostly sore to the touch. An area about the size of a half dollar swelled a bit and was tender to the touch. Eventually, the flesh there necrotized and fell off. Nothing painful, but still tender. I kept it clean and bandaged, and it didn't bother me unless I touched it. Even then, it felt about like poking a bruise, so not that bad. Like was mentioned, it healed without treatment in 8-10 weeks or so. The spot was discolored for a few years, but you can't tell now. It's not something I'd want to go through again, but it ranks pretty low on the injury scale.

Mar 30, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #145 of 182
Oh so there was necrosis. Maybe he got bitten quite a few times? But there seems to be only one break in the skin
confused.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #146 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most spiders I don't mind that much. It's the ones that spin webs across common walkways that piss me off. Picking web out of my face and hair is annoying. Most of the ones that get into the house are pretty small, plus spiders tend to move much more predictably than flying insects, so it's easier to judge what the hell they're up to.
wink.gif

Plus I think these guys are incredibly cute (jumping spiders):
JkwmcBe1wqmJmawSCU03ks3kskXL0003kskXLeCop1IlN.jpg

sp-phidippus3.jpg

L7okNKz2po0L1iXx0503ks3kskXL0003kskXLeCop1IlN.jpg

I love jumpers,they are fascinating to study as they stalk their prey.
They also have a pair of movable eyes, [not whether all species of jumper
share this feature] but unlike ours the moving parts are internal.
Behind the glassy outer parts lie long cone like structures that aim at its
target.
One particular species [I really wish I could remember which!]
was featured on a National Geographic show a while back.
They placed a monitor in front of it so it could see itself.
It was quite something to see this tiny creature signaling to the image on the monitor!!
Apparently this sort of behavior is only normally observed with primates...

Redshifter,as for cuttle fish etc, true artists!

The wonderful diversity of life on this planet never ceases to amaze me.
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #147 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampl1tude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc take a look

I loved that video
biggrin.gif
. I remember watching the 'serious' version of that video on natgeo.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #148 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got bitten by a brown recluse on my upper right hip when I was about 12. It happened in the local mountains, and fortunately, I was staying with friends, whose father is a pathologist. He knew what it was and didn't seem particularly worried.

It really wasn't that bad. I didn't feel the bite and it was mostly sore to the touch. An area about the size of a half dollar swelled a bit and was tender to the touch. Eventually, the flesh there necrotized and fell off. Nothing painful, but still tender. I kept it clean and bandaged, and it didn't bother me unless I touched it. Even then, it felt about like poking a bruise, so not that bad. Like was mentioned, it healed without treatment in 8-10 weeks or so. The spot was discolored for a few years, but you can't tell now. It's not something I'd want to go through again, but it ranks pretty low on the injury scale.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=73

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #149 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread.

i. just. can't. stop. looking.

I know! Im a hardcore phobe but... i guess i am self masochistic..

oh btw is that big custacean a snow crab? I like to eat those legs.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #150 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember watching the 'serious' version of that video on natgeo.

link please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back