Expensive in-ears and rain.. possible?
Nov 1, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 34
Livewire users should be aware that the dynamic nature of these iem's attract lightning.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 34
I've worn my HD 25's in the rain before now, but I didn't have the cups rotated so no water would get in the cup.

I wouldn't want to risk my hd580's tho.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #18 of 34
when it rain's or it's foggy i wear my ksc75. such weather just cant be good for iem's(sf EB's have tiny holes pointed upwards so the rain go's straigth inside ^^). if they are completely closed then it should be fine

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
almost everything electronic has some kind of circuit/main board, and if that gets wet it ruins it, and I know this from learning the "basics of electronical devices". Anything that doesn't have some type of circuit/main board isn't consider an "electronic device".

If it's off and you let it dry completely, it will be fine, as long as there wasn't something nasty in the water that could still short contacts.

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #20 of 34
the biggest problem would be water getting on the transducer/driver and when drying distorting it (like a peice of wet paper). Aslong as the rain isn't torential and the earbud is in your ear this shouldn't be a problem.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as long as there wasn't something nasty in the water that could still short contacts.

Precisely. No H2O are completely pure. U wanna risk it, fine. Waitingit2dry painful too.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 34
I, personally, would be too afraid to try using the IEMs in the rain. Too much at risk. However if someone else took up the task and found that it was fine- I would then consider trying it.

Try another member's idea of using the KSC75's during rain instead.

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #23 of 34
I've washed and dried my Marshmallows exactly 3 times in the washing machine then dried in a full size dryer. Twice they were accompanied by my silver ipod shuffle. Both still work great as my workout rig, no issues. However, I did ensure the ipod was bone dry (believe it or not, there was still a lot of moisture in it even after the dryer).

As far as IEMs in the rain...ever see how bad a rock musician sweats on stage? Really even the cheap I-buds last forever when drenched in sweat from a workout. You'd think if IEMs were that sensitive, they wouldn't survive a single performance or workout...sweat is pretty corrosive. Or how about going from a air-conditioned office out into a hot, muggy summer day? I'm pretty sure you'll have a least a little condensation both inside and outside of the IEM (if not, then they are watertight and should not have a problem in the rain).

If they were to fail, for lets say condensation build up over a summer, would you feel different about sending them in for warranty work? You'd think environmental factors would be considered into the design of a product that has potential of being used in a non-sterile environment (like portable IEMs?).

Take this a step further. Ever put your Ipod, phone, IEMs etc in a shirt pocket during the summer and notice all the condensation on it from the evaporation from your body?

I wouldn't worry a bit about it.

R/
D

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #24 of 34
im gonna email shure and tell them winter is here in the UK and i want to know if they think i should still be able to use my earphones outdoors in drissle and snow or wether they should be housebound.

personally i think all earphones need to have a little protection and not short out at a hint of rain

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by athenaesword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well technically there's still parts of your computer that're running on battery in the MB. so err i would strongly advise you against using water on your computer =] but if you must, do make sure u pull the plug beforehand. oh and it's not so much moisture than damages, but the condensation that might occur internally. that could really ruin your computer, plus the fact that it'll take forever to evaporate

But I guess if its a bucket of deionized water, in a sealed vacuum room, it probably wouldn't be that bad eh? Just dry it all out and stuff like that...And make sure the water carries no dissolved oxygen inside as well.

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #26 of 34
You're just getting paranoid because they're expensive. Seriously, don't worry about it. Those things are designed to be beat up. I've used numerous IEM of different types through all kinds of sports and all kinds of Canadian weather and never had one fail. Honestly, don't worry about it. And have you guys never washed your keyboard before? My goodness... you people have alot to learn about keeping your gear clean.

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the biggest problem would be water getting on the transducer/driver and when drying distorting it (like a peice of wet paper). Aslong as the rain isn't torential and the earbud is in your ear this shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly. Leave them in your ears during rain/drizzle. The seal will keep everything okay. But if you take them out and get water in your ear canal (or into the IEM nozzle) then re-insert them....not a good idea.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 34
Was your nickname 'Dumbo' at school, if so then your IEMs should be okay in a light shower.
tongue.gif

I would not wear my Shure SE500s in heavy rain without a hood/hat but I don't worry about it in light/misty rain.

Interesting note though from Kosmic on the Livewires - they really are potentially live wires!

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 34
I've worn my e4s in light rain before with no problems. Also one side fell into a cup of tea but worked fine after I cleaned and dried the filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back