Exorbitant Ebay Shipping Fees - Fair or Foul?
Jul 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
After reading this thread,

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...e-amps-347261/

I decided to create this poll. More and more Ebay sellers, particularly from overseas, are starting their opening bids really low but tacking on high shipping costs. The ostensible purpose of this is to avoid paying the Ebay fees. Do you think this is a fair thing to do? Why or why not, and are they hurting anyone in the process.

Please keep all discussions civil.

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 30
I'm certain that one reason is that shipping costs are high and getting higher, but also, posting inflated shipping costs buffers the seller against their item(s) selling for too little. It does not hurt either that most sellers pay less attention to the shipping costs than the current bid.

Laz

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 30
It's against eBay rules to have inflated shipping fees to avoid the listing fees.

So you get an amp for $10 and pay $250 in shipping. What if you have to return the amp for a refund- you get your purchase price refunded minus shipping fees?

Besides- do you really want to deal with Sellers who weasel around the rules? Is that some one you’d want to have warranty / shipping damage issues with?

No thanks.

Mitch

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 30
but will ebay jack up their fees to get back some of the money they are losing... and end up hurting the loyal customers? I would be scared to purchase for one of these sellers, in fear i would get shafted if i had to return.

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's against eBay rules to have inflated shipping fees to avoid the listing fees.

So you get an amp for $10 and pay $250 in shipping. What if you have to return the amp for a refund- you get your purchase price refunded minus shipping fees?

Precisely.

From the actual listing:

Quote:

Returns

* If the product is found to be defective, please contact us within 7 days of the buyer/winner receipt the item. Returned packages displaying an invalid or expired will not be accepted.
* Returned item should be in its original box with all packing materials and shipped to us via a traceable means.
* We carefully inspect returned items upon receipt before issuance of refunds or exchanges.
* Please allow up to 10 business days for us to process your return.
* Buyer bears all shipping cost of all exchanges or returns items.
* Shipping cost,handling fee and and insurance are not refundable in any case.

Anyone who orders this, doesn't do the reading, and gets screwed deserves it.

It's fair.

Jul 26, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 30
to be honest i dont really care. if you stupid enough not to notice the fees, then you deserve to be overcharged. the only annoying this is they sometimes come up in your price range, but then just chose "price including shipping".

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 30
I think ebay charges too much in fees, auction sites in Asia like taobao.com is ad-supported (like google) and are completely free. That said, sellers should play by the rules so I vote no it's not appropriate to structure your listings that way.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 30
FYI.....a flat rate box from the US to Hong Kong in $38.95.

I'd be leery of doing business with someone who was trying to screw EBay by making their profit with 'no fee' inflated shipping costs.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be leery of doing business with someone who was trying to screw EBay by making their profit with 'no fee' inflated shipping costs.

If sellers are doing this, it must (in part) be a symptom of eBay's fees being too high.

Laz

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 30
Sellers can ask whatever they want for shipping. And I regularly pass over goods with high shipping.

There's nothing I need on eBay. If had to buy essential goods through them, the shipping costs might bother me.

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 30
I had to pay $60 shipping on a $30 computer case on eBay once, that was stupid. It didn't really matter since I got the money back as an expense through work anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back