Exclusive: LD MKVI Reviewed!!
Oct 27, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #16 of 55
With tube amps, some transformers just hum (and some don't). There really isn't any rhyme or reason to it (assuming that it's not something like a ground loop or anything like that). It has nothing to do with the native voltage.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With tube amps, some transformers just hum (and some don't). There really isn't any rhyme or reason to it (assuming that it's not something like a ground loop or anything like that). It has nothing to do with the native voltage.

That's good to know. It is not ground loop so it might just be a tube transformer hum, depending on where it is place. I have noticed that when the amp is placed behind me and lower to the ground, the hum level reduces.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so happy to hear such a good review of this amp because... I am getting one!

With all these problems reported?
confused.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #20 of 55
Pengy,

Nice job on the write up. There is a simple adjustment you could make to possibly reduce the transformers mechanical hum, the constant 128V we get here in the GTA region can induce mechanical noise in some transformers. It's a hit or miss proposition it would seem (some amps have the noise while others don't).

Take the cover off the transformer that's making the noise. (Make sure the amp has been off for some time and unplugged before doing this). Look to see if the bolt holding the transformer is tight number 1 and number 2 if it has a damper cushion between it and the chassis top. If there is a fairly thick rubber damper than I suggest checking the nut to see if it's tight enough. One solution could be adding another rubber mat between it and the top plate then making sure that nut is good and tight and or tightening the nut a quarter turn past what it was at before you accessed the transformer can.

It's a easy process to try out and may just cure some (or even all) of the mechanical noise.

Did you buy the MK VI or are you just reviewing it ?

Peete.

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #22 of 55
I think i'm going to be keeping my Little Dot for a second rig
smily_headphones1.gif
Going to evaluate it with another source

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #25 of 55
What tubes does this amp use?

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_eak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review!

Does anyone know how does this LD6 drive the AKG K1000?

if u look at some of the posts on erji.net, u can see that the amp is built specificly for the k1000 in mind,that's why it has the 4 pin xlr output at the front. all the testing is done using the k1000 and hd650.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #30 of 55
Took apart the amp, re-tightened the transformers, but the hum still exists, at the same level. It might just be my amp or the nature of the transformer.

EDIT: I have tried plugging the amp into a different outlet. Although the hum is still present, the level has definitely reduced! It must be something to do with electricity and such. I will try to figure out what's causing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back