Exclusive: LD MKVI Reviewed!!
Oct 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if u look at some of the posts on erji.net, u can see that the amp is built specificly for the k1000 in mind,that's why it has the 4 pin xlr output at the front. all the testing is done using the k1000 and hd650.

Thanks for the note minivan!

I am actually looking for a headamp (not speaker amp) for the K1000. There's obviously the WA5, which is too expensive for me, and also the ASL MG OTL 32 DT. Here comes the LD MK6, which seems to be dedicated for the K1000 as well.

I would love to hear comments from the fellow head-fiers about their impressions on this LD MK6 with the AKG K1000!

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #32 of 55
Thank you for this nice review.

However, I feel that comparison with LD MKIII is not really instructive as the LD MKVI is obviously playing in another league.

I would rather have an A/B review against alternative "budget" balanced amps from RudiStor (NX-33 at 1.200$ with current rates), HeadRoom Balanced Desktop (1.499$ I believe) or DIY like B-22.

The LD MKVI is nowhere near cheap, at 830$ shipped (EU at least). The flaws with fans and transformer hum are easily overlooked for amps under 200$, but not for amps 4 times more expensive.

It is interesting though to see that LD is trying to grow its range of products especially in the higher end market (balanced & electrostatic), but they should expect customers to be a lot more quality oriented in this segment.

Thanks

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took apart the amp, re-tightened the transformers, but the hum still exists, at the same level. It might just be my amp or the nature of the transformer.

EDIT: I have tried plugging the amp into a different outlet. Although the hum is still present, the level has definitely reduced! It must be something to do with electricity and such. I will try to figure out what's causing this.

Hey, how did you manage to take the transformer cover off with the inside screw block by the heatsink between the two covers???

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #34 of 55
Zeenuts, don't you have a MKVI as well? Is that hum also present with your unit?

Nice review anyway. Now I'm leaning more towards the DacMagic in my search for a nice DAC for its balanced outputs. Could be very nice indeed in the future.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #35 of 55
Not as loud as penguindudes!

I'm running 5998 power tubes and the amp does not get as hot as 6080 tubes. So I drop my fan speed from 1800 to 800rpm +/- 100rpm to further reduce noise and vibration! Btw I'm using Noctua NF-R8, quality fans rated at about 7db(A) @ 800rpm!

I can only hear the faint noise from the right hand side transformer if my ear is about 10cm away from the amp!

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Took apart the amp, re-tightened the transformers, but the hum still exists, at the same level. It might just be my amp or the nature of the transformer.

EDIT: I have tried plugging the amp into a different outlet. Although the hum is still present, the level has definitely reduced! It must be something to do with electricity and such. I will try to figure out what's causing this.

i'm pretty sure how tight the transformer is screwed on to the chassis has nothing to do with the humming noise

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not as loud as penguindudes!

I'm running 5998 power tubes and the amp does not get as hot as 6080 tubes. So I drop my fan speed from 1800 to 800rpm +/- 100rpm to further reduce noise and vibration! Btw I'm using Noctua NF-R8, quality fans rated at about 7db(A) @ 800rpm!

I can only hear the faint noise from the right hand side transformer if my ear is about 10cm away from the amp!

Good to hear. I'd hate to see this balanced beauty go down. I hope more (Chinese
tongue.gif
) people will come up with balanced tube amps for this price.

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #38 of 55
I did some digging up on some recent thread about transformer hum. Some very interesting findings, in a recent woo audio6se thread it is reported that is quite normal for a tube amp transformer to hum a little!

But for the MK6, it's "flaw" and unacceptable!!!

Some of the guys on this forum is very quick to put down a product from CHINA! If this amp is from a USA company all these so call "flaws" are quite normal and acceptable!

What is the deal with the so call fan "flaws" I keep reading???

Are you guys refering to the cheap nasty noisy fan supplied by LD ON their first batch of the MK6???

If so, they're not "flaw" they work well just noisy. It's simple economics, you didn't expect LD to ship them with eg. Noctau Fan for $699USD did you??? Maybe something abit better (which they have now)!

Now if the amp is price at $999USD then that's a different story. There is a old saying "you get what you pay for", so please if you're paying for a Honda don't expect the refinements of a BMW!

Nov 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #39 of 55
I totally agree, but penguindude states the humming was quite bad. But then again, it did get better:

Quote:

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, how did you manage to take the transformer cover off with the inside screw block by the heatsink between the two covers???

It was a lot of effort. First i took out the volume dial, took out the screws for the board, lift the board, unscrew the heatsink covers, and my screwdriver was then able to reach and unscrew the two covers for the transformer.

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #42 of 55
So where did this land? Do all of LD Mk IV amps hum? Do only the first gen?

How about a comparison review to other similarly priced amps. Has any one seen one?

I'd love to see this amp compared to a Woo 6 or 6SE.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #43 of 55
Sorry, I have been away from home (and my LD6) for 3 weeks, but will be back this weekend. I will further look into the hum issue. I will probably try to plug it into eletrical isolators and such. As for comparison, if you can tell me which manufacturer sells a complete balanced tube amp for $700, please let me know.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where did this land? Do all of LD Mk IV amps hum? Do only the first gen?

How about a comparison review to other similarly priced amps. Has any one seen one?

I'd love to see this amp compared to a Woo 6 or 6SE.

I have the version with new fans, which arrived 3 weeks ago. no noise no hum to me
L3000.gif

Quote:

As for comparison, if you can tell me which manufacturer sells a complete balanced tube amp for $700, please let me know.

popcorn.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #45 of 55
God. My MKVI is now under the bed for almost 10 days lol. I even haven't turned it on yet.
Mine was fixed the fan problem. Moreover, David changed the transformer to suit US voltage so there's no longer the hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back