Exceptional in Every Detail: Say Hello to the IE 600
May 28, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #736 of 2,225
Hey! Do you guys recommend the IE600 for watching movies? Will it be too sibilant? And how are the explotions and background music? Will this IEM give me the most immersive experience?

Currently using X2HR Open Back headphones with boosted bass and reduced highs.

Any thoughts?

May 28, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #737 of 2,225
Been doing this for a minute. There has never been a silver bullet ear tip or cable here at Head-Fi. We could include 50 sizes each of 50 types of tips and they're gonna get crucified and rolled anyways because all ears vary. That's just the way it has always been and that's perfectly fine and par for the course.

The stock tips (silicone, memory foam) are the most versatile for the most amount of users but yeah, audiophiles are gonna tweak anyways. Years ago we included an insane variety of tips with the IE 8: 3x sizes silicone, 3x lamella, 3x foam, 2x funky-I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-them. 24 tips and only 2 get used for 99.99% of the listening lifespan. The reality is that nobody in Hi-Fi switches the tip types for different applications—they find what they like best and the rest collect dust or get discarded. The car analogy works here too: when you buy a car they don't give you the tires they think you'll ultimately prefer unless it's an upsell performance package. The car arrives with the most versatile tire for most users.
I don't intend to be argumentative by any means; however, using your analogy it feels like purchasing a luxury car with all weather tyres that have a puncture in them. I'm not particularly fussy with tips in general. I normally find the right size stock tip with any IEM and use that.

My main issue is the filter in the stock tips appears to influence the tuning (in a positive way from my brief experience). Unfortunately, the tips are so flimsy (silicone ones) it's difficult to get a seal. It's not really even a sizing issue, just a material/design one. At this price point, it feels inadequate IMO.

May 28, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #738 of 2,225
Been doing this for a minute. There has never been a silver bullet ear tip or cable here at Head-Fi. We could include 50 sizes each of 50 types of tips and they're gonna get crucified and rolled anyways because all ears vary. That's just the way it has always been and that's perfectly fine and par for the course.

The stock tips (silicone, memory foam) are the most versatile for the most amount of users but yeah, audiophiles are gonna tweak anyways. Years ago we included an insane variety of tips with the IE 8: 3x sizes silicone, 3x lamella, 3x foam, 2x funky-I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-them. 24 tips and only 2 get used for 99.99% of the listening lifespan. The reality is that nobody in Hi-Fi switches the tip types for different applications—they find what they like best and the rest collect dust or get discarded. The car analogy works here too: when you buy a car they don't give you the tires they think you'll ultimately prefer unless it's an upsell performance package. The car arrives with the most versatile tire for most users.
:) Just to let you know I am a BIG fan of Sennheiser products. I've sold most of my gear but kept all Sennheiser headphones.
There is no need to include 50 tips. What I am trying to say is that the new silicon tips that comes with IE600 are very cheap quality, I feel that I can rip them off by just pulling them out of my ears. The silicon tips from IE800 were just perfect fit and quality. The IE600 foam tips are excellent.

I still think that IE600 is absolutely must have IEM in my collection and I would love to try IE900 one day.

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #740 of 2,225
:) Just to let you know I am a BIG fan of Sennheiser products. I've sold most of my gear but kept all Sennheiser headphones.
There is no need to include 50 tips. What I am trying to say is that the new silicon tips that comes with IE600 are very cheap quality, I feel that I can rip them off by just pulling them out of my ears. The silicon tips from IE800 were just perfect fit and quality. The IE600 foam tips are excellent.

I still think that IE600 is absolutely must have IEM in my collection and I would love to try IE900 one day.
Probably good that the tips are crap because otherwise we wouldn't experiment & find out how much the sound can improve with different types of tips. Nothing against sennheiser as I think the ie600 is a keeper for sure. No matter what the iem i will always keep trying different tips to improve or just change the sound signature depending how i feel.

May 29, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #741 of 2,225
For the stock silicon eartips problem, there is an old trick to fix it once for all that will make it work very well.
Simply treat it as the Symbio W eartips, fill in the cavity with some cheap unused memory foam tip, you are good to go.

May 30, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #742 of 2,225
I want an IE600 so bad but probably won't be able to afford one until later this year. Also looking at the Variations but the IE600 is probably far more comfortable which is something people tend to overlook when shopping for IEMs.

Anyone know what are the best aftermarket tips for the IE600? Mark from Super Reviews said the stock tips are duds.

May 30, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #743 of 2,225
I want an IE600 so bad but probably won't be able to afford one until later this year. Also looking at the Variations but the IE600 is probably far more comfortable which is something people tend to overlook when shopping for IEMs.

Anyone know what are the best aftermarket tips for the IE600? Mark from Super Reviews said the stock tips are duds.
Here you have some comparison to Variations (don't know if this guy is reliable):
Also, there was whole discussion about the tips. Go through last pages of this thread.

May 30, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #745 of 2,225
May 30, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #746 of 2,225

I'm using AZLA SednaEarfit Light Short, very comfortable, the fit is way better than stock

May 31, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #748 of 2,225
On the search for an IE upgrade I first tried the Shure Aonic 5. Sadly it somehow lacked everything. Strange focused mids (which kinda annoyed me in many e.g. rock songs), no treble and like non-existent bass. Nearly every audio gear I owned is V-/U-Shaped so I quickly returned the Aonic 5 and started to search again for a better fit.

I have to admit that I am not that interested in ChiFi. Had two InEars in the past and only had Quality Problems. Returning, repairs, ... are a pain in the ass. And I hate the feeling to throw away perfectly fine gear just because some shell broke. And somehow I stumbled onto the IE600. Way out of my (target) budget. But seemed like everything fits. Produced in europe, U-Shaped with some extended bass-range, small form-factor, ... So i bit the bullet.

And I am so glad I did! What a nice little monster! Really a great InEar! Since many people already wrote about the InEar I am gonna make it quick:

• Okayish/Good soundstage. I don't expect more from an IE. Maybe BA-InEars provide a better Soundstage. But I really disliked the crossover problems of multiple InEars Drivers so I didn't listen that much BA InEars.
  • Extended Sub-Bass: Really love the punch. Another strength of the DD. Probably not for everyone, but if you prefer bass they do provide. Without 'overdriving' anything. Myself would enjoy some itsy-bitsy more non-sub bass. But that is easily achievable via EQ.
  • Midrange is nearly on point. Great job on the tuning. Don't sound muddy at all for me.
  • Treble is for sure focused but not something extreme. But I have to note that I also like the Beyerdynamic sound. Treble hits different for different people. But I would guess that the IE600 is fine for everybody except super sensitive people. Listening to them for hours is no problem. And they provide the kind of detail I try to find in InEars or Headphones.
  • Love the idea of "long lasting". They look great and the shell is really something else. But it kinda hurts your soul every time both headphones swing together and make a metal-clacking sound. I hope the used material is sturdy as the described it! Also hope that the Ear Canal is not the weak point. Compared to the IE900 it's sadly made out of plastic and it would be a shame when it snaps in 10 years.
  • Some described the sound isolation as "Top notch even with vent". Sadly that's not my experience. Dunno If my comparison is unfair, but for example Shure InEars with the long Comply Foams are Top Notch for me. The IE600 doesn't enter the ear canal that much and with especially with Silicon tips I can hear many outside sounds. Working in an office with people talking around you already wasn't that pleasing. No way I would like to use them on a plane. For example with silicon tips I can hear mouse clicks from the desk next to me when no music plays. When music is on everything is blocked out. So they are fine but not top notch.
  • I hoped for an Out-of-the-box experience. Especially with when the IE go with a 700 Euro price tag. Sadly that did not happen: The silicon tips are super smooth and thin. Had a hard time to find a find a fit. Even tried the large ones (more a M guy) which kinda worked better. But even they didn't provide really a snug fit. The typical "Old foam tip inside silicon tip"-trick could probably help but didn't try it. The provided silicon tips are rather short and don't have much room for expansion. They provided a kind of better seal but put pressure on my ear canal. So far I had the best fit with some old Spin Fits. But like mentioned earlier Silicon Tips don't provide the isolation I try to archive so I ordered Comply TS-400 and hope they will help me out.
  • Also - like many people already mentioned - the cable is rather stiff and rubbery. The first doesn't bother me that much (and probably it get's softer over time) but the latter is rather annoying. It's super microphonic for me. Even while sitting at a desk, the cable connected to the desktop DAC (so not much contact with any fabric) even the slightest head movement turns into noise. For sure when you listen to music there isn't much to notice but between tracks and in low volume phases it really bugs me.
The last point is also rather annoying since they didn't use the default MMCX connectors. I am really not into the cable game as long as they have a good build quality there isn't any kind of sound difference for me (and I don't want to start that topic now). So I didn't plan to buy a 3rd party cable as long the 1st one doesn't break. Finding a "Sennheiser MMCX" cable in europe is nearly not possible. So off to AliExpress. Digging through endless pages of trash (or cables priced way out of my target budget) I still didn't order any cable. Finding "IE300/600/900" cables with the search is really cumbersome. Ordering a MMCX Adapter on top of the cable adds another 40 bucks (but I mainly dislike the looks of the adapter). And when I did find a fitting cable, it had these super big and (in my opinion) ugly connectors/splitters.

Hope I will find a fitting replacement in the future. Otherwise I am really glad that I did order the IE600 and wish every other owner also much fun with these little monsters!

May 31, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #749 of 2,225
On the search for an IE upgrade I first tried the Shure Aonic 5. Sadly it somehow lacked everything. Strange focused mids (which kinda annoyed me in many e.g. rock songs), no treble and like non-existent bass. Nearly every audio gear I owned is V-/U-Shaped so I quickly returned the Aonic 5 and started to search again for a better fit.

I have to admit that I am not that interested in ChiFi. Had two InEars in the past and only had Quality Problems. Returning, repairs, ... are a pain in the ass. And I hate the feeling to throw away perfectly fine gear just because some shell broke. And somehow I stumbled onto the IE600. Way out of my (target) budget. But seemed like everything fits. Produced in europe, U-Shaped with some extended bass-range, small form-factor, ... So i bit the bullet.

And I am so glad I did! What a nice little monster! Really a great InEar! Since many people already wrote about the InEar I am gonna make it quick:

• Okayish/Good soundstage. I don't expect more from an IE. Maybe BA-InEars provide a better Soundstage. But I really disliked the crossover problems of multiple InEars Drivers so I didn't listen that much BA InEars.
  • Extended Sub-Bass: Really love the punch. Another strength of the DD. Probably not for everyone, but if you prefer bass they do provide. Without 'overdriving' anything. Myself would enjoy some itsy-bitsy more non-sub bass. But that is easily achievable via EQ.
  • Midrange is nearly on point. Great job on the tuning. Don't sound muddy at all for me.
  • Treble is for sure focused but not something extreme. But I have to note that I also like the Beyerdynamic sound. Treble hits different for different people. But I would guess that the IE600 is fine for everybody except super sensitive people. Listening to them for hours is no problem. And they provide the kind of detail I try to find in InEars or Headphones.
  • Love the idea of "long lasting". They look great and the shell is really something else. But it kinda hurts your soul every time both headphones swing together and make a metal-clacking sound. I hope the used material is sturdy as the described it! Also hope that the Ear Canal is not the weak point. Compared to the IE900 it's sadly made out of plastic and it would be a shame when it snaps in 10 years.
  • Some described the sound isolation as "Top notch even with vent". Sadly that's not my experience. Dunno If my comparison is unfair, but for example Shure InEars with the long Comply Foams are Top Notch for me. The IE600 doesn't enter the ear canal that much and with especially with Silicon tips I can hear many outside sounds. Working in an office with people talking around you already wasn't that pleasing. No way I would like to use them on a plane. For example with silicon tips I can hear mouse clicks from the desk next to me when no music plays. When music is on everything is blocked out. So they are fine but not top notch.
  • I hoped for an Out-of-the-box experience. Especially with when the IE go with a 700 Euro price tag. Sadly that did not happen: The silicon tips are super smooth and thin. Had a hard time to find a find a fit. Even tried the large ones (more a M guy) which kinda worked better. But even they didn't provide really a snug fit. The typical "Old foam tip inside silicon tip"-trick could probably help but didn't try it. The provided silicon tips are rather short and don't have much room for expansion. They provided a kind of better seal but put pressure on my ear canal. So far I had the best fit with some old Spin Fits. But like mentioned earlier Silicon Tips don't provide the isolation I try to archive so I ordered Comply TS-400 and hope they will help me out.
  • Also - like many people already mentioned - the cable is rather stiff and rubbery. The first doesn't bother me that much (and probably it get's softer over time) but the latter is rather annoying. It's super microphonic for me. Even while sitting at a desk, the cable connected to the desktop DAC (so not much contact with any fabric) even the slightest head movement turns into noise. For sure when you listen to music there isn't much to notice but between tracks and in low volume phases it really bugs me.
The last point is also rather annoying since they didn't use the default MMCX connectors. I am really not into the cable game as long as they have a good build quality there isn't any kind of sound difference for me (and I don't want to start that topic now). So I didn't plan to buy a 3rd party cable as long the 1st one doesn't break. Finding a "Sennheiser MMCX" cable in europe is nearly not possible. So off to AliExpress. Digging through endless pages of trash (or cables priced way out of my target budget) I still didn't order any cable. Finding "IE300/600/900" cables with the search is really cumbersome. Ordering a MMCX Adapter on top of the cable adds another 40 bucks (but I mainly dislike the looks of the adapter). And when I did find a fitting cable, it had these super big and (in my opinion) ugly connectors/splitters.

Hope I will find a fitting replacement in the future. Otherwise I am really glad that I did order the IE600 and wish every other owner also much fun with these little monsters!
I agree about the isolation not being the best compared to my shure se846s but I only listen to the ie600 inside.
As for the ie600 sound impressions you have they will only get better as the ie600 burns in, mine sounds better already after 100hours & im told they improve up to 400+hours.

May 31, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #750 of 2,225
I've been making a list as I read the thread over the past week or so for me to purchase some once I'm done with the stock tips:
  • Spinfit CP240
  • Spinfit CP100
  • Spiral Dot++
  • Xelastec
  • azla sedna
  • azla crystal
  • Final Audio Type E
  • Comply TSX-400
  • Sennheiser IE Pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back