Exceptional in Every Detail: Say Hello to the IE 600
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #2,176 of 2,220
Yes I generally find that I use larger tips on shorter nozzles and smaller tips on longer nozzles, but a longer tip will go deeper into my ear and help an insecurely fitting earphone. The shell of the IE 600 is barely touching my pinna, the bent back part stands proud of my concha, so it's effectively a bullet-style, which is what the Type E tips are designed for.
The acoustic space being driven terminates at the eardrum, it's the length of your ear canal that is significant, not the eartip. Sennheiser doesn't know the length or volume of my ear canal or yours, so there is a limit to how finely tuned an IEM can be.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #2,177 of 2,220
Penon Liqueur XL tips to get a good seal with short nozzles, Effect Audio Cadmus cable because I like the look of it and handles better than the stock cable.

No thin sound or lack of bass here !

IMG_0297.jpeg

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #2,178 of 2,220
Penon Liqueur XL tips to get a good seal with short nozzles, Effect Audio Cadmus cable because I like the look of it and handles better than the stock cable.

No thin sound or lack of bass here !

IMG_0297.jpeg
Yes, I also ordered these in XL. Hope they arrive next week. I've tried a lot of them but somehow I haven't found the perfect ones yet.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #2,179 of 2,220
I find the fit of the ie600s to be weird. It's like their nozzle is so short that I really need to push them into my ear to feel they are sealed properly.
Yes I realize now the same when you commented. It was strange to me from the first listen, but as everything was totally new to me regarding IE600 fit, I noticed only that they don’t stay tight in my ears, but now looking back, yes, I also think they are pretty shallow.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #2,181 of 2,220
I dont know why but I decided to try the stock silicon tips again on my ie600 and to my shock they fit me perfectly first time!

Don't know if they have aged or what haha but they seem like totally different tips now. My ear must have changed in the past year or so!

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #2,182 of 2,220
I dont know why but I decided to try the stock silicon tips again on my ie600 and to my shock they fit me perfectly first time!

Don't know if they have aged or what haha but they seem like totally different tips now. My ear must have changed in the past year or so!

Odd you should say that. I have been noticing a change in fit over time as well. More so with the IE600 and one other IEM that is shallow fitting and picky on tips. I have been wondering if our ear canals change a little with seasonal temperature changes or some such.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #2,186 of 2,220
Odd you should say that. I have been noticing a change in fit over time as well. More so with the IE600 and one other IEM that is shallow fitting and picky on tips. I have been wondering if our ear canals change a little with seasonal temperature changes or some such.
That is what I am wondering. Seems strange that they used to collapse when trying to fit and now they just fit like most other eartips.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #2,187 of 2,220
I'm clueless too, I'll just try it out. I chose black because of these data
https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

I got orange and black. I didn’t read the linked article, I will afterwards to see if it agrees with my observations or not.

Physical dimensions of both colours are the same as best I can tell and measure. The orange seems to be perhaps just a little more supple in the material with the black very slightly firmer, perhaps, very hard to judge.

Sonically I don’t hear any difference at all, I don’t know what would make them sound different if they are dimensionally the same and extremely close to the same material or in fact exactly the same material just a different colour.

I suspect they are different colours to sell more.

If you bought one colour I would not bother buying the other expecting a difference except in how they might visually match your IEM or cable.

Edit: I just read the comparison, that is nonsense, the bore size is the same on both colours. I will post a picture for anyone that might be interested. I suspect the change in sound that the reviewer attributes to each is down to expectation bias because he thinks they have different bore sizes when they do not. Yep, I just took another look at the comparison, all the usual attributes given to a wide bore tip are said to be true of the black despite that the bore sizes are the same.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #2,188 of 2,220
I can get a seal with the stock silicone tips, but I find it inconsistent. I found that if I just push the IEMs into my ears as I usually do they don't seal, I need to pull them back out slightly and then they work, but sometimes this will create a weird effect were I get a muddy boomy sound. These tips are just too flimsy to be reliable, the seal can break easily from moving my head.

I think the memory wire ear hooks are supposed to be key to keeping the IE 600 in place, and I don't really want to be bothered with tightening them around my ears every time.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #2,189 of 2,220
Orange versus black. In hand when measuring they are obviously the same internal bore diameter. If sliding them onto a taper they go exactly the same distance along. In person that is really clear but doesn’t translate to a photo well at all.

In the images the calliper was set to 4.8mm, I suspect they are both nominally 5mm bore diameter.

Looking casually at them in person the black does look bigger because of the colour, an optical illusion, dispelled when actually measured.

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #2,190 of 2,220
The alternative is to go to a bigger diameter tip that seals in the outer ear.

Given how short the IE600 nozzle are it seems that they are tuned based on a shallow fit, it would seem pretty well impossible for them to fit deep for anybody.
Actually you're right. I used medium tips on previous IEMs but prefer large with the IE600s. I hadn't thought much about it but it probably is to do with the length of the nozzle and the tip being further out of my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back