Excellent speakers/not-so-good amp? Or excellent amp/not-so-good speakers?
Oct 29, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of DIY, there's no easier speaker to build than an open baffle from plywood. $290 for the amazing Silver Iris 15" coaxials (made by Eminence), and you have a really stunning pair of homemade speakers. Put a 10 watt tube amp on them, sit back and enjoy. Many smiles here.

Agreed
wink.gif

Get a yarland fv34CIII el84 tube amplifier from timaudio and some Hawthorne SI's. Very nice setup for <700dlrs.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #47 of 54
P/S 1500 is the model Pre.

Used obviously.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed
wink.gif

Get a yarland fv34CIII el84 tube amplifier from timaudio and some Hawthorne SI's. Very nice setup for <700dlrs.

Or in my case, a used Sophia 'Baby' amp. They come up on Audiogon regularly for $375-400. Mine is 220V and was $375 CDN including 2 WE 396A's and a step-down transformer. I love this amp.

I've owned speaker-based systems worth upwards of $12K at used prices, and I'm honestly shocked at how good the SI's perform - especially considering my lousy wood skills and lack of tools. I do use a sub, so the amp/spkr combo runs more like $1K in my case.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #49 of 54
I used an NAD c352 amp for a few years with a couple of different speakers - wharfedale diamond 9.5's and Kef q15.2 bookshelves. With the NAD amp, everything sounded a little flat and dull. It never quite sounded 'right'. Instead of changing speakers, I got my hands on a nice french amplifier (atoll in100). Wow, it makes everything sound awesome through both speakers. The sound is much more musical and dynamic. Also, the tone of the instruments and the articulation of attack is soooo much better. I find myself now quite content, and I know that if I ever want to upgrade, it'll be the speakers. If you have a not so good amp, upgrade it before you upgrade the speakers. Source - amp- speakers.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #50 of 54
Yeah. I am getting a pair of Monoblock amps late next month.

Discrete 1970's style transistor circuity. Designed to be placed next to or behind your speakers. Can daisy chain the RCA cable to drive a sub or two, or for bi-amping. Has a small volume control (input gain sensitivity control) to perfectly integrate with the system. A smart power supply that relays off if there is a chance a malfunction will cook your speakers.

I love Paul at Tube Audio Design. He does old school quality at a great price. The only other piece I have ever bought new was Ori's V4 Zhalou. These amps look like a Hibachi grill so Paul calls them that lol.

Warning! This link has music on it so turn it down first on your side.
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open..._playback_link

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An average amp can make decent speakers sing; the opposite is not true.

I agree. I drive a pair of PSB Stratus Minis with a T-Amp. I realize that I only get away with this because the system is in a small room, but the sound is remarkable. I got the T-Amp on a lark, and it absolutely shredded the $500 integrated that I had been using.

Do I think that the T-Amp drives the Stratus Minis to their potential? Of course not. Am I happy with the combination until I can afford an amp that will truly compliment the Stratus Minis? Absolutely.

P.S. All bets are off it you use the T-Amp with inefficient speakers and expect high volume. Not gonna work. The SMs are 87 dB 1 watt/1meter into 4 Ohms. As long as I keep the volume low-to-moderate, they sing just fine.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #52 of 54
The T-amp and the various modified versions are great. Is there a version which is Mono? One for each speaker? It might be a cost effective way to drive monitors. The SS monoblocks I am looking at are 150 watts per and my speakers are 87db.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #53 of 54
Oct 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T-amp and the various modified versions are great. Is there a version which is Mono? One for each speaker? It might be a cost effective way to drive monitors. The SS monoblocks I am looking at are 150 watts per and my speakers are 87db.

Yeah, it seems that Tripath has started a cottage industry with their little chip! I have been eyeballing the Trends Audio in particular. Reviews have been great, but it still puts out only 15 watts peak (5 watts clean, realistically) like the original T-Amp. The more powerful versions of the chip tend to show up in amps that are frankly out of my price range right now.

I haven't seen a monoblock T-Amp, but that doesn't mean such a beast doesn't exist. Would be a great thing. Have you thought about bi-amping with two stereo units? Keep in mind that even if you bi-amp with the 15 watt amps, you still are going to be pretty limited in the volume levels that you will be able to get without distortion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have released the Gen 2 T Amp I think it looks much nicer than the original.

I don't know that Audio source is super high caliber but AudioSource AMP 5.1A Monoblock Amplifier

I think the AudioSource you linked to is actually not based on the Tripath Class-T chip. The only AudioSource that I've seen which appears to definately be Class-T is here.

There a good pic of the Gen2's guts and some additional information about the Gen2 in this recent thread.

Overall, I have to say the T-Amp is the best $40 I have ever spent on audio. Where I live, 40 bucks buys you a couple beers and some chicken fingers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back