Excellent speakers/not-so-good amp? Or excellent amp/not-so-good speakers?
Oct 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

SCOTTBALL

Head-Fier
What would be better? As in, what setup would give better sound until you are able to upgrade the not-so-good area?

Or maybe even average speakers/average amp?

assuming cables are not a factor and there is a set budget.

what would you do? Whats best?

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 54
depends on the budget doesn't it? how bout you tell us the amount of $$ an we tell you a couple of good setups?

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 54
what's your price range?

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 54
Speaker above all else. Do your research and forget about price. Actually listen to them with your music and find something that makes you smile from ear to ear within your price range. I go to my local hi-fi shop weekly and am amazed at the sound some smaller speakers can put out. There are a lot of great amps out there USED. Have fun and take your time.

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 54
As long as an amp has enough power to push your speakers it should be fine. Spend the money on the speakers. That's the part of your system that makes the biggest difference.

See ya
Steve

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as an amp has enough power to push your speakers it should be fine. Spend the money on the speakers. That's the part of your system that makes the biggest difference.

See ya
Steve

x2

And when you eventually change upstream components, the speakers will scale accordingly.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See ya
Steve

While speakers are important I wouldn't cheap out on the amp. I suggest finding an Old Sansui Integrated amplifier. The AU-517/717/819/919 are all great units extremely low distortion ratings clean clean power, will do any audiophile speakers justice and they can be found relatively cheap on ebay and craigslist. Or if you are really lucky you may find a rare AU-X1 somewhere drool my dream power house. But it really depends on how much you want to spend in total if you have another $400-600 left you may be able to get a nice pair of used or sale B&W's.

Oct 27, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 54
I went the other way around great amp/ok speaker and couldn't have done it better. YMMV wrt price

Example:
excellent amp = $20k monoblock
no-so-good speaker = $2k speaker

by all means do that! OTOH, $20k speaker with $2k amp is just painful to listen to.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went the other way around great amp/ok speaker and couldn't have done it better. YMMV wrt price

Example:
excellent amp = $20k monoblock
no-so-good speaker = $2k speaker

by all means do that! OTOH, $20k speaker with $2k amp is just painful to listen to.

You have a mighty odd definition of pain.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a mighty odd definition of pain.

I was thinking the same thing. For the record I just auditioned the new B&W natilus 800 series $20,000 speakers on a $4000 Amp and cd player and they sounded very nice. Although I hate sales people who assume everyone likes unknown jazz music. I asked if he had Clapton Unplugged and he looked at me like I was dumb. Signe is my reference song for all things audio.

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by gritzcolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking the same thing. For the record I just auditioned the new B&W natilus 800 series $20,000 speakers on a $4000 Amp and cd player and they sounded very nice. Although I hate sales people who assume everyone likes unknown jazz music. I asked if he had Clapton Unplugged and he looked at me like I was dumb. Signe is my reference song for all things audio.

I always bring my uncensored NWA cd when I audition. They really love it. Just wait until they get a phone call then slip it in and CRANK IT UP!!!

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always bring my uncensored NWA cd when I audition. They really love it. Just wait until they get a phone call then slip it in and CRANK IT UP!!!

I wonder if their reaction would be worse then jpop, which almost got a friend of mine kicked out of a store
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back