Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal.
Dec 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #181 of 439
I'll try asking, I want to make an in-depth review but I also don't want it to be too inaccessibly techie... I'll probably find the data, and after I say it I'll just repeat what I'm about to tell you: with my 150 ohm Sennheiser HD700, and my more current-hungry and widely considered picky 62 ohm AKG K712 headphones, I don't hear the flubby bass and brittle treble that identify for me when an amp has insufficient current output, and my volume setting (voltage/gain) is less than half with the HD700 so it has plenty of that spec too. As a digital stepped volume control, there are no channel imbalances at low volumes, though I'll dig out my IEMs (Etymotic ER•6i) and verify that and the current draw.

Yeah, I was more thinking about my HE-560 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #183 of 439
Awaiting your impressions :D  Mine is on the way.
A comparison to other, lesser DSPs SB Recon3D USB would be awesome :]

Oh, and why do we have so many cables?! Do they all serve different purposes?

You know... they could have just gave a multi-adapter instead of 7 different power cables and not including a simple optical cable. I mean, the ZxR had a optical cable...

So, part of why I get to contact Creative is when I chatted with the sales team (the website's chat) asking about release dates and yadda yadda because I wanted to write a big fat review (and my writing background), the X7 I got is a review package model, and so "I" got all the extra power cables, but standard retail boxes will have just the local power cable and an optical cable.

Evshrugs taking his time perfecting his review so he can get himself a little number on Headphone.Guru!

What — do they pay?
Mostly doing it because I wanted one, I've used most of the other console DSP options, and I want to make DSP reviews to compliment Mad's headphone reviews. A lot of people have questions about how to set them up, having a post to illustrate that which we can point to will be a nice resource.

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #185 of 439
Yeah, I was more thinking about my HE-560 :D

Now, I've already seen some ways in which the X7's amp section improves on the E9, but did the E9 have enough power for the HE560? You also could modify the headphone cables to connect to the speaker taps, like some people are doing with home theater receivers now.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #186 of 439
Now, I've already seen some ways in which the X7's amp section improves on the E9, but did the E9 have enough power for the HE560? You also could modify the headphone cables to connect to the speaker taps, like some people are doing with home theater receivers now.

Yeah, I could use speaker taps. Used them in the past. But I already have a powerful headphone amp [SA31SE] that works great with them. Since they're all on the same desk, I'll just use an RCA interconnect to hook them up utilizing only the 1794 DAC [but I'll compare that to my desktop ES9018, but I wouldn't be surprised if the X7's DAC won here - the optical input is not the best input of the bunch on my DAC + The 1794 should be more musical, but we'll see].
In terms of what I am really looking forward to, the improvement in T-H-E gaming experience is certainly on top 
biggrin.gif

Should have the X7 by Mon/Tue 
popcorn.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #187 of 439
Alright I literally just read every post in this thread start to finish, as I am currently jumping into the deep end of proper audio equipment.

I have a few questions that I also posted in Mad's thread 

I have decided on getting a set of AKG K712s for competitive gaming. For casual gaming and media watching I am still on the fence what I want to purchase.

I have a PS4 and an Xbox One and an Ear Force DSS (this is the correct model I have) and would like to be able to jump from either system as seamless as possible without having to reconnect my headphone setup.

Is the Ear Force DSS worthy of keeping or should I seek out something different?
Would the X7 be the best set up (I don't necessarily like the cost but if it is the way to go then so be it?)
Is there a better solution to allow for expansion into a proper home theater setup?

Thank you a ton!

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #188 of 439
Alright I literally just read every post in this thread start to finish, as I am currently jumping into the deep end of proper audio equipment.

I have a few questions that I also posted in Mad's thread 

I have decided on getting a set of AKG K712s for competitive gaming.

What, these?

Dude! They're awesome! Yeah for media and casual games too!

The DSS is a huge value. The volume/voltage is more than enough, though it doesn't have the current and clean smoothness of the X7 it's still the unit that least needs an extra amp (the K712 is also more forgiving of hot treble in this regard than the Q701). If you have a DSS now, well the X7 isn't a limited time deal, and your ears & brain literally take time to train what you get from higher-end gear. I'd call the X7 a level 2 (or final boss, on hard mode with the extended ending, but maybe not the final boss on nightmare mode with the same ending as hard mode, if you understand the metaphor) gear, unless you need the convenience features, you don't have to jump into the X7 right away to have a great gaming experience. At this price point, and if your two consoles are right next to eachother, I'd say leave the USB plugged into the PS4 and just switch which console the optical cable is plugged in.

Now, the thing about the X7 and DSS is that it only comes with one built-in optical port. No big deal if you don't care about surround for one of the consoles (there is so much game overlap for the two current gen consoles!), you can use a cheap optical-to-stereo-RCA DAC like FiiO's D03k or D5 and plug into the RCA line-in of the X7. If you want surround, optical connection for both, you might consider getting an optical switcher so you can leave both consoles plugged in.

Another option, near the same price but not as great for headphones in amping or headphone surround DSP, is a home theater receiver. Multiple HDMI inputs, remote, usually amping for 5.1 or 7.1 passive speaker setup, this would be a good choice if you have the space and intend to use speakers more than headphones. Like, you have a house rather than dorm, apartment, or condo. If that's your plan like 5 years down the road, well, by then receiver tech will have lots more doo-dads and functions. I live in a pretty decent-sized condo with three floors, and I have the receiver dedicated in the basement... and I almost never use it. YMMV.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #189 of 439
I love my 712 pros. People say casual gaming, what would be better than these bad boys for more serious gaming? These 712 pros already increased my k/d ratio tremendously. If somethibg is even better please tell me because I wanna try them. If love to compare the differences.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #190 of 439
I wonder, do the op-amps in the X7 affect the DAC section in any way, or only the amp section?

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #191 of 439
Evshrug,

While I've been following any information available regarding the X7 since its announcement, there is a question I can't seem to find the answer to, and was wondering if you could (or perhaps already had a chance to) test out if there is specifically USB mic functionality with the X7. I know you had some issues with getting the mic to work with the PS4 as mentioned earlier. Needless to say, there is no rush on this query. From your posts, I understand you have a Blue Snowball mic that you use with your PS4. Do you still have to connect your mic directly to the console's USB and use the X7 for everything else? I only ask since I have a Blue Yeti, and thought it would be nice to use via the X7 and be able to control all audio in real time via the app (and perhaps use some of the mic features/effects as well). I'm assuming that it doesn't work the way I was wanting though, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Especially since it's literally one of the very last things I wanted to find out prior to pulling the trigger on one.

As someone that mostly spends time on forums reading (as opposed to posting) wanted to say I enjoy reading your posts. Generally even-keeled, and informative in nature, I've found them helpful during my continual learning process. Anyway, thank you in advance for your input, and I look forward to your review.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #192 of 439
^ad idem,
Wow, thanks! I'd say that "generally" is a fair qualification (shrugging things off is my ideal, not necessary automatic every day), and the compliments you gave me in recoignition for what I try to do (help) makes me feel good to my core, a genuine thank you.

I was trying that mic setup and hoping that creative will add support, so far it seems like a no-go based on how the PS4 "sees" the X7. Bleh. So plug your Blue Microphone straight into the PS4, you'll be able to set your mic gain once and forget it, and control all the other audio from the X7. Creative know's we'd like this feature, and I suggested that when/if Sony adds support for Generic Bluetooth headsets like the PS3 did, perhaps the X7 could add mic support that way and Mixer together the audio... Should be physically possible with current hardware, but for now the X7 mic is for Bluetooth and PC (Mac/Win) only.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #193 of 439
Evshrug, is there any hint that the X7 will support Dolby Atmos?

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #194 of 439
The device doesn't even support HDMI (no True HD via optical).

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #195 of 439
I wonder, is the bluetooth always on on the X7 or can you choose to turn it off independently? Cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back