Evshrug's "If I knew then what I know now" discussion journal.
Dec 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #196 of 439
^ad idem,
Wow, thanks! I'd say that "generally" is a fair qualification (shrugging things off is my ideal, not necessary automatic every day), and the compliments you gave me in recoignition for what I try to do (help) makes me feel good to my core, a genuine thank you.

I was trying that mic setup and hoping that creative will add support, so far it seems like a no-go based on how the PS4 "sees" the X7. Bleh. So plug your Blue Microphone straight into the PS4, you'll be able to set your mic gain once and forget it, and control all the other audio from the X7. Creative know's we'd like this feature, and I suggested that when/if Sony adds support for Generic Bluetooth headsets like the PS3 did, perhaps the X7 could add mic support that way and Mixer together the audio... Should be physically possible with current hardware, but for now the X7 mic is for Bluetooth and PC (Mac/Win) only.

You're most welcome, and I'm glad it brightened your mood :). I'm sure it can be taxing at times to try and help on forums (people not reading nor using search functions etc.). And also thank you for addressing my question. It's rather a shame that it doesn't work, since it would be pretty nice if the X7 literally could be the control unit for all my audio devices. But I guess it's not the end of the world using the analog mic jack on the front in lieu of USB connections. I mean that is if I really want to use a different mic just to have all audio control under the X7. But I must admit, that is a big allure for me, and goes a long way in justifying the purchase. Reduce clutter, retain/increase audio quality, centralize control to one location.

Also does this statement here: "...for now the X7 mic is for Bluetooth and PC (Mac/Win) only." mean you did get a chance to go further into the mixer panel and unmute things to find out that it (mic-in and beamforming options) doesn't work with your console? Because if so, me mentioning the backup plan of using the front mic jack becomes nonviable. Which in turn makes me a sad panda.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #197 of 439
I really need to finish the review, I answer a lot of those questions in what I've writ so far...

The X7 supports Dolby Digital Live surround encoding and LPCM on optical, two simultaneous Bluetooth connections, a line in, a mic-in, and uncompressed USB input for PC (Mac and Windows), and a second usb input for USB Host Mode for iOS7+ devices and android devices that support OTG connection. With the PC control panel or the mobile app, you can mute or mix the volume from any connected source.

The X7 currently can only connect to consoles with the optical or analog line-in inputs, no microphone support because of how the consoles recoignize USB Devices. As I said above, I'm hoping Sony changes Bluetooth things because that would make a mic connection easy, theoretically.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #198 of 439
I really need to finish the review, I answer a lot of those questions in what I've writ so far...

The X7 supports Dolby Digital Live surround encoding and LPCM on optical, two simultaneous Bluetooth connections, a line in, a mic-in, and uncompressed USB input for PC (Mac and Windows), and a second usb input for USB Host Mode for iOS7+ devices and android devices that support OTG connection. With the PC control panel or the mobile app, you can mute or mix the volume from any connected source.

The X7 currently can only connect to consoles with the optical or analog line-in inputs, no microphone support because of how the consoles recoignize USB Devices. As I said above, I'm hoping Sony changes Bluetooth things because that would make a mic connection easy, theoretically.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be totally content with a yes or no to my previous question 
biggrin.gif

Pretty pleeeeeeeease 
biggrin.gif

Here a repost - 'I wonder, is the bluetooth always on on the X7 or can you choose to turn it off independently [when X7 is running]? Cheers 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
'

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #199 of 439
I was almost going to mention being sorry for potentially taking time away from the review with my additional questions in my previous post, but opted not to, to avoid coming across too preemptively apologetic ha ha. Oh the irony :frowning2:.

I very much appreciate the clarifications on your part. And I hope you get a chance to relax a bit and enjoy your holiday in spite of putting together this review (as well as other social obligations given the season). I'm sure it can't be easy considering those on the hype train for this device chomping at the bit to get more info from a credible source, like starved hyenas eying a fresh carcass. Also, here's to hoping Sony does actually make my audio dreams a reality in future firmware updates.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #200 of 439

I'll be totally content with a yes or no to my previous question :D
Pretty pleeeeeeeease :D
Here a repost - 'I wonder, is the bluetooth always on on the X7 or can you choose to turn it off independently [when X7 is running]? Cheers :)
Thank you :) '

Paragraph 2 was all about you baby!
TL;DR
I think the X7 always has Bluetooth on, but Bluetooth inputs are one of the things you can mute in the Mixer panel.

I was almost going to mention being sorry for potentially taking time away from the review with my additional questions in my previous post, but opted not to, to avoid coming across too preemptively apologetic ha ha. Oh the irony :frowning2:.

I very much appreciate the clarifications on your part. And I hope you get a chance to relax a bit and enjoy your holiday in spite of putting together this review (as well as other social obligations given the season). I'm sure it can't be easy considering those on the hype train for this device chomping at the bit to get more info from a credible source, like starved hyenas eying a fresh carcass. Also, here's to hoping Sony does actually make my audio dreams a reality in future firmware updates.

No Prob, I just wrote these replies during the 15 minute break at work, so it didn't take away from review time. I'm really excited people are excited to read!

Edit: I wrote that when I got home from work (tech support @ a retail support), now I'm in bed hoping to shut off my brain quickly so that I can write in the morning before work @ noon.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #201 of 439
X7 is waiting for me at home. Big thanks to Fegefeuer/Arif for acting as a proxy! Really appreciate it.
The DI-V2014 is arriving later today too.
A great day today :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #203 of 439
  Evshrug,

While I've been following any information available regarding the X7 since its announcement, there is a question I can't seem to find the answer to, and was wondering if you could (or perhaps already had a chance to) test out if there is specifically USB mic functionality with the X7. I know you had some issues with getting the mic to work with the PS4 as mentioned earlier. Needless to say, there is no rush on this query. From your posts, I understand you have a Blue Snowball mic that you use with your PS4. Do you still have to connect your mic directly to the console's USB and use the X7 for everything else? I only ask since I have a Blue Yeti, and thought it would be nice to use via the X7 and be able to control all audio in real time via the app (and perhaps use some of the mic features/effects as well). I'm assuming that it doesn't work the way I was wanting though, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Especially since it's literally one of the very last things I wanted to find out prior to pulling the trigger on one.

As someone that mostly spends time on forums reading (as opposed to posting) wanted to say I enjoy reading your posts. Generally even-keeled, and informative in nature, I've found them helpful during my continual learning process. Anyway, thank you in advance for your input, and I look forward to your review.

ad idem,

This is just speculation, but I don't think you would be able to use your Blue Yeti with the PS4 anyways. Due to the audio monitoring (headphone out) port, it will see the device as a microphone and audio output device and send all the chat / party audio through that.

You could always run the Blue Yeti's headphone monitoring port into the aux in on a Astro Mixamp or DSS2 if you wanted to add the audio back into the mix. I am not sure if this is possible for the X7 though. I actually have the Yeti and use this for my PC twitch casting. If I get a chance, I will test out the Yeti on the PS4 and attempt to confirm my suspicions.

It is truly a shame to hear that the microphone in on the X7 isn't working on the PS4. Considering they are advertising it for use with consoles, I would think they would fix this via a firmware update or something.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #204 of 439
I've briefly set everything up just to test whether everything works fine.
The BT app is a great touch.
I was expecting a bit more voltage from the line out though, it is about on par [in terms of volumeXvolume] when I used the Recon3D USB - HP out @about -2 from max. volume, into the same amplifier.
Just FYI, I'll test the SQ later [and compare the 1794 DAC to an external ES9018 one]

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #207 of 439
Any recommendations for the op-amps?
smily_headphones1.gif

I always felt that the stock op-amps were a little too bloaty in the bass (a reason why the ZxR was never a great match with many warm headphones out of the box). I switched to LME49720HA and LME49710HA. Also messed around with MUSE01 but didn't exactly like it much either. I saw a thread long ago that a user was using MUSE02 in the I/V and something else as the buffer though I don't remember what they were.

But the LME49720 and 49710 did tighten the bloaty bass up noticeably, not significantly of course. But it's enough for what I wanted as I do hook my ZxR up to a pair of Swans M50w.

Also, since the X7 only allows access to the op-amps without voiding warranty, there's no other way to actually switch out the DIPs for further tweaking. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #209 of 439
Hey Evs,
Do you run the X7 at 69% Surround [SBX]?
Hope you had a great Eve :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #210 of 439
Ev had a great Eve, I saw what you did there! After a GF family dinner party, I stole time writing till 5 am to figure out what I wanted to say in the X7 review.

I think it's down to personal choice... I "calibrated" my brain with 67%, but I turned it up to 88% and it's easier to hear the surround directions for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back