EVGA Nu Audio soundcard
Mar 27, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #241 of 259
Hello
i have some problems with Burson V6 classics in Evga Nu Audio and now Nu audio pro.In short my theory from my experience is that putting a V6 classic in rca socket damages the headphone circuitry.
On both cards it exhibited the same symptoms.When i had the Evga Nu audio non-pro version i put v6 classics in both sockets (headphone output and rca output) and worked fine for a week.One day when i opened the PC even before entering in windows i hear hissing, cracks and pops in headphones (Audio technica Ath ad2000x). I realized that something was not ok.Listening to music through headphones i realized that the right channel is broken.The card sends a powerfull hiss and cracks and no music.The left channel from the headphones played fine.I begin to test further by putting v5i in the headphone socket.I realized that the right channel on the headphones is playing BUT is very low volume and very bad sound quality.I tried to compensate the volume for the right channel from inside Nu audio and i realized that the sound quality is bad. even if the volume are balanced.
I got a Nu Audio Pro and i didn't have enough dip 8 sockets to use with V6 classics.The card have capacitors very near dip 8 sockets.I installed a v5i in the rca output and V6 classic in headphone output on top of two dip 8 sockets.This combination worked nice for weeks.I ordered more dip 8 sockets so install a V6 in the rca channel.They took a while to arrive.After they came i installed the V6 classic in the rca output too.After a couple of days the headphones begun to crack and pop and hissing.The same issue exhibitted with the Nu Audio.I put the V5i in the headphone socket and the same problem the right headphone channel begun have a low volume and got broken again.Same symptoms.
I made some opamp swaps.Because i knew that all was working fine with v5i in rca socket and v6 classics in headphone socket i put back the v5i in the rca socket to see what will happen.I realized that with v5i in the rca socket the headphone channel had no pops and cracks and hissing.The right channel was still bad but without hissing and stuff.
I put back the v6 classic in the rca socket and it begun get hissings, cracks and pops from the right headphone channel again.I am sure i put the correct polarity was fine all the time.
I want to use both outputs. :frowning2:
Anyone had this experience ?

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #243 of 259
Thx for the advice.I want to know what happened that that the headphone outputs got damaged on two cards and also i realized that two pair of audio technica has the right channels damaged and i have to throw them to garbage.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #244 of 259
Have you posted this in the EVGA Sound card forums? I own the same card (And external DACS) but never experimented with swapping out the Op Amps.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #247 of 259
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #248 of 259
Have you posted this in the EVGA Sound card forums? I own the same card (And external DACS) but never experimented with swapping out the Op Amps.
I haven't yet right on evga forum just yet but maybe i will.I was thinking i may want to actually send EVGA support an email but is not their fault anyway.Burson didn't respond to my mail also.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #249 of 259
I haven't yet right on evga forum just yet but maybe i will.I was thinking i may want to actually send EVGA support an email but is not their fault anyway.Burson didn't respond to my mail also.

That would have been the first place I would have posted to. They have a dedicated thread in the Sound Card forum for replacing the OP Amps with Burson parts. My guess is you may have better luck there. Good luck.

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #251 of 259
The stock line out opamp is rated for 5v while the Burson is 8-24v iirc. Line out only.
I use line out with V6 classic every day with my Onkyo a-9010 and is working perfectly.Also this guy @califmike33 said he uses V6 in his Nu audio and have no problems.Also Audio Note do officialy support v6 classsic in both outputs.It must be something else that i am missing

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #252 of 259
Hm, I had v5i-d on EVGA Nu, it was working well, now v5i-d is on Asus Strix Soar, and v6v on EVGA Nu, it doesn't pick up EVGA in windows 10 device manager, but Asus is fine with both: v5i-d or v6v, both have 6pin or sata power feed.. It was more difficult to place v6v on EVGA than on Asus, capacitors were blocking some of the path even with socket extenders on top, could it be i ruined one of the capacitors?

P.S. 05.26 update. Sucks now, it doesn't work anymore with any of the op amps, v6v, v5i-d, i killed sound card...

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #253 of 259
Here is my review on the Burson Audio V5I installed in my Evga Nu Sound Card.

The installation was straight forward and simple, the V5i just fit right into the headphone op amp area and the line out area. First thing i did was listen thru my Emotiva basx A100 and thru my Triange Borea Bro 2 speakers. I played several tracks from Blondie to the Rolling Stones and my first impressions were like wow this sounds really good, so much better than the stock op amps. So i got down to some serious listning session and im so impressed how much of a difference the Burson V5i can make. They opended up the music, the soundstage got bigger. There is a bit of magic with these Burson V5I op amps, im just so enjoying what they have done to the Evga Nu sound card and the music. Next i put in the Hd 560s headphones and was even more blown away cause i can hear much more detail, theres a little warmth to the music, its refined, very detailed.

I have to say this is end game for the Evga Nu sound card in my opiinon. The Burson V5I brings rich defined bass, bigger soundstage, smooth and warm vocals, and a sparkle to the top end. I would say the best thing about them if i had to pick one things would be clarity and detail and warm to the music, i heard this thru my amp and speakers but even more thru my Hd 560s headphones. Is there anything i dont like about them honestly i would say no, its like they are a match made in heaven for this Evga sound card.

Highly Highly recommended, i have done op amp rolling with this sound card and often you end up going back to the stock ones, not anymore the Burson V5i is a winner.

Another user of the Nu Audio(non-pro) with Burson V5i-D. I got 2 and each went into the headphone and DAC output. Greatly impressed with how the DAC sounds to my active speakers. A improvement over the stock on the DAC.

In my headphone section though, the improvement is huge. using Sennheiser 560S as well and the sound is giving me smiles every time. Full detailed with good soundstage and imaging.

May 27, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #254 of 259
Hm, I had v5i-d on EVGA Nu, it was working well, now v5i-d is on Asus Strix Soar, and v6v on EVGA Nu, it doesn't pick up EVGA in windows 10 device manager, but Asus is fine with both: v5i-d or v6v, both have 6pin or sata power feed.. It was more difficult to place v6v on EVGA than on Asus, capacitors were blocking some of the path even with socket extenders on top, could it be i ruined one of the capacitors?

P.S. 05.26 update. Sucks now, it doesn't work anymore with any of the op amps, v6v, v5i-d, i killed sound card...
Have you been aware of the polarity ? I did have Nu Audio and i pushed the v6 classics all the way to the socket without extenders.It angled the capacitors but it worked.I still recommend using extenders.By extenders i mean 2 pieces of 8 pin dip socket put one on top of each other.

May 27, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #255 of 259
Have you been aware of the polarity ? I did have Nu Audio and i pushed the v6 classics all the way to the socket without extenders.It angled the capacitors but it worked.I still recommend using extenders.By extenders i mean 2 pieces of 8 pin dip socket put one on top of each other.
What were the differences between the V5 and V6 Classics in your experience with Nu audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back