EVERYONE! What would you play at CES to show off?
Dec 30, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #31 of 57
Someone mentioned Peter Gabriel Up. He has a song on there called "Signal to Noise", that is just awesome and very appropriate seems to me. The chorus is "turn up the signal, turn down the noise!!!" Probably would go over well.

P.S. If you use one of our suggestions, we win a Wadia... right?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
And HIGHLY seconded.

Really? I'll have to try that - the original mix is really bright (and we all looked at each other when it won Best Recording that year!)

I'll second K.D. Lang.

Dec 31, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #35 of 57
Ummm (not sure of this one, maybe (big ???) not spacious enough)

"Here with Me" - Sarah Brightman, La Luna
(remake of Dido song with full orchestral backup)

This is a tough post, JefE. Eagle's "Hotel California" off the Hell Freezes Over album is going to be a tough act to follow in terms of all dynamics which make a great demo song - acceptability to the demographic, instant recognition, recording quality, performance quality, acoutics, ambient space, sound dynamics and use of acoustic instruments.

Good luck though!!

Dec 31, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #36 of 57
Good suggestions everyone for the most part. I have a lot of CD shopping to go do. But keep 'em coming. I forgot to mention that the songs have to be non-vulgar, so sorry becomethemold
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #37 of 57
FalconP,

As always, REALLY good recommendations. I'm a big fan of John Doan too and often use his "Departures" recording as a demo for people on my main system. Loreena is also just wonderful, and thats a brilliant recording. I had the pleasure of meeting her and chatting with her extensively some years ago at a "house concert" in Ontario.
Bill Douglas has been a favorite of mine since Jewel Lake appeared, I often look to his recordings for winding down late at night.
I dont know Cristina Branco though, but given your superb taste in such matters, I may well have to pick up that cd. Thanks.

JC

Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
All of the below are excellent recordings that sound rather, well, cultured

Murmurios by Cristina Branco -- just staggeringly beautiful female vocal and guitar. Would demonstrate any mid-range coloration like no one elses' business.

Book of Secrets by Loreena McKennitt -- another great vocal, this time with complex and often percussion-heavy accompaniment.

Songs of Earth and Sky by Bill Douglas and the Ars Novas Singers: replendent choral singing with woodwinds and piano.

Eire: Isle of the Saints by John Doan -- Celtic music for the "harp-guitar" and various combinations of acoustic and electronic instruments.

Songs of my People by Simon Wynberg -- Klezmer music in an intimate chamber music setting.

Jan 2, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
Good suggestions everyone for the most part. I have a lot of CD shopping to go do. But keep 'em coming. I forgot to mention that the songs have to be non-vulgar, so sorry becomethemold
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you going to list the CDs you've purchased and the songs that were used?

Jan 2, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #39 of 57
How about these CD's?

Imagine - Lennon - This was really well mastered, you an deffinitely hear Phil Spector's Wall of Sound on this One

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths - Also very well mastered. But, this borderlines on obscurity....

Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan - I doubt this needs introduction...

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles - Well, yea

Jan 2, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #41 of 57
The Verve - Urban Hymns (Album)

I seem to remember this being extremely well mastered and mixed, with the first track (Bittersweet Symphony) having an insane amount of tracks behind it as well as a really awesome strings piece at the beginning followed by an awesome punch into the body of the track.

Lucky Man was always my favourite track on the album, song and music wise, so either tracks I'd highly recommend.

Jan 2, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #42 of 57
thanks for the many suggestions. I'm off right now to locate these albums:

Peter Cincotti - self titled (my uncle's recommendation, this kid is fantastic if you're into Sinatra type stuff)

Peter Gabriel - "Up" or perhaps "Shaking the Tree"

Tool - Lateralis (I've been reading too much about this album on this board to not try it. I can't recall ever hearing a Tool song, but I guess I wouldn't know if I have or not.)

SRV & Albert King - "Sessions" (two awesome musicians, couldn't possibly be dissapointing)

Holly Cole - "Temptation"

Jan 3, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #43 of 57
One other CD worth picking up that is actually a pretty good recording, and that also has some dynamics is

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians - Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars

It has 2 of her popuar songs "What I Am" and "Circle" which sound really good, and the rest of the album is really well done. I usually grab this CD to audition audio equipment.

I can't believe I left this one out of my original post.

Jan 3, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Primus – Pork Soda

Now there's an album to blast anyone across the room! God, the bass on that album. I hadn't thought about that album for a couple years and just put on it due to Crescendopower jogging my memory. What an album. Those guys are musical geniuses.

Jan 3, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #45 of 57
Garbage- Special (from Version 2.0)
Sarah Mclachlan- Fumbling towards ecstasy (title track)
Peter Gabriel-Red Rain

I definitely recommend almost any track from Garbage's first and second albums (self titled and Version 2.0), they are excellent albums and will definitely show off your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back