EVERYONE! What would you play at CES to show off?
Dec 29, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 57
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King, "Sessions"...this album is particularly and extremely well recorded and for the blues lovers is a must, any from Mark Knopfler, or form Ian Anderson: The Secret Language of Birds, Divinities 12 Dances with God, or Rupi's Dance

Dec 30, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 57
Tower of Power - Squib Cakes. Great high hat work, horns, organ solo, punchy tight bass, lots going on. 7 minutes in length. One of my favorite tracks for testing stuff.

Dec 30, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #19 of 57
Something unbearably mainstream and poppy at very loud volumes. That should drive everybody off long enough for me to... ahem... "borrow" some of the cool new toys being shown.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #20 of 57
Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters - "Still River"

Oliver Nelson - "The Blues and the Abstract Truth"

Dave Brubeck - "Time Out"

Takacs Quartet - "Bartok: 6 String Quartets"

Trust me on these; they are what I use to audition hardware. They represent a range of magnificent music, very well performed and recorded. And they represent music that guys with dough like.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #22 of 57
Closing time....
John Zorn's Naked City
Charles Bogert's Sounds Of North American Frogs
Pat Boone's In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy

Dec 30, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #23 of 57
Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire III?

Whoops! Wrong Decade!

Might I suggest some Golden Palominos, David Sylvain, or Riuichi Sakamoto?

ok,
erix

Dec 30, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #25 of 57
1. Tori Amos - "a sorta fairytale" from Scarlet's Walk CD

2. Anything from Bjork's Vespertine CD

3. Peter Gabriel - "Growing Up" or "Sky Blue" from Up CD

4. K.D. Lang "Save Me" from Ingenue

Dec 30, 2003 at 1:28 PM Post #26 of 57
"New Favorite" -Alison Krauss and Union Station's 'Let Me Touch You For A While' SACD (probably the redbook version is also incredible, she does such an excellent job)

"Big Love" -Little Village (John Hiatt and co.) Guaranteed to make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

"Babylon Sisters" -Steely Dan's 'Gaucho'

Dec 30, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #27 of 57
All of the below are excellent recordings that sound rather, well, cultured

Murmurios by Cristina Branco -- just staggeringly beautiful female vocal and guitar. Would demonstrate any mid-range coloration like no one elses' business.

Book of Secrets by Loreena McKennitt -- another great vocal, this time with complex and often percussion-heavy accompaniment.

Songs of Earth and Sky by Bill Douglas and the Ars Novas Singers: replendent choral singing with woodwinds and piano.

Eire: Isle of the Saints by John Doan -- Celtic music for the "harp-guitar" and various combinations of acoustic and electronic instruments.

Songs of my People by Simon Wynberg -- Klezmer music in an intimate chamber music setting.

Dec 30, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (remastered) HIGHLY recommended

And HIGHLY seconded.

Dec 30, 2003 at 2:25 PM Post #29 of 57
Jeff

A couple I would recommend are from Holly Cole's Temptation

"Train Song"
"Invitation to the Blues'

The entire CD are covers of Tom Waits' songs

Users who are viewing this thread