Everyone is so down on the 125is...
Jan 8, 2010 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
I bought them a few days ago. But from what everyone is saying it sounds like I HAVE to get the 225is or I'm just wasting my money. I'd have to pay an extra 80 dollars, is it really THAT big of an improvement? Again I'm not an audiophile, I just like music. Are the 125is really THAT bad?

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 30
The SR-125 is a good headphone, it just occupies an odd spot in the lineup. I gave my father a pair of SR-125s, but only because I got a good deal on them from a Head-Fi'er. I was going to get him the SR-80 or MS-1, but these came up instead.

Anyhow, I've listened to the SR-125 and think they're pretty good. If you're set on them you should be happy. In no way are they a bad headphone.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 30
I MUCH prefer my SR-125 to my SR-225.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 30
Personally, I find the 125 and 225 to be difficult to distinguish (with bowls on the 125 instead of the stock comfies). It's the 325is that stood out for me, although even that difference was subtle, in absolute terms.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 30
No, you definitely have to believe people (1) you don't know, (2) who don't know you, (3) who have different tastes, (4) different hearing abilities/deficiencies, and (5) different budgets.

In all seriousness, if you like them (and the price you paid) then no one else's opinion matters. More power to ya!

But seriously, this is how I've seen so many mid-range phones start and end.

Grado SR125is are bad!
Worse than xxxxx?
Oh no, they're way better than those!
Worse than xxxxx?
No, they're way better than that!
Well, then they seem pretty good.
Well, they're not as good as SR225is!
I can't afford them. The SR125is are in my budget
Yeah, but if you're pinching pennies then go for the SR80i.
Are they better than the SR125i?
No, but it's a way better value.
Ok. So SR125i SQ is between SR80i and SR225i. Price is also between the two. I have enough for the SR125i, but I should go with the SR80is which don't sound as good?
Yes
Agreed
Ditto on the SR80i, but you should really save up for the PS-1
^Agreed
^ x2
The SR125is sound like trash compared to my 325i

facepalm.jpg

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hung0702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you definitely have to believe people (1) you don't know, (2) who don't know you, (3) who have different tastes, (4) different hearing abilities/deficiencies, and (5) different budgets.

In all seriousness, if you like them (and the price you paid) then no one else's opinion matters. More power to ya!

But seriously, this is how I've seen so many mid-range phones start and end.

Grado SR125is are bad!
Worse than xxxxx?
Oh no, they're way better than those!
Worse than xxxxx?
No, they're way better than that!
Well, then they seem pretty good.
Well, they're not as good as SR225is!
I can't afford them. The SR125is are in my budget
Yeah, but if you're pinching pennies then go for the SR80i.
Are they better than the SR125i?
No, but it's a way better value.
Ok. So SR125i SQ is between SR80i and SR225i. Price is also between the two. I have enough for the SR125i, but I should go with the SR80is which don't sound as good?
Yes
Agreed
Ditto on the SR80i, but you should really save up for the PS-1
^Agreed
^ x2
The SR125is sound like trash compared to my 325i

facepalm.jpg

happy_face1.gif
hahahaha true

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 30
The SR225i is a victim of reverse-FOTM. They aren't bad, just a lot of people with bad impressions made simultaneous posts. Remember the Sleek SA6s? Remember how much hype they got? Look at how many people on this page ordered it (one even gave a review) and look at what phones they're now using in their sigs.

We're all suspect to a little bias. A little pride in order to justify the money spent on something that is good, but doesn't quite meet our (overly hyped) expectations.

My first IEMs were Altec Lansing im616s for $70 back in high school. Do you have any idea how much $70 was to a poor kid like me!? Nearly 5 months of allowance and Christmas gift money. On those? I really wanted to like them but I knew I made a mistake. Not getting into price/performance, I had almost no cash for hanging out with my friends, going to sporting events, paying for dances, etc. (had I known about the PK3 mass-purchase that was going on at the exact same time, things would have turned out differently).

Speaking of which, every time I worked out at the gym and see a girl with Bose In-Ears (don't approach guys at the gym with casual conversation; gives the WRONG vibe), I'd suggested she get earbuds like mine since "they're cheaper and won't get gross with earwax/sweat, not to mention they sound better."

"No way! These go in your ear to isolate all the sound so you can focus on your workout. And look check out this cable, it's effin' black AND white so you know they spent a lot of time researching how to make them sound great!"

sigh... And she looked so fit and firm, too.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 30
I just read about 'wearing in' headphones. Guess I should do that before I make a judgement! Does playing music on them for a day straight or so really have a big impact on the way they sound?

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does playing music on them for a day straight or so really have a big impact on the way they sound?

probably take longer than 1 day to burn in..

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
probably take longer than 1 day to burn in..

Does it have a huge difference in the quality? Do I have to run them for a certain amount of hours non-stop?

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 30
That's the thing, I listened to them expecting to be blown away, to hear the music I've been listening to in a whole new way but that didn't happen. I've been listening to music on ****ty Sony headphones at home before this, and honestly I didn't notice the earth shattering difference I was expecting. That's why I wonder if I need to upgrade to the 225is. Although I figure that with the 125is I should have been amazing given what I was coming from. So I dunno, I'll try burning them in and see if that makes a difference. I'm not an audiophile so I maybe I can't notice the difference. But I figure I should, going from $30 to $200 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back