Everyone is so down on the 125is...
Jan 8, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #16 of 30
What kind of source are you using? That can have a big difference as well.
Another way to test; listen to your Grados for a few days straight, maybe a week or so. Later, try listening with your Sonys again and see if you can even stand to listen through a song.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the thing, I listened to them expecting to be blown away, to hear the music I've been listening to in a whole new way but that didn't happen. I've been listening to music on ****ty Sony headphones at home before this, and honestly I didn't notice the earth shattering difference I was expecting. That's why I wonder if I need to upgrade to the 225is. Although I figure that with the 125is I should have been amazing given what I was coming from. So I dunno, I'll try burning them in and see if that makes a difference. I'm not an audiophile so I maybe I can't notice the difference. But I figure I should, going from $30 to $200 headphones.

You're approaching this the right way. Give them some time, get used to them, see if you like them. Trust your ears. Don't feel compelled to like them, but don't feel pressured to upgrade. More importantly, let us know what you do or do not like specifically as it helps add to the body of knowledge out there.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of source are you using? That can have a big difference as well.
Another way to test; listen to your Grados for a few days straight, maybe a week or so. Later, try listening with your Sonys again and see if you can even stand to listen through a song.

Yes, the sound sources is also a very important matter.There is a saying, goody in and goody out. Please try to make a perfect match with DAPs or amps then to make your decision.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

That's the thing, I listened to them expecting to be blown away, to hear the music I've been listening to in a whole new way but that didn't happen. I've been listening to music on ****ty Sony headphones at home before this, and honestly I didn't notice the earth shattering difference I was expecting. That's why I wonder if I need to upgrade to the 225is. Although I figure that with the 125is I should have been amazing given what I was coming from. So I dunno, I'll try burning them in and see if that makes a difference. I'm not an audiophile so I maybe I can't notice the difference. But I figure I should, going from $30 to $200 headphones.

Give them some time. Listen for a few weeks then go back to your cheap headphones. You'll hear why the SR-125 is better.

Sometimes you don't "get" an upgrade until you go back to what you were listening to. That's one of the weird paradoxes of audiophilia, but it will make sense when it happens.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

If that's your reason, no you don't need to upgrade to the 225is. That would imply that they are earth-shattering compared to the 125's which they simply aren't. I tried every Grado and preferred the 225, but while the 125 was certainly different than the 225, it was not a night/day difference. 225's definitely have a bit more bass, if that's what you are looking for.

Now, first question is what is your source and compression. If you're running with 128kbps Mp3's you aren't going to hear the highs that grados are known for. What kind of music do you listen to? Grados are best for in your face stuff like loud orchestra and brassy jazz stuff, and of course rock and metal. These aren't hip-hop or trance phones, for sure.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #21 of 30
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that's your reason, no you don't need to upgrade to the 225is. That would imply that they are earth-shattering compared to the 125's which they simply aren't. I tried every Grado and preferred the 225, but while the 125 was certainly different than the 225, it was not a night/day difference. 225's definitely have a bit more bass, if that's what you are looking for.

Now, first question is what is your source and compression. If you're running with 128kbps Mp3's you aren't going to hear the highs that grados are known for. What kind of music do you listen to? Grados are best for in your face stuff like loud orchestra and brassy jazz stuff, and of course rock and metal. These aren't hip-hop or trance phones, for sure.

Listening to songs from a laptop, some Apple Lossless quality some just 128 kbps. Rock for the most part.
I was expecting a huge immersive sound that was also crisp. Maybe a different pair of headphones would be best for that?

Also, is the improved bass VERY noticeable, given everything I've said so far?

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #22 of 30
Perhaps one reason the 125s get no love is that they're often compared to the MS-1s, which are cheaper and essentially the same 'phone. There might be subtle difference between the two, but many people can probably live with any differences to save about $50.

For example, I have the SR-60s and am planning to buy the MS-1s, but I wouldn't even consider the 125s because of the price difference. Why pay more just to have the Grado name on headphones that are essentially identical?

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 30
I bought a pair of 125s (not the 125i) with a fantastic headband - just unwrapped it.

I'm also used to using Sennheiser HD25MarkIIs which are my compulsory travel headphones.

Unamped on my minidisc, the Grado 125s are terrible: thin and lean with a pure mono type sound.

Amp it with anything as cheap as a Fiio5 and it suddenly comes to life. I'm listening to Myaskovsky's Cello Sonatas 1 & 2 played by Tarasova. Suddenly there are treble frequencies I was never aware of. Martina's bow reverberates at one point when she taps it and reveals the limitations of her musical intonation - something I had not noticed before with the deeper sounding Senns.

So far I'm just bewildered by having a third set of headphones - they're revealing a dimension to classical music I haven't noticed. So far, I wouldn't say they compete anywhere near my HD25's for thumping drum n' bass; rock or metal music yet. I might have to switch amps to find out.

Choose your music source carefully - resolution problems and limitations in recordings will be revealed - glaringly! Ugly! But that's not the 125s problem -that's the recordings....or the artist.....

They're interesting to say the least. I think I got a good deal for mine, so I'm really impressed that something less than 1/2 the cost of my HD25 Mark IIs are just this good
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Listening to songs from a laptop, some Apple Lossless quality some just 128 kbps. Rock for the most part.
I was expecting a huge immersive sound that was also crisp. Maybe a different pair of headphones would be best for that?

Also, is the improved bass VERY noticeable, given everything I've said so far?

To me it sounds like Grado isnt the sound for you. Huge immersive sound? Thats Senn and (from what Im told) Akg territory. Grados are definitely crisp thats for sure.

As for bass, I hate to say it (especially as a Grado guy for 7 years) but Grado bass will never be good enough for most people. Those accustomed to Grado sound will settle for the Grado bass, because the rest of the sound is so energetic. Hell, to me my 325i's always sounded thin and lacked fullness as well as bass. I picked up some HD650's and you know what, theyre perfect for what I wanted.

It really sounds to me that the Grado sound maybe isnt a perfect match for you and unless you go REALLY high up that Grado ladder youre just going to get incremental improvements with a very similar underlying sound sig.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me it sounds like Grado isnt the sound for you. Huge immersive sound? Thats Senn and (from what Im told) Akg territory. Grados are definitely crisp thats for sure.

As for bass, I hate to say it (especially as a Grado guy for 7 years) but Grado bass will never be good enough for most people. Those accustomed to Grado sound will settle for the Grado bass, because the rest of the sound is so energetic. Hell, to me my 325i's always sounded thin and lacked fullness as well as bass. I picked up some HD650's and you know what, theyre perfect for what I wanted.

It really sounds to me that the Grado sound maybe isnt a perfect match for you and unless you go REALLY high up that Grado ladder youre just going to get incremental improvements with a very similar underlying sound sig.

Funny everyone says that these are THE headphones to get at this price range. Is there a headphone from a different brand that fits my taste and provides the same bang for the buck as the grados?

Also I say huge and immersive, but I still want to be able to hear minute details in the music. Possible to have both?

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Funny everyone says that these are THE headphones to get at this price range. Is there a headphone from a different brand that fits my taste and provides the same bang for the buck as the grados?

Also I say huge and immersive, but I still want to be able to hear minute details in the music. Possible to have both?

Is it possible to have both, absolutely!

As for other recommendations in this price range there are hundreds of better informed threads and posters out there. But having been in a similar place and switching to Senns perhaps thats a route to take. Have you checked out the Sennheiser HD595s? there just about 30 bucks more, total of $180, on amazon LINK Just a starting point research wise.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to have both, absolutely!

As for other recommendations in this price range there are hundreds of better informed threads and posters out there. But having been in a similar place and switching to Senns perhaps thats a route to take. Have you checked out the Sennheiser HD595s? there just about 30 bucks more, total of $180, on amazon LINK Just a starting point research wise.

hmmm those sound great but they're actually $100 more here in Canada. How are the HD 555s?

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #28 of 30
I havent heard the 125i, but I own the original SR-125 as well as MS-1. The SR-125 has alot of highs with the bowl pads. They are better than MS-1 in my opinion because the 125's bass goes lower, is more impactful, and soundstage seems better. Its just that the 125 is more tiring because of the highs. It makes it quite detailed though!

I like it.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

hmmm those sound great but they're actually $100 more here in Canada. How are the HD 555s?

Wow, bummer
frown.gif
As for the HD555, no clue. Search around, bound to be some well informed reviews here.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #30 of 30
EDIT: Weird double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back