everyday headphone
Jan 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

thebrain

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a set of Shure e4c's with custom molded sleeves and I find them really more suited for dedicated music/listening/movie session. In other words I don't think they're the right 'phone to just throw in a bag and just use walking to and from class, etc. Partly due to their isolation, partly to the less than optimal ease of insertion/removal,etc. So currently I usually have just been throwing the ipod stocks buds in my bag and using them. I know, I know, this is heresy around here, which is why I am here

I am looking for a fairly cheap set of headphones that are comfortable and convenient. I am open to most form factors (IEM, bud, over the head), etc. except I don't want a pair of small clip ons.

for the record, my initial searches yielded something like the metro-fi 2's, maybe the px100's, or the V-moda Vibes.

What do you guys think??

thanks for your time

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 17
PortaPro, since you ruled out the KSC75
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 17
Westone UM1.

They sound pretty good and they're durable enough that you can mistreat them a little. The way you're describing is exactly how I used them.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 17
I really love my px100's. I primarily use them in a fairly quiet office, so their lack of isolation isn't a problem. I've worn them walking around outside in quite a bit of noise and haven't been disappointed. They're pretty smal and unbulky, so easy to tote around and not too dorky looking in public.

I've had mine for about a year and the right driver has developed a slight harmonic when there are strong lows in the source material. I think something small is vibrating internally. It's noticeable from time to time but hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it yet.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ phyrefly
I knew that was coming

biggrin.gif

You should definitely give it some thought though. For listening in a low-noise requirement, I'd take the PP/KSC75 over the iM716 or any other IEM I've heard.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are westone um1's only used with foams?

They only come stock with two sizes of Westone's magical Comply tips, but you can fit any of the non-E2C Shure tips on them.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattopia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really love my px100's. I primarily use them in a fairly quiet office, so their lack of isolation isn't a problem. I've worn them walking around outside in quite a bit of noise and haven't been disappointed. They're pretty smal and unbulky, so easy to tote around and not too dorky looking in public.

I've had mine for about a year and the right driver has developed a slight harmonic when there are strong lows in the source material. I think something small is vibrating internally. It's noticeable from time to time but hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it yet.

Time to get some tweezers and take the pads off.. Probably some of your hair inside there. It happens to me quite often. I don't have long hair even!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back