Ever heard of Australian Rules Football??
Jun 16, 2004 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello

This is for all you people outside the Land Down Under (Australia)

Has anyone heard of Australian Rules Football and if so what do you make of it?
if you haven't check out this site www.afl.com.au

Cheers
Kunwar

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 40
I've got a buddy from Australia who has been telling me for a while how superior Aussie rules is to rugby but never explained the rules. Is there a site with a more friendly introduction to those who know nothing about the game?

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 40
well, idf people are more interested then they can post their questions here and I will do my best to answer.
I myself got introduced to the game 4 years back when I came here from india
Now it has become a passion to wait for friday, saturday and sunday. that is when matches are played.

In answer to your question, yes, it is a very physical game with players averaging 15-20Kms. a game in terms of running. Then you have to concentrate on the tactics, and watch out for other players as well because shepherding is allowed legally in this sport. Of course if you are a forward and the shepherding stops you from getting to the ball or making a contest of it then its a foul. Tackling is allowed
the game is often played on fields that are 150-180 yards in length and about 100-130 yardsd wide.

there are 18 players a side with 4 players on the interchange bench.
Players can go onto the bench for rest although many of them play out the game with the key midfielders and on ballers getting time of because of the tougher nature of their position.
The ball is bounced in the centre and the players contesting the bounce are called Ruckman with the area being called the Ruck.
there is a 50 mt. circle each side of the ground and players can mark (catch) the ball with their hands from a kick. the minmum marking distance is 15 Mts.
also a player can mark, then go back and take the kick, otherwise pass it to a fellow player using their fist unlike rugby where the ball can be thrown.
All this time you can be tackled by the opposition player.
if you fail to get rid of the ball, the opposition gets a free kick.
THe points scoring is done on basis of Goals and Behinds.
A Goal is worth 6 points
A point is worth 1 point.
the scoring is done on a goal with 4 posts.
the centre 2 posts form the goal and the outer 2 posts form the behind posts.
So if ball is kicked in between the middle 2 posts then it is 6 points.
outside the 2 middle posts and between the outer 2 posts it is a point.
If a ball is kicked out of the playing boundary it is a free kick for the opposition.

If you have some questions post them and I can answer them

Jun 16, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 40
i saw a game in the MCG while i was living in australia.

i sure liked it more than rugby, league or union.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 40
I used to watch Australian rules football years ago on the TV.
I liked it better than American football. I never got in to it enough to figure out all the rules and protocols, but I did watch it for one whole season.

Jun 17, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 40
I've played Ozzie Rules and out of the contact sports I've played [rugby and am. football; havent played lacrosse or ice hockey], its probably the one where you have to be the TOUGHEST. I dont keep up to date with it though, but I think its a great game.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

its probably the one where you have to be the TOUGHEST.

I've watched a few games of Australian football, and you are probably right. Hockey is a physical game as well, but IMO, the pads take much (but not all) of the danger out of it. Lacrosse is tougher still, but at least you do get to wear some protective gear. The ball is very hard and is tossed via the sticks quite quickly. You don't want to take one in the face.

IMO, the toughest sport I've seen on TV is Irish Hurling. It's similar to lacrosse, but it's played without pads and on a large soccer-style field. Instead of a webbed pouch to cradle the ball, the players bounce the ball on a wooden paddle as they run. To pass or shoot on net, they flip the ball up in the air (with the paddle) then hit it like a baseball. I've never seen so many players lying injured on the field at one time in my life. I think you're even allowed to hit the other players with your stick as they run.

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 40
You know, I was flipping through the channels one night (before I got TiVO) and I came across one of the strangest things I had ever seen. It happened to be Austrialian rules football. I had no idea what was going on but I ended up watching the entire game
smily_headphones1.gif

For those of you who haven't seen this and have any interest in sports I recommend it highly.

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Hello

This is for all you people outside the Land Down Under (Australia)

Has anyone heard of Australian Rules Football and if so what do you make of it?
if you haven't check out this site www.afl.com.au

Cheers
Kunwar

I love to watch it. I played rubgy all through school but ARF is quite different. All good fun!!
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 40
Well seems like there are people out there who know about it.
That is something that got me from the start. the game was free flowing, no sissies playing in it.
It was hard tough and physical. Faking anything never earns you any respect, in fact players who do so are often bagged (ridiculed) openly.
something i really liked is that every one does their level best, there are no frequent starts and restarts. There is something brilliant happening every single time.
One doesn't have to sit watching out for that elusive goal that wins it for one team.
I have palyed lacrosse and hurling as well and they are hard on the body but after playing a game of footy, it is like someone went over you with a blody tank and then stomped you into the ground.
The first amtateur game I played , I reckon i got hammered about 6 times.
The players who play it have my fullest respect.

For someone still wondering how hard it is, one fo the players here played till he was 32 then retired and went to US played American football for another 10 years cos he could kick a ball 60-70 Mts.

Jun 17, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Well seems like there are people out there who know about it.
That is something that got me from the start. the game was free flowing, no sissies playing in it.
It was hard tough and physical. Faking anything never earns you any respect, in fact players who do so are often bagged (ridiculed) openly.
something i really liked is that every one does their level best, there are no frequent starts and restarts. There is something brilliant happening every single time.
One doesn't have to sit watching out for that elusive goal that wins it for one team.
I have palyed lacrosse and hurling as well and they are hard on the body but after playing a game of footy, it is like someone went over you with a blody tank and then stomped you into the ground.
The first amtateur game I played , I reckon i got hammered about 6 times.
The players who play it have my fullest respect.

For someone still wondering how hard it is, one fo the players here played till he was 32 then retired and went to US played American football for another 10 years cos he could kick a ball 60-70 Mts.

I like watching American football, too but what the heck's with all those pads and helmets...? A jock-strap and a ball's all we need in Oz and Britain...
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by v_1matst

For those of you who haven't seen this and have any interest in sports I recommend it highly.

Hey, I'd recommend it for those who are not even interested in sports; you wouldn't believe how entertaining it can be watching a bunch Ozzies beat the hell out of each other whilst wearing shorts so tight they alone would bring tears to most mens eyes...
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 40
Isnt it sponsored by the Australian Dental Association
biggrin.gif

Hint. if emigrating to Australia and asked by customs if you have
a criminal record don't say "I didnt know you still needed one !"
biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldnt resist it, still you will get your revenge at the Ashes as usual
and I am sure you know just as many pommie jokes

Like this one

A young woman rushes into a polices station in Paris and cries

"help ( or au secours !) I have just been raped by an Englishman".

"mademoiselle" The gendarme says "how do you know it was an englishman"

To which the young woman replies

"because, I had to show him how to do it !"

Jun 17, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Isnt it sponsored by the Australian Dental Association
biggrin.gif

Nope, BUPA private medical insurance...
icon10.gif

EDIT:..and the Association of Blind Shorts Makers...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back