Ever broken a bone?
Mar 21, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #32 of 39
I haven't broken any bones (yet), which is amazing considering the amount of bike accidents I got into as a kid - and I rarely wore a helmet. I've been doored (parked car opens it's door right in front of you), I've hit a parked car (young and wasn't paying attention), I've bailed on mountain trails, and I've bailed at pretty high speed, too, but all I came away with were cuts, gouges, scrapes, bruises and sprains, luckily. I've had stitches a couple times, but so far I've evading serious injury (knock on wood).

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #33 of 39
Ah, the skiing accident...yeah, I've had a few broken bones related to skiing and ski racing:

1) broken fingers (4)
2) broken ribs (2)

and, from one especially hard fall in an invitation race out west:

1) cracked orbital
2) broken nose (I know...technically it's not a bone)
3) broken ribs (3)
4) broken collarbone
5) varietal nasty internal injuries (lacerated liver, severely bruised kidneys, etc...)

This particular fall was at (best guess) 60+ MPH, pretty much right into a retaining wall made out of hay bales. I'm from the midwest, and we don't ever get to ski downhill (for those unfamiliar, think about the guys in skin-tight suits skiing as fast as they can down a course with only a few great big turns) around here. It's a LOT different...you discover muscles you never knew you had after about 45 seconds at that speed. You discover them because they're screaming "STOP THIS!!! OWWW!! BURN!! BURN!!" Then you hit something unexpected, it throws you off-stride, and POW!!!...down you go.

I know more folks from the midwest who have a similar experience. They dangled "combined" points for overall results to entice everyone to compete in all events. It gets back to one of those things that they always tell you: ski within your ability!!

I'm glad that you're OK...the run-up to that little spill of yours (with talk of rocks and trees) could have been a LOT worse. I've caught edges before and skied into the trees. I can also remember a couple of "tree slaloms" in my younger days (what I was thinking about I don't know) that ended less than perfectly. All this stuff was, though painful (and very damaging to my equipment), ultimately not problematic. As I look back on it, I'm pretty lucky that I didn't run into more serious problems more frequently.

I know that a broken wrist is a pain and an inconvenience, but it will go more quickly than you think. I'm glad it wasn't something that won't heal so easily.

Mar 21, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #34 of 39
Well let the smooth talking with the nurturing chicks begin!

Obviously I won't let an situation like this bring me down with my game.

Hot Girl: "Ahh...what happened to your arm, sweetie"?
Me: "Humm..my ski caught an edge and I crashed into a tree"

in other words PATHETIC!!

This is my new conversation starter...

Me: "I was walking back home downtown saturday night alone, and I saw 4 other guys trying to get this girl to walk with them. I step in, words turn into punches. Yeah i'll admit I got my ass kicked, but not before I knocked one of the guys out, thus my broken wrist, cuts on my face, etc."

Hot Girl: "Your so sweet, let me give you my number so that i can help you if you need it..."

I can picture it in my head already...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by d00dz
Well let the smooth talking with the nurturing chicks begin!

Obviously I won't let an situation like this bring me down with my game.

Me: "Humm..my ski caught an edge and I crashed into a tree"

in other words PATHETIC!!

This is my new conversation starter...

Me: "I was walking back home downtown saturday night alone, and I saw 4 other guys trying to get this girl to walk with them. I step in, words turn into punches. Yeah i'll admit I got my ass kicked, but not before I knocked one of the guys out, thus my broken wrist, cuts on my face, etc."

Hot Girl: "Your so sweet, let me give you my number so that i can help you if you need it..."

I can picture it in my head already...
smily_headphones1.gif

lmao, now THAT is how to get a girl

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #37 of 39
I've never broken any of my own bones, but I did break my brother Doug's arm once. We were kids. I was 11 and he was 9, and we were in the midst of a neighborhood "Smear the Queer" game (we were kids, you know, don't blame me for the name). There must have been about a dozen other kids as well. This is a version of full contact tackle football with no pads, no teams, and no plays. Everyone simply madly scrambles to tackle the person who happens to have the ball. Then once you get tackled, and survive, you get to choose who to hand the ball to next. Then everyone gives that kid a chance to run away for a few nanoseconds, before they all decend upon him with their best Dick Butkus type of jarring hit! Man, it was fun, especially if you were one of the bigger kids.

So Doug sees me charging at him and is instantly overcome with fear, and quickly goes into a Lou Brock type of slide like he's stealing 2nd base, while I'm hurling myself headlong at him yelling "Butkus!!!" at the top of my lungs. I can still hear the sound of his arm snapping in two, and can still see the bone practically sticking out of his skin, and off we rushed to yell for mom, just two houses away.

The oddest thing then happened. A couple of months later, at the end of that same summer, on the day that Doug's cast came off, he went looking for Tommie Ferrari, who would have been 10 at the time. Tommie was the kid who handed Doug the ball and said "Now you're the queer!" right before Dick Butkus arrived on the scene. Now Doug wanted the revenge that he had been waiting for all summer and since his arm was Ok now, it was time to fight! So he finds Tommie somewhere and knocks him off his bike. Of course Tommie was a year older than Doug and quite a bit bigger, so he felt up to the challenge. The kids in our neighborhood were always ready for a brawl. And when Tommie throws his first punch with all of his might, guess where it landed? Right smack dab in the middle of Doug's belt buckle, thus breaking Tommie's hand! I wasn't on the scene for this episode, but to hear Doug tell the story today, he supposedly said, "That's what you get for calling me a queer" and walked away, never having thrown a punch himself. Of course I've always wanted to know why he didn't kick Tommie in the head a couple of times after he had him down, but Doug claims he was crying, and we had this rule that once the other kid started crying, the fight was over. A matter of honor, such as it were.

Those were the days. We all had our bikes and rode up and down all over our little home town looking for a pick up game of baseball, basketball or football, depending on the season. As much as we sometimes tortured and terrorized each other, we all grew up to be friends.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 39
I have never broken a bone and kind of want to know what it's like.

Usually when people hear that they tell me about how painful etcetera it is and it doesn't affect me very much, but reading some of your stories in this thread make me fell fortunate.

Mar 21, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Before discovering Head-Fi......
biggrin.gif

http://www.pbrnow.com/about/sportinfo/wreck.jpg

Amicalement

It wasnt' very nice of you to kick that poor bull in the air and and spin him like a beachball with your feet - no wonder you ended up cracking something!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back