Ever broken a bone?
Mar 20, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 39
I had 9 skull fractures when I was a kid from a car accident with a drunk driver.

I've had my share of ski injuries too, including a broken hand and lacerated internal organs.

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 39
Quite a few over the years... painful as hell... dislocated arm was VERY painful. My most recent break was a couple of years ago when I was walking down a set of stairs in my socks, I slipped and was fired down the stairs feet first and my right foot smashed into a metal bar on the staircase breaking 4 toes... not good
eek.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I've broken my collarbone a couple of times, leg a couple of times, wrist/arm a few times, had my face rearranged, broken skull, had the skin stripped off my back... among many others.

Before discovering Head-Fi......
biggrin.gif

http://www.pbrnow.com/about/sportinfo/wreck.jpg

Amicalement

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 39
...oh yeah, a few years ago, while horsing the camp trailer around the driveway by pushing it in my bare feet, I looked over my shoulder to see that I don't hit the cars, and ran the little hard tongue support wheel over the outside three toes of my left foot, completely crushing them, stopping on the middle toe, after which I realized that something hurt pretty good down there, at which time I removed my foot from under the wheel, stripping off all the skin from that toe. Took over two years to heal, lots of operations to get skin to grow over the wound...the crushed toes were not much a problem, but it kept me off my feet for most of the two years. Gained a lot of weight, and got reeeaaallly out of shape. Still fighting the weight and condition issues.

Moral of the story - they aren't kidding that foot injuries are bad for you in many ways. WEAR SAFETY SHOES!!!

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 39
I broke both wrists (one at a time), during my years in elementary school. As far as I recall, it was no big deal. Shortly after getting the permanent cast, I was able to do most things using the arm with the broken wrist. I was able to write, ride my bicycle, fish, etc., etc. As far as I can recall, the worst part, when I broke the left wrist, was getting the broken bones pressed back into alignment. No pain killers were given, and I let out a real loud involuntary scream. As for when I broke the right wrist, I was careful not to move the injury, so that a misalignment did not occur. I predict that, once the permanent cast is applied, and you get used to it, your life will be mostly back to normal; i.e., you will be able to do most everything. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #21 of 39
The only fracture I've had in my life was in my jaw six years ago in New Orleans (those da@#$@# crazy bumpy New Orleans streets, Louisiana Av in particular). Fell forward from my bycicle and my whole weight was stopped still by my chin. I actually fainted for about 5 seconds, dind't realize this until the other riders told me I didn't move at all for that long. Still have the scar in my chin, some of my teeth's cusps shattered mildly, but the real trouble was that my jaw bone completely broke near the left joint. I had my jaws immobilized (upper teeth wired to lower teeth) for two weeks, couldn't eat any solids, just liquids. Think about Ensure cans, milk, and juices for two weeks, and speaking without separating your teeth for that long. My English pronuntiation allegedly improved believe it or not.

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 39
Both legs, little finger, collar bone, big toe and ribs more times than I can remember.

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #26 of 39
I slammed my right wrist into my garage door my junior year of highschool and it hurt like a mofo -- two days before tennis team tryouts!

I played tennis, got laughed at for how poorly I played, and made my wrist hurt even more.

Never went to a doctor -- but my wrist has never been the same since.. I think I broke it and it grew in wrong.

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 39
Broke 2 of my toes a few weeks ago while fighting (karate), several ribs while fighting (karate again) and jammed my finger pretty good a few days ago (hockey fight)

^btw sux about the tennis thing, my first practice is tommarrow
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 39
I got my wrist bone teared, not broken, while trying to snowboard the first time in my life (and the last time!)... At first I thought it wasn't that bad, but it was.. It hurted a lot!! I had a cast for about 4 weeks (thought it should be longer), but it took about 3 months before I could use it again normally without pain....

It was my left wrist, but it's at that time you realize you need both of your hands to do a lot of things!!

In fact, as I think of it, it happened precicely a year ago (march 20, around 1 pm!)....

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #29 of 39
Cracked a bone in my wrist from a bike crash but figured it was just sprained. When the swelling didn't go down a few days later I went to have it x-rayed and found out it was actually broken. Also broke a couple fingers in summer camp playing lacrosse. That's it so far, if all goes well I don't plan on breaking anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back