Ever broken a bone?
Mar 20, 2005 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

d00dz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm an avid skier, and yesterday was a season ender. I crashed into a rock face and then a tree at around 40 km/h. Didn't get a concussion but I fractured my wrist, ripped apart my $800 skiing jacket, ripped my gloves, cracked my goggles, etc.
I thought everything was fine and I just sprained my wrist but it swelled up like a mofo...yeah good thing it's my left hand.

I couldn't sleep last night from the pain from the temp. cast. Things that suck are that it's hard to do everything with one hand. I'm not looking forward to having a cast on for 8-12 weeks. My whole ego of being "invincible" is shattered, I'm 20 and never broke anything until now...
I can't drive, I'm a pilot...not for 12 weeks or more, I can't butter toast, tie my shoe lace, type fast, mountain bike...man life sucks right now.

Mar 20, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 39
Yeah, that sucks man.
frown.gif
Knock wood, I haven't had any type of break or fracture in my whole life yet. Hopefully it won't happen any time soon...

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 39
I broke my left arm twice, three times if you count what happened the second time..

When I was little I fell off my bike. The hospital said it was a sprain and to exercise my arm. Apparently they called mom the next day and I got taken out of class to go get the cast. I'm glad they looked at the x-ray again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Second time I was 12 or so and fell off a horse. It's actually the only time I've fallen off a horse. My hard hat flew off, so I broke my wrist, my shoulder and got a concussion. They told me I was imagining things and to get back on. They only grudgingly allowed me a mounting block to climb on. Yeah, I moved stables soon after that.

I didn't realize at the time that I had a concussion. I thought it was normal that I'd miss three days of school because of it, and I thought mom kept waking me because of medication... except I wasn't on any medication. I only found this out recently.
smily_headphones1.gif

But still, I don't know if that was a good day or a bad day, because I may have fallen and ripped my arm up, but it was also the first time I put a saddle on my horse. That's an exciting time for anyone with a young horse just starting out. (no, this is not the horse I fell off of)

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 39
Broke my right ankle (a few little bones broken) by falling from a little cliff. 6 weeks stuck in a longchair. Bad, bad thing. It happened in France, they messed up the cast and I had to get it broken and redone in Belgium.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 39
I broke my left thumb as it was stuck in the hinge of a closed 2in metal door. That was the longest passage of time ever! as somebody had to find the person with the key. Today my thumb can bend 90 degrees because there's something not right in that area. I don't recall the pain as I was small. But it wasn't that bad as being sick.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 39
I've broken my collarbone a couple of times, leg a couple of times, wrist/arm a few times, had my face rearranged, broken skull, had the skin stripped off my back... among many others.

These days I'm completely sedentary so have not broken anything for ages.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 39
Broke my nose (and other facial bones) eleven times over a four year period, playing real (pointy) football...was a right tackle on offense, and middle guard on defense...when I would make a good hit, sometimes the helmet straps would break, and the helmet would rotate down till the top of the cutout would rest on my nose bridge...Spent a lot of time in High School with two black eyes and a swollen face, with a bandage and splint arrangement holding my face together...

Football, the great maker of men...

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 39
I jammed my bare foot against a file cabinet in my house and ended up breaking the little toe on my right foot. It didn't even hurt...at first, until I removed my hand that instinctively grabbed it and looked. It was sticking out at about a 30 degree angle from the toe next to it.

And then the pain came.

I ended up in the emergency room for about 7 hours, had x-rays taken, never did get to see a doctor, and just decided to go home. The toe is tweaked a bit and gives me grief occasionally. But, what the heck, it's just a little toe.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I broke my left thumb as it was stuck in the hinge of a closed 2in metal door. That was the longest passage of time ever! as somebody had to find the person with the key. Today my thumb can bend 90 degrees because there's something not right in that area. I don't recall the pain as I was small. But it wasn't that bad as being sick.

Yeah I have that too, I can't bend my left rest, elbow as much as I can the right. But isn't it said that bones are forged stronger after they're broken? I think I remember someone telling me that once.

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 39
Never broken any bones here. Though I do have chronic knee pains, and now I'm starting develop a back problem. Both of my ankles are pretty shot, too. I sprained both of them severely when I was in high school (on separate occasions) and my doctor told me to stay off of them for 3 months. Did I follow the doctor's order? Of course not. Now, they both sprain if I look at them funny. All this joint problems and I'm not really overweight. Argh.

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 39
fell out of a tree and broke my foot in 5 places when i was 4. even today at 41 I can still remember exactly what it felt like!

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I've broken my collarbone a couple of times, leg a couple of times, wrist/arm a few times, had my face rearranged, broken skull, had the skin stripped off my back... among many others.

These days I'm completely sedentary so have not broken anything for ages.

eek.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
fell out of a tree and broke my foot in 5 places when i was 4. even today at 41 I can still remember exactly what it felt like!

I hear ya, I rememmber hilling that tree like it was a few minutes ago. I've never been jerked/impacted/throuwn like that around ever in my life. I totally understand people in car accidents now. Pure instinct comes in, Eye's shut closed, body tenses up like when you dream about falling but 100x...man what a wild ride.

My list of injuries from this one crash include: Colle's Wrist Fracture, skin rash all over my other wrist (right hand), major rash/minor cuts to my left side of my neck, Cuts on my left cheak, Direct impact to my left knee cap (hurts but i don't think it's fractured, but i will check it out tommorrow, and sprained left ankle from twisting until ski snapped off (DIN ~9).....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back