Ever been knocked unconscious?
May 7, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 36
2000_John_Deere_310E_Backhoe_Loader_Tractor.jpg

Walked directly into the raised bucket of one of these once. It was right at forehead height, and I had a hat on carrying a big chunk of scrap metal so my head was down (not a hardhat of course, just a baseball cap). I didn't remember the fall just came to on the ground with the scrap on top of me. I didn't even get checked for a concussion, just kept going, lol. Ah to be young again.

May 7, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 36
I had just changed the oil in my father's Fiat 124 Spyder, his pride and joy (his first real sports car), and took it out for a spin to get it hot and then top off the oil. I was going through Tecolote Canyon, just like I used to (before I went off to sea for six months) ...and then I woke up in an ambulance, all busted up, with a CHP officer asking me questions about how fast was I going? and did anyone force me off the road? and did I remember anything?

I had skidded in some sand that was on the road at the bottom, hit the curb, flipped the car, and came to rest on the road upside down, with one of my hands sticking out from under the car on the passenger's side.

First responders decided to roll the car over over the arm of the "passenger" to see if the driver was alive as the "passenger" had no pulse, thus breaking it.

No witnesses, no skid marks, no memory of the accident - no fault assigned! Too bad about the car - Dad only had it a year, and never had another real sportscar. His next car was a Dodge Dart, automatic, puny 6-cylinder, in puke green. Always felt guilty about that.

May 7, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #18 of 36
I run into walls/doors occasionally- I have a tendency to look around when running and then my running kind of veers off course and a couple of times I just remember running then looking up at the roof- with no memory of collision or anything. lol.

May 7, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 36
I managed to get, according to my parents, a mild concussion after my one and only fall from a horse, meer days after I started taking lessons, and looking back, they had a young newbie on a young hothead of a horse, who did what most hothead youngsters do when the idiot instructor throws a branch into the woods behind them - spooked. I would have never ever put a new rider on such a horse, and I wouldn't be through branches around behind them either.
mad.gif

So I fell off my helmet flew off when my head hit the ground. I don't remember that bit, I just remember that my arm was obviously broken, and it was the arm you use to pull yourself into the saddle, and they were yelling at me that my arm was fine and that I needed to get back on. They yelled at me more when I asked for a mounting block.
mad.gif

I think I got back on, and that was even the first day I put the saddle on my own horse for the first time. Yes, she was so awesome a newbie could put a saddle on her with one arm and a head that wasn't right.
biggrin.gif

But after that I think I shut down because afterwards I kind of remember something about mom yelling that she was going to sell Glory and that I'd never ride again (she was upset, but obviously saying those things made me very very very very upset and angry. She wasn't mad at me though, I'm sure yall understand that). I remember something about a hospital...

And I missed a week of school. I've always thought it was because of pain killers. It wasn't until a few years ago when I was talking about how that stuff makes you feel when my parents both said I never took anything but ibueprofen for that. No, they were waking me up every few hours because of the concussion, not to give me pills.
blink.gif

I guess the only reason I remember is that it's a REALLY good day when you put the saddle on your horse for the first time, and then after that my brain felt free to turn off. I did break my wrist and shoulder though, and I still can't bend my wrist all the way down and I can't raise my arm all the way up, but I still count it as a really good day.

May 7, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 36
I got a knee to the temple playing football in college. I didn't remember anything for about 18 hours, including a linear algebra test that I somehow didn't fail. I had the worst head ache that I've ever had for about a week. I'm not sure if I ever passed out. My friends told me that they had to guide me back to my room. I may have passed out after they left. I've never played any contact sports since.

I have hit my head hard while skiing, but I wear a helmet so I've never even had a head ache. Some of the falls would have been bad without the helmet. Thank god for wives
icon10.gif

Last August, I had a cold and stood up fast from sitting on the floor. I got tunnel vision and lost my balance. I broke my foot and was on crutches for 11 weeks. It took another 4 months before I could walk without a limp.

May 7, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 36
This has been a fun thread. I've read all the responses! I can relate to quite a few!!

The funnest time though was when I was out flying a motorcycle before helmets were considered important when a tree entered my flightpath.

I remember flying, but not the tree.

I also have a nice scar decorating my bald spot.

May 8, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #23 of 36
I remember as a kid, we used to go outside at night and sometimes look straight up and pick out a bright star to look at and then while staring at it, start to spin around. The next thing you realize is that something smacks into your backside and you find yourself picking yourself up off the ground with no recollection of ever falling
tongue.gif

May 8, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #24 of 36
When I was fifteen I used to spend the weekend at my moms. I had a few friends from the town she lived in, and every Saturday and Sunday we'd hang out play vid's, skate, stuff like that. One of the guys in our group was kind of uptight and couldn't really take a joke. Every time me and another guy would bust each others chops Mr. Uptight would think we didn't like each other. So over time he had this impression that we would end up geting in a fight, as kids sometimes do. So me and the other guy decided we would stage a fight. We started yelling at each other and pushing and shoving. My buddy then took a swing at me, and I was supposed to fake getting hit and fall to the ground. Well he swung and missed, barely. I faked out and fell..and smacked the back of my skull on the concrete knocking myself out for a good five minutes. When I came to they were standing over top of me and I could hear my one buddy say, "Dude, I'm tellin ya, I didn't hit him at all!"
blink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #25 of 36
Not completely relevant, but I figure I'll share the story.

Last year, I had my wisdom teeth removed. I was only 13 so they had to go in and cut away the tissue then pull the tooth yadda yadda yadda. Anyhoo, I went with the anesthia, they put the IV in my arm. The last thing I remember was me thinking "This isnt working" and then I was out apparently. After the op, my rents told me I woke up 3 times and said some pretty random stuff before slumping over again. We then headed home, and my entire face was completely numbed. So, I was in my basement, watching Starsky and Hutch, and I just started unknowingly chewing on my bottom lip. I couldnt feel it at all. After the 2 hours of the movie, my entire bottom lip was gone. I ate the entire thing. I had no idea, I couldnt feel it, I couldnt taste the blood I had swallowed, it was just a little chewing motion. Next morning, hurt like a mother! Took months to heal, REALLY painful eating too.

May 9, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #26 of 36
bump for more stories!

May 9, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 36
i have knocked between 5 and 10 people out cold...

somehow fights seem to find me and i seem to win without being touched???
but, seriously -- yeah. apparently, i punch hard (that is what my friends say)

May 9, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first rule of fight-club is: ____________________
cool.gif

... to tell everyone exactly how many asses you have kicked?

May 10, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first rule of fight-club is: ____________________
cool.gif

You don't talk about fight club damnit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back