Ever been knocked unconscious?
May 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 36
I have knocked someone else unconscious. Do that count?
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night, a few friends and I met up and had some (ok, quite a few) drinks to celebrate my friends engagement at his parents house. Another friend and I found his dad's kickboxing pads lying around, and after a few minutes it was a full-blown semi-full contact kickboxing match in the basement. My friend threw a punch at me that landed right on my chin and made me really dizzy (although I was already a little dizzy from the drinking), so after that it escalated quite a bit, and I ended up knocking him down with a punch. It was still all fun and games, and he was still game to go, so when he got up he came at me quite aggressively, and I threw an air high kick that was intended to miss him by a few inches, like a warning. Unfortunately he picked that exact moment to lunge toward me (and my foot), and I ended up kicking him full-tilt in the jaw. He went completely limp and fell forward, without even breaking his fall with his arms. Of course the fun and games were over. I rolled him over, and I guess he bloodied his nose hitting the ground face first. His eyes were glazed over, and I thought I had really hurt him quite badly, as he practically threw his head into my foot. I tried to shake him a little to wake him up, but he just had a look of vacancy on his face. About ten seconds later he grabbed me and started trying to wrestle me. I said STOP! STOP! And he looked at me like, whats wrong? Then he noticed his bloody nose and was like, "What happened? What'd you do? What happened?" And we had to explain to him that he'd walked full tilt into a kick in the face, and he didnt believe us at first. Then he realized he didnt remember taking the fight to the ground, and didnt remember getting a bloody nose. He was alright after a minute, he cleaned himself up, and the party continued, although with a little hint of buzzkill in the air after that of course.

I found it quite strange that he didnt remember anything about it. He said he felt no pain, and didnt remember getting hit, going down, or me trying to wake him. I've never been knocked unconscious, I've always figured it would be a horrible experience, so I've kind of feared it until now. Has anyone had a similar experience where they get knocked unconscious and have no recollection of what happened? I ask this half out of curiosity and half out of worry for my friend.

He went to the walk-in clinic today and there didnt appear to be any damage.

I been hit hard enough to see flashes of light, but nothing to put me down or KO me..

May 10, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #33 of 36
I was downhill skiing with my friends about 7 years ago and I accidentaly drifted to sort of jumpspot (dont ask how). My ski got stuck somewhere and I was sent flying like a bullet right on top of that jump. I remember the flying, but not the landing. According to my friends I was out for few seconds only, and I suddenly jumped up in shock (which I somewhat remember). I had my clavicle bone broken in the landing process, and as I suddenly jumped up... the searing pain... (which I definetly remember!!!) it was horrible. I can still feel that there is a twist in my right clavicle when I run fingers on it, it never healed straight.

May 10, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #34 of 36
Pugil sticks. Ah, the memories!

A was a young Marine in officer training. Part of the course of study (haha) was something called "wooded engagement", in which the mark had to run through a tunnel of shrubbery (Ni!), which emptied into a clearing. In the clearing was a cement bunker, which was occupied by from two to five (luck of the draw) opponents.

One's challenge was to use all of the hand-to-hand bayonet skills learned (buttstroke, jab, parry, etc.) in the previous week of training to stay alive. Not win, mind you, but stay alive.

I saw two attackers, and did my best to keep them occupied without getting my ass kicked until the "ref" blew the whistle that the round was over. I didn't see the third guy.

Apparently, he snuck up behind me and used his stick kinda like a baseball bat. I saw my opponents eyes get really big for a split second, then the lights went out.

I was wearing a football helmet with a chinstrap. I am told that my helmet ended up about twenty feet away. I was out cold for 3 to 5 seconds. When I tried to stand up and walk, I could only list heavily to the left, and then fall back down. I was extremely nauseated.

Postcript: I supposed that I had a mild concussion, and so did not seek medical help (wasn't officer-like!). The fact is, that the blow damaged my fifth (?) cranial nerve, which controls the muscles that move one's eyeball around in the socket. Now, when I get tired, my left eye disassociates from my right, drifting to look at the corner in the ceiling. Hoorah!

May 10, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been unconscious a few times. One time I was by myself at home lying on the couch, listening to some music. I had to go to the bathroom so I got up (too) quickly. Found myself lying on the bathroomfloor with my headphones still on and a song playing. I had no idea how I got in the bathroom or what had happened.

You probably have very low blood pressure. I do (exercise induced), and have to watch how quickly I get up out of chairs. My resting pulse is 45, so it takes a second or so for the blood flow to catch up with the elevation change. Brain likes oxygen, apparently.

May 10, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 36
As kids, we used to put our heads between our knees and take ten deep breaths, stand up and blow as hard as you can on your thumb (without letting out air). This would make you pass out. We had spotters. Anyhow, the spotter was asking if I needed him. I said no. Woke up about 10 sec. after a faceplant in the concrete floor.

That is minor.

I was playing in a roller hockey league. The play was going forward and I was digging in on the rush when the puck was knocked between me and a defender. We both turned into the middle. I watched the puck, he watched out for the collision. I woke up on the bench with three fractures in the cheekbone and a crushed orbit bone. Had a concussion that wouldn't let me fly for 6 weeks. The boss wasen't too happy with that. I had to get back on the floor to know that wouldn't be my last memory after 12 yrs. of hockey without a cut. Had a regular game, sold the equipment after the game and haven't missed playing it.

Any time you mess with the electrical operation of the brain, some funny stuff can occur. Most of the time, its temporary. To this day though (20 yrs later), I can't ride roller costers without getting queasy. Before the hit, I loved them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back