European meetup - post your ideas here
Apr 26, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #16 of 234
London or Amsterdam, otherwise it's just too unaffordable for me, being a poor student
frown.gif

EDIT: LOL 888 post! Eternity is mine!

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about edinburgh?

not very central i know but on the plus points its got tons of conference facilities, lots of hotels that are reasonable outside the festival and hogmannay. has decent public transport and is a reasonably small city so people should find it easy to get around

also its rather pretty

It's more convenient for me certainly but I cannot see any logistical or facilitatory advantages to Edinburgh, it's further for most of the UK domestic head-fiers and there isn't even a rail link to the airport which doesn't get universal traffic the way London does.

At the end of the day, everybody wants the meet as close to their home as possible. The way that is going to happen lads, is when someone who lives there steps up and actually organises such a meet, instead of throwing lumps into the pot along with all the others who want the greatest benefit for the least effort. It will be a lot of work and it won't be simple or easy, especially if you want to involve manufacturers and not just have it be a members meet.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the end of the day, everybody wants the meet as close to their home as possible. The way that is going to happen lads, is when someone who lives there steps up and actually organises such a meet, instead of throwing lumps into the pot along with all the others who want the greatest benefit for the least effort. It will be a lot of work and it won't be simple or easy, especially if you want to involve manufacturers and not just have it be a members meet.

Thank you for stating the obvious my friend so I didn't have too
beerchug.gif

On the vendor/manufacture part I think it would be realistic just to meetup and any who can pull some strings to get products or PR+gear tell up front.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #19 of 234
again if i may suggest amsterdam, but for more mature reasons:

- Schipol is a international hub and can be reached by the entire continent and beyond.
- it is more or less central to the major hubs of eu head-fiers and is either a short plane or moderate train ride away. from germany its 7h by train from amsterdam to berlin, from frankfurt and hamburg even shorter. from the the UK its 1 hour by plane from london and half a day from london by train.
- prices for food and hotel are comparable to mainland europe and cheaper then the uk.
- english is widely spoken and understood. english is not as widely used in germany.
- local transport is very efficient. london transport is terrible.
- schipol airport is a 15min train ride from the city centre. gatwick, heathrow and stanstead are at least an hour away from the centre, not to mention a 1 way trip to the city can cost up to 20 quid.
- amsterdam is a prototypical european city rich in cultural diversity, as much as london and more then berlin.
- it is very relaxed, much more relaxing then london.

this is all of course imho. wherever it is in europe i will be there. i tend to get around
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #20 of 234
Duggeh have a point.
Most of us want it as close to our home as possible. I realize that I will need to travel international, as I am more or less "alone" up here...
So probably what's needed is that someone step up and start organizing a meeting in their local area.

As long as it take place in an easy accessible place I will most certainly be there.
smile.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 234
Norway's a nice place, but Oslo was rated the most expensive city in the world (07/08?). Well look at it this way, if you host it in Norway, you could probably get some Electrocompaniet.

London, hopefully some Graham Slee + Sennheiser (since we have John Willet, he'll be able to hook us up).

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 234
I agree with Duggeh, It would be best if it is was held in the hometown of the person who steps up to organise the event. That way they will be able to liaise with hotels etc.

It would obviously be better if the city had a major airport / train station.

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #23 of 234
I'd love to vote for Copenhagen myself, since we have English as second language and it only takes a 15 min metro ride to get to the heart of Copenhagen. However, it is a rather expensive city and it's also difficult for the southern Europeans to attend without flying as I just can't imagine anyone taking a 2 day trip by car just to attend a head-fi meet.

Thus, my vote is for Netherlands or Germany. It's still within reasonable driving distance for us Danish people (both Amsterdam and Frankfurt are an 800 km drive from Copenhagen).

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #25 of 234
Yeah maybe Berlin isn't a really good idea after all. I was thinking going by Zug zum Bahnhof though.
biggrin.gif

I do know there is a pretty big community in Germany as well. They are not head-fiers and I am not sure how they're English is but if the meet would be ~Netherlands/Germany we might interest these people to come pay a visit. Not sure if that is what we are after.
Furthermore I second Amsterdam. I don't really like the city myself but it should be easy to reach for basically any person in the world.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #26 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
London, hopefully some Graham Slee + Sennheiser (since we have John Willet, he'll be able to hook us up).

As I said I'm hooked enough with Sennheiser that won't be a problem anywhere as long as you guys can handle me and not The Dr. him self - I also know John thought I never had the pleasure of meeting him yet
wink.gif

I think there is a point about Amsterdam - Many international fights to NA and such go by there too so for us in Scandinavia etc. it would be cheaper to fly to than even driving to other places. Don't know how many "resources" we got in the second windmill nation (Denmark being the first
evil_smiley.gif
) or how it looks for south Europeans to get there thought?

Also the Netherlands are possibly the only place more relaxed than Denmark I've heard?

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 234
this meet will most certainly not be organized by a single person so i believe that the argument that it should be held in the hometown of the organizer doesn't really pertain. much of the organization will have to be shared and delegated by a "committee" of sorts, much like the EU
wink.gif

if we can finalize on a city and have a core contact there, many of the other logistics can be handled remotely. organizing a hotel can be done over the internet. resources such as google maps and even this thread can help organize information. as Gamerphile mentioned, many of us can talk to our respective contacts and in reality, can manifest a meet almost anywhere in the world.

does anyone here have experience organizing a previous meet? we might want to talk to some of the forum members with experience in this so we can get an understanding of some of the challenges and hurdles. it might also be prudent to make a target list of tasks and requirements so we can begin to delegate some of the work and get a real sense of what needs to be done.

i don't mind being the secretary in terms of getting down on paper a formulated strategy plan. the more we work it out organically here on the thread, the more we will have to work with when we attempt to isolate and identify the main challenges of getting this going.

so far we have questions about location, sponsorship, mobility, etc. what else are we missing to address? can we get some type of manifesto from the canjam organizers?

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 234
^ I think we need to ask to ourselves if we want a (small) head-fi meet first or we want to go big the first time. Also we need more head-fiers interested...

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #29 of 234
sent an email off to Jude and i am posting it here so we can get some transparency in the organizing process:

Quote:

Dear Jude,

this is jef writing and i go by the handle "smallcaps" on the head-fi forum. some of the european forum members are beginning to discuss a possible multinational meet-up in the EU. you might have stumbled upon this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/eu...s-here-421395/

i understand that you must be immensely busy organizing the up and coming canjam (wish so much that i could attend!) but i was hoping to get some advice in regards to organizing an event somewhere in the EU.

we are currently building up a checklist of requirements but i am sure we are missing some key tasks. if you or any of the previous organizers could drop us a few hints on the thread to nudge us along that would be greatly appreciated. thanks for hearing me out and hope you are having a good weekend.

kind regards,

jeffrey

hope we can get some good feedback and if anyone else can reach out to potential assets please do so. i am excited about the possibilities in this. if we can get the next canjam on home turf it would be amazing. we essentially have a year to do this, if we all aspire to this lofty goal. it will be hard and challenging but i believe it is worth it. it is time that us EU head-fiers asserted our passion for headphones and audio fidelity. we owe it to the community to represent in a positive and proactive way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back