European made dacs
Sep 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #106 of 124
Why, what evidence and experience do you have to make such a sweeping statement? 

Quote:
Oh no, dcs use internal power supply? MUST be a bad design !!!!

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #115 of 124
I have the opportunity to buy a metronome technologie c20 dac, I know it went for several thousand dollars in 2003, I can pick it up for 700. Does anyone know about this dac? I will be using my laptop with USB/spdif converter to the dac to my vintage marantz 2250b. It has to be better than my maverick d1, right? If someone can chime in on this unit I would really appreciate it.

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #116 of 124
I've been away from this place for almost a year, seems i have some things to update :). Already started, good to see the thread is still growing! 

More reviews of metrum octave are showing up. Just read a few and it seems a really good piece of equipment, does anyone here have experience with it?

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #117 of 124
Yes I have had my Metrum Octave for some months now and simply amazed how well it performs. I have compared it to several DAC's costing 3 to 4 times as much, both upsampling and filterless and the Metrum offers a great all round performance. It gives a very natural sounding playback and cant wait to hear the new HEX if the performance of the Octave is anything to go by.  I was going to buy and Audio Note 2.1x signature which costs over 4000 Euro, but having compared the two side by side I really prefer the Metrum.  Its is very sensitive to the SPDIF cable though I have found and its important you use one which is true 75 ohm otherwise it will degrade the performance considerably.  You really should get hold of one and try it I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I am sure you will find many in the hifi trade quite dismissive of it, which makes me laugh at it shows their lack of objectivity, just because in the main its sold direct cutting out their 50 to 100 percent margin. However; there are a small but growing number of distributors and dealers who are now reselling the Metrum, so this is starting to push up prices.

I am always very skeptical of the the latest and greatest having been so disappointed over many years of audio hype.  The review in HIfi Critic gives a very fair view of what to expect from the Metrum Octave 

Quote:
I've been away from this place for almost a year, seems i have some things to update :). Already started, good to see the thread is still growing! 

More reviews of metrum octave are showing up. Just read a few and it seems a really good piece of equipment, does anyone here have experience with it?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #118 of 124
I am one of those very sceptical about cables. I believe a good connection is a must but all the mumbo jumbo that i read in cablereviews is making me me laugh. I'm not saying "high grade"cables is bs, I just have to hear it for myself before i believe it.
The blue jeans cables i have now are great and for what i know 75ohm, will recheck.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #119 of 124
Although the type of cable can make an audiable difference its the 75 ohm impedance including the connectors which is important.  Unfortunately some cables sold as SPDIF are nothing more than a standard RCA with 100 ohm or more impedance. Some people are removing the RCA off the back of the DAC and replacing it with a bnc socket.  I have tried it with 3 good SPDIF cables, Madridal copper "fat boy", Black Cat Veloce silver/copper and the Van Den Hul The ultimate carbon.  They all sound slightly different, but at the moment prefer the VDH.  

Quote:
I am one of those very sceptical about cables. I believe a good connection is a must but all the mumbo jumbo that i read in cablereviews is making me me laugh. I'm not saying "high grade"cables is bs, I just have to hear it for myself before i believe it.
The blue jeans cables i have now are great and for what i know 75ohm, will recheck.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #120 of 124
Quote:
Although the type of cable can make an audiable difference its the 75 ohm impedance including the connectors which is important.  Unfortunately some cables sold as SPDIF are nothing more than a standard RCA with 100 ohm or more impedance. Some people are removing the RCA off the back of the DAC and replacing it with a bnc socket.  I have tried it with 3 good SPDIF cables, Madridal copper "fat boy", Black Cat Veloce silver/copper and the Van Den Hul The ultimate carbon.  They all sound slightly different, but at the moment prefer the VDH.  

The Van Den Hul is nice, but seriously outclassed by an XLO Limited LE-4 COAX cable.  I'd recommend you certainly give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back