European made dacs
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #76 of 124

Yeah, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Metrum Octave.  If you buy it within the EU you get lumped with a 19% tax.  If outside the EU, no tax but you 'may' have to pay import duty (some haven't).

http://www.metrum-acoustics.nl/price_list.html

All products sold in EU have tax included in the price, Metrum adds it when you checkout. No difference.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #77 of 124
Synthesis Matrix 24 bit tube dac.  Italian company.  This DAC does support 24bit/192khz via USB. Around 4k

Also must not forget Audio Note.  DAC 5 signature below, around 60k

Melos DACs may not still be in production but they are (or were) wonderful tube DACs.  The middle component is the DAC, around 3k

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #79 of 124
Sep 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #82 of 124
Don't underestimate head-fi 
biggrin.gif

dcs Vivaldi => 110K. => (CD transport + Upsampler + DAC + Master clock)
Need your advice, do you think I can get the best of my LCD-2 with this?

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #83 of 124
Quote:
What would be the best European dac maker / model at any price?

I have currently a Meier system that I like a lot but I want to upgrade.

At any price, I'm pretty sure => dcs Vivaldi. 
You may need to mod the caps, internal cabling and some resistor to further improve the sound (soundstage, detail, etc).

I believe you don't need to upgrade anymore once you have this as there's simply no more upgrade.

biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #84 of 124
Quote:
Quote:

At any price, I'm pretty sure => dcs Vivaldi. 
You may need to mod the caps, internal cabling and some resistor to further improve the sound (soundstage, detail, etc).

I believe you don't need to upgrade anymore once you have this as there's simply no more upgrade.

biggrin.gif

Sure there will be in a couple of years.
And you forgot to add the amp and the cables on top of this.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #86 of 124
I would doubt it, as the DCS Ring DAC is legendary, and made from discrete components developed in house at DCS, Its not a mass produced off the shelf chip set that most manufactures use.  Also its upgradable via various releases of firmware as new features come along like playing hi-res DSD files.  I know of no other commercial DAC which is equivalent, except possibly MSB, but I'm not that familiar with their implementation. However the DCS sound may not be for everyone as it majors on detail.

In fact a lot of the stuff out there are just bog standard off the shelf components or ready built modules thrown together is a box and touted as revolutionary, or novel on some way.  I'm afraid its a bit of a sham, and has been going on for decades. 
Its called marketing!   
wink_face.gif

Quote:

I have my doubts on that as the dCS is S-D. I reckon a decent multibit DAC (something based on TDA1541A perhaps) would have better dynamics. Have a look over here (just to give one example) : http://www.ecdesigns.nl/isd-player/isds1

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #88 of 124
What about Weiss?

Don't they use proprietary chips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back