European made dacs
Jul 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 124
Thanks, I checked out Aventure but they don't show prices. They seem to be a true distributor; that is they stock Hegel equipment locally and then sell it on to hi-fi stores. 1400 EUR = about £1200 which isn't cheap, but is also not outrageously expensive.

Do you have a link to a dealer in Holland or elsewhere in the EU?

Regarding Naim, I've used their amps since the 1980s, and while their equipment is expensive to buy, it is built to last. My Naim 250 power amp (which was their top of the range at the time) is around 25 years old and is still going strong. 

I also gave my "old" Naim 32.5 pre-amp to a friend of mine 10 years ago. I didn't think it would work for much longer, and so I felt bad about him paying me anything for it and wouldn't accept any money for it. He is still using it.

The power amp has cost me £30/year so far, which is exceptional value compared with most of my non-audio purchases (especially cars, which depreciate more than that every month, and then there is insurance, tyres, gas/petrol, annual service costs, etc.).

I wish good cars were as inexpensive as good hi-fi...!

Naim are not to everyone's taste, but based on my history I'll probably buy the Naim DAC if I audition one as it seems to have the usual Naim attributes -  their equipment plays tunes well (also called PRaT), which is always my first priority.

I saw your addition of the Musical Fidelity, you were fast with that... 7 minutes! I had to check which order the posts were in, as I thought I'd messed up... 
confused.gif

Quote:
Hegel's dealer list; http://www.hegel.com/euro.htm
The D20 is about 1400 euro's in holland.

MF added to the list, didnt know they're european.

The Naim look interesting and verry nice aestheticaly. High price though.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #19 of 124
I was at work. Night shifts are easy sometimes :) I'm now at home finishing the workweek with an old slayer cd.
This is the pricing from the importer. Most dutch dealers dont have a usefull site and most refer to this list.
http://www.hifinesse.nl/pdf/hegelprijslijst.pdf

Maybe shoot aventure a email about a dealer list?

[size=medium]

Quote:
Electrocompaniet (Norway)

Added
[/size]

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 124
I never found the very few night shifts I did to be easy. IMHO they're for young guys with stamina, but were not suited to me even when I was young and had more stamina...

The Hegel is interesting, and I will follow up on it; it is less expensive than I had expected.

The Metrum DACs are also really interesting. If you decide to try one please post your impressions.

Quote:
I was at work. Night shifts are easy sometimes :) 

Maybe shoot aventure a email about a dealer list?

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #21 of 124
I've been checking a UK review site called Tech Radar that seems to be good for equipment reviews.

It's not the best laid out site as DACs are grouped under accessories, but it's still worth checking out. They seem to source equipment from UK suppliers so they should also be EU friendly.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-accessories

There are many of the manufacturers mentioned here that are reviewed. I've found it a useful resource to build a short-list of DACs - their reviews do seem to follow a house style, and so give an idea of the voicing of the different products and therefore what might suit your taste.

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 124

Quote:
Thanks, I checked out Aventure but they don't show prices. They seem to be a true distributor; that is they stock Hegel equipment locally and then sell it on to hi-fi stores. 1400 EUR = about £1200 which isn't cheap, but is also not outrageously expensive.

Nope - it's not cheap but Hegel's philosophy is pretty much the same as Anedio, offer high-end sound at a good price without the ********. With the Hegel you're paying for what's on the inside and not a gold plated CNC machined enclosure.... I fully believe the Hegel and Anedio to be on the same level as some $10.000 DACs. They do everything that is real high-end hi-fi in terms of resolution, clarity, 3d-soundstage etc.

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #23 of 124

Quote:
Nope - it's not cheap but Hegel's philosophy is pretty much the same as Anedio, offer high-end sound at a good price without the ********. With the Hegel you're paying for what's on the inside and not a gold plated CNC machined enclosure.... I fully believe the Hegel and Anedio to be on the same level as some $10.000 DACs. They do everything that is real high-end hi-fi in terms of resolution, clarity, 3d-soundstage etc.

[size=11.0pt]What are your experiences with the Anedio.
how does it compare to the Hegel?[/size]

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 124

Quote:
[size=11.0pt]What are your experiences with the Anedio.
how does it compare to the Hegel?[/size]

Go the "Anedio my new reference dac thread" - it's all in there and more....
smile_phones.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #26 of 124
Interesting comparison, although SE's prose is very hard to decipher at times.  I gather the Metrum stands up well, especially considering the significant price difference.  I have learnt that I prefer timbre, flow and gestalt over detail and clarity, so I am quite curious about the NOS sound.

@Stitch, Hassan I Sabbah appears randomly in the writings of William S. Burroughs, whom I admired for his black humour and pure dedicated creativity.  I see you are into the martial arts, so I think see the connection (c:

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #27 of 124

Quote:

Added, looks very nice. Clean as a whistle inside.
Funny, in a way, the 6moons review compared the totaldac to the metrum octave. They seem to be on the same level. The totaldac "operated solely in the sideways realm of difference"

Quote:

Yes, its not the first time i read such a statement. Still on my list.

Quote:
Interesting comparison, although SE's prose is very hard to decipher at times.  I gather the Metrum stands up well, especially considering the significant price difference.  I have learnt that I prefer timbre, flow and gestalt over detail and clarity, so I am quite curious about the NOS sound.

@Stitch, Hassan I Sabbah appears randomly in the writings of William S. Burroughs, whom I admired for his black humour and pure dedicated creativity.  I see you are into the martial arts, so I think see the connection (c:

Agree to some points. The fact that the metrum has a nicer sounding timber more than it has detail and clarity bothers me somewhat. I'm a bit of a a purist, I like the chain to be neutral and clear up to the headphone jack and add flavour in terms of cans.

I found the quote in the works of Aleister Crowely, an (in)famous occultist. Backtracking it lead to Hassan I Sabbah. So its more of a "coincidence", up to a point, that i also like martial arts :)
Ah, William S Burroughs rings a bell somewhere but only the name. Is it comparable to Edgar Allen Poe or even perhaps H.P. Lovecraft?

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #28 of 124

Me too; I learned this a long time ago, it separates what sounds like music and what sounds like hi-fi. Detail and exaggerated treble are far too often confused, or so it seems to me.

I've largely gone off the idea of oversampling and/or Sabre based DACs as a result of the reading I've been doing. Wolfson or Burr-Brown DACs seem to be the better option for me.

Quote:
 I have learnt that I prefer timbre, flow and gestalt over detail and clarity, so I am quite curious about the NOS sound.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #30 of 124
North Star Design (Italy)

Beresford (UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back