euphonic distortion, yea or nay: Echo Indigo versus TBAAM
Mar 4, 2007 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

facelvega

Headphoneus Supremus
(I just edited the thread title to reflect the direction it took)

I recently bought an Echo Indigo to upgrade from my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro as laptop dac. I'd been wanting to move up from my cheapo TBAAM for some time, particularly since I realized after an A/B test how deeply inferior it is to an old Onkyo CD player I got off ebay for $20. Yet at the same time I'd say that the TBAAM is clearly superior to the stock soundcard in either of my laptops. I guess it's about halfway up the long range between laptop sound and old midfi cdp sound.

I'd read posts here extolling the Echo, and an article in Stereophile saying that it was right about dead even with the standard bargain hifi cd player of the moment, which I think at the time of the article was a Toshiba. I found one recently for a good price and pounced. It arrived yesterday.

Verdict: I'm selling the Echo and keeping the TBAAM. Here's how I got there:

Equipment: lame 192vbr mp3>Foobar>Echo/TBAAM>Go Vibe V5 w. 18v power supply>Koss A250/HOK 80-2 orthodynamics. These are both extremely fast and detailed headphones, with the difference that one is very easy to drive and the other very difficult. (see amping section below)

Music: 18 tracks selected from 1000 highly varied albums to test different aspects of headphone performance: bass, mids, treble, soundstage, instrument separation, transient response/speed, PRAT, detail resolution, and ability to handle poor recordings.

Observations

Echo Indigo Typical New Price Shipped: $120-150

Perhaps the Echo is merely biased more for use as a speaker source than for headphones. It presents a very forward treble, with good separation and good soundstage, but with a crisp sound, almost to the point of being harsh. Its bass response is surprisingly weak. Clarity and detail were good, but still not up to the level of an old cd player. But somehow, the echo was always lacking: though I could appreciate its strong points, they never really engaged my interest in the music.

EDIT: the noise in the signal previously mentioned here was actually a red herring from a poorly-mastered recording, sorry to mislead. In fact, both cards produce satisfactorily low noise.

TBAAM Typical New Price Shipped: $25-35

To my ears, the turtle beach is simply more musical sounding than the Echo. It has a much greater bass presence that is very nearly as well-resolved as the Echo's, and though it has a relatively slightly muddy detail in the highs and mids, it is nevertheless more pleasing in the way it presents them, perhaps slightly less analytical but with a much fuller sound. At first I thought this was just a case of the Echo being flat and the TBAAM being colored in a way I'd grown used to, but on going back and forth, I realized that they are both colored, just in different directions. The TBAAM is for me simply the more musical choice, even apart from the fact that it costs a quarter the price.

To Amp or not to Amp?

I tried both soundcards amped and unamped with both my Koss A250 and my HOK 80-2 orthodynamics-- two extremely capable headphones, one of which can be driven unamped by an mp3 player, the other needing serious amping to sound its best (it can even be driven directly from speaker outs!). First, what should be obvious: with the less sensitive headphones, the amp made a vast difference and was more or less indispensible. What you might not have guessed is that the TBAAM could handle them better alone than the Echo, which started seriously distorting the bass at a moderate volume. I don't know how many volts go to a cardbus slot, but apparently not as many as USB's 5 volts.

With the more sensitive headphones, however, the difference between amped and unamped sound narrowed. But once again the TBAAM showed itself the more capable device. With it, the amp was almost negligible: there were slight differences, but not clearly an improvement. Of course, I'm using a very cheap amp, a Go-Vibe V5, so another amp with a more sympathetic signature might well have made a bigger difference. With the Echo, the amp made a definite but not a drastic improvement. For someone with a laptop, I'd say it was a better idea to spend $30 on a TBAAM (or even $10 on a generic usb soundcard) than $55 on a cheap amp.

Now what? If the Echo doesn't amount to the upgrade I was hoping for, I still want to move up from the TBAAM. So where do I look? Will a Silverstone EB-01 give me the more cdp-like sound I'm looking for? I hesitate to move up to something like a Zhaolu, which will kill my portability, kind of important as I live both in Berlin and Boston. Any ideas, kids?

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 35
Sounds (well, actually, reads...) like you were a candidate for one of those nice portable headphone amp/usb dac combos like the (Total)Bithead, PortaCorda III USB, Headphonia PMAwUD...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 35
Good timing on this review -- Thanks!
I'll be looking at soundcards for my work laptop in the new future. I'll keep your observations in mind as I make my decision. I've always liked Turtle Beach, still have one of their older soundcards in a PC around here somewhere.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 35
interesting! I run my hd595 directly from my tbaam. I have a pa2v2 but don't use it as it introduces distortion in the high end at moderate/strong volume, has channel imbalance at low listening levels and has bad effect on sound transparency.

I'm interested in moving up from the tbaam too, for less than $300. one reason is that I have to use digital volume control with it and it compress the music vs. an external volume control. I'm thinking about buying the EMU 0404usb....or maybe buy an alien dac from a diyer or rather an alienDAC/amplifier combo..or buy a zhaolu with discrete amp..or...too many options really
eek.gif
. so, basically, I'm lost
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 35
Good review! I haven't heard the TBAAM, but I enjoyed the Indigo DJ (I assume this is the Indigo you were using?) when I had it a couple of years ago. Always thought the sound was crisp and clean (especially from the line-out, the amp'd line was good, but a little less detailed IMO) and enjoyable. It worked best as a line out to a dedicated amp I thought, but for a portable solution with my laptop it was quite good. The only drawback was the bottom end of the base, IMO. It never sounded quite smooth enough, there was always the feeling that it was still a "electronic" kind of sound in the bottom end with hard edges. Besides that though, very good for the money and Im surprised the TBAAM sounds so good in comparison for such less money.
From what Ive read here the Silverstone DAC is close to but not quite up to the level of the HR Micro Dac, and it has gotten several good reviews here when it first came out. Haven't heard too much about it since then. The Micro DAC is killer, though, and you should definately check it out if it is in your price range.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 35
I should clarify a little that I'm using the original Echo Indigo, the one before the I/O and DJ options, which is I think very similar to the DJ except that both outs are controlled by the volume knob. I'm also on the old look of the TBAAM, the one now on clearance from Turtle Beach's ebay store, as I notice there are two versions pictured in various places. As far as I know this is just a difference in the housing, though.

I should mention one small warning with the TBAAM: used directly into highly sensitive headphones, it can be difficult to adjust the volume as you'll be using the fine gradations of the lowest end.

In the end, be warned that the TBAAM is NOT a fine-sounding piece of equipment, it's just a cheap way to make an easily discernible improvement over stock laptop sound. The Echo also represents a similar improvement, and may well better please those looking for an analytic sound and 24-bit capability. I just slightly prefer the TBAAM's sound.

I also second what mlarn said right above about the Echo.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should clarify a little that I'm using the original Echo Indigo, the one before the I/O and DJ options, which is I think very similar to the DJ except that both outs are controlled by the volume knob.

DJ line out is clearly superior to headphone output that is molested by internal opamp.
You may also want to try comparing using a better than 192mp3 material which will definitely sound harsh through transparent equipment. TBAAM probably just hides it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DJ line out is clearly superior to headphone output that is molested by internal opamp.
You may also want to try comparing using a better than 192mp3 material which will definitely sound harsh through transparent equipment. TBAAM probably just hides it.

Does the line out of the DJ somehow bypass the internal opamp? It can't just be a signal straight out of the dac. Either way, it is certainly getting molested by the potentiometer.

Also a good point about the bitrate. I just used what I had on my computer, and I'm sort of skeptical about perceived differences beyond 192vbr. Still, to be fair, I should test out a few proper lossless albums to double check. It might widen the detail gap between the two options.

ON THE LOWER END OF THE SPECTRUM, though, I think a couple of us need to test generic USB sound controllers (like the one redleader once reviewed) against the TBAAM to determine whether the brand name and much higher price matter very much. Maybe I'll break down and grab one myself for the sake of further testing.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 35
you know the original echo indigo only has 2 headphone outs right? you're amping it twice in effect. Not a good idea generally. I know my Indigo (original) is powerful enough to drive my AKG k240M comfortably, and my A250's to a dangerously loud level. It does'n't improve a great deal when amped further, in fact it sounds no better to me through my Glite than through just the soundcard.

Plus, the echo doesn't resample like the TBAAM, thich is nice.

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 35
It sounds to me like your Echo Indigo might be defect. I have been using mine for a long time and it is actually pretty nice for a small mobile source.

There is absolutely no background noise with my card. It measures well with a very low noisefloor.

The analog volume control is of high quality and has the obvious benefit that you don't need to through away bits to do any volume control. If you had a common noise floor between this card and the TBAAM you might want to check whether that noise is injected by your amp.

I can drive my HD600 to dangerous levels without distortion in the bass which makes me suspect your unit might be damaged. The Indigo works not so well for low impedance headphones since the internal amplifier has much higher distortion at impdecances less 50 Ohms. This is at least true for the original model with two headphone outputs.

The Indigo comes with a native ASIO driver that let's you bypass kmixer. The TBAAM resamples everything in hardware to 48Khz.

I have not heard or measured the TBAAM but by comparison to my more expensive gear I can say that the Indigo is a pretty good source and I'd be surprised if the TBAAM comes anywhere close.

I don't know whether you have tried this but maybe you can listen to a replacement card.

Cheers

Thomas

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you know the original echo indigo only has 2 headphone outs right? you're amping it twice in effect. Not a good idea generally. I know my Indigo (original) is powerful enough to drive my AKG k240M comfortably, and my A250's to a dangerously loud level. It does'n't improve a great deal when amped further, in fact it sounds no better to me through my Glite than through just the soundcard.

Plus, the echo doesn't resample like the TBAAM, thich is nice.

Hi Craig, good to see you here. Yep, I am well aware of the fact that the first series Indigo just has a doubled headphone out and not a separate line out. I don't know whether the DJ version's line out would sound better than its headphone out (perhaps someone with a DJ will enlighten us), but in general I'm skeptical about the common argument that double-amping is inherently bad. Many of the DACs most highly-regarded on head-fi use an op amp in the dac section. For example: Fubar II and Zhaolu 2.5 both use a Burr Brown OPA2604, and a Lite Dac-ah also uses Burr Brown, though I'm not sure which chip. (I've linked to where I read these specs.) Moreover I see nothing on the Echo website to indicate whether the line out of the DJ really does bypass the opamp and not just the analog volume control.

What's more, though, for me the proof is in the pudding: my A250 sound better double-amped than they do straight out of the Echo. I'll double-check it, though, as your experience with the Gilmore seems to give reason to pause. Now, one reason I use my HOK 80-2 in this test and not my K240M is that the HOK 80-2 are even more difficult to drive well. For the sake of discussion, I'll throw in a couple of other headphones to the mix today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds to me like your Echo Indigo might be defect. I have been using mine for a long time and it is actually pretty nice for a small mobile source...

I think the criticisms we've seen so far in this thread are of two kinds: digital and analog. I'm not arguing about the Echo's digital superiority, I just don't care about it if my ear tells me the technically worse option is more pleasing.

Of the analog criticisms, let me dismiss a couple right away, no the unit is not defective. (edited out noise floor comment)

To be as clear as I can, I should say that I don't think the Echo sounds bad, it's just that the TBAAM sounds comparably good with a different presentation that so far I happen to prefer. I'll bring some cds to the office today to test if uncompressed tracks make a difference. In the meantime, I hope someone with a DJ will kindly give us some observations on the sound difference between the line out and the headphone out, so we can get to the bottom of that as well.

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 35
Thinking about it, I guess most DACs must use some kind of amp to get the signal up to a usable level. I'm more concerned that the amp in the Indigo is a headphone amp, and I'd imagine it to be amping a lot more than just pushing the signal to line level. But, having said that, I'm coming to the conclusion these days that if it sounds good, use it. Mind you I probably have cloth ears anyway. I'm just going on general principle that amping twice is bad.

I don't know about the noise floor though, mine is imperceptable at full volume with a track playing that's quiet. I'd go as far as to say it's pretty much silent, with my MS1's I tested it on last night. (I used a track with a big gap in it silent, but still playing a file).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back